PDA

View Full Version : Is Lampe next??

Chicago JK
12-26-2003, 10:31 PM
It looks like Isiah is challenging Lampe now. Man that great draft the experts said the knicks had is really turning out to be a bust.
Memphis -- In the five days since Isiah Thomas took the reigns as Knicks president and general manager, the Hall of Famer known for winning has shown little patience in the front office and the ambition of an NBA Napoleon. As he spoke to reporters deep inside the Pyramid before Friday's game against the Grizzlies, just how much of a philosophical rift exists with predecessor Scott Layden came into focus.

By drafting Mike Sweetney, Maciej Lampe and Slavko Vranes in June, Layden believed he was sowing the seeds of future prosperity. If only the Knicks would develop and nurture its young talent. Thomas has taken a sledgehammer to those plans. Thomas waived Vranes on Christmas Eve and activated Sweetney -- the ninth overall pick -- for the first time.

Then he took aim at the 6-11 Lampe, an 18-year-old from Poland that was projected as a Lottery Pick but slid to No. 30 instead.

"He's a guy who needs to work his tail off to be where I think he needs to be," Thomas said. "I need to see a greater work ethic from him. He's not there yet and we don't have a lot of time to wait for him. This ain't charity. This is a business. We all get paid a lot of money to do what we need to do."

Hitman
12-26-2003, 10:45 PM
He needs to see a greater work ethic from Lampe?

The guy has been GM for two days. Lampe said he had never even met Isiah until yesterday.

By the way, wasn't lack of a work ethic the reason Larry Legend canned his ass?

Max Power
12-26-2003, 10:45 PM
I'm glad he wasn't the GM here during Dirk's first year. The guy is 18, he might need a couple of years.

But then again if the Knicks cut Lampe I'd be glad to see the Mavs swoop in.

Hitman
12-26-2003, 10:46 PM
The Knicks can't cut him, he has a guaranteed contract.

But they could be stupid enough to trade him.

I hope they are.

EricaLubarsky
12-27-2003, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by: Hitman
The Knicks can't cut him, he has a guaranteed contract.

But they could be stupid enough to trade him.

I hope they are.

they arent getting S$%t for him anyway- oh and that "lack of work ethic" remark? That haunts a player who isnt there yet. Isiah might be right but if he wants to get rid of him he should have sung Lampe's praises before the trade like Nellie would have done.

madape
12-27-2003, 10:14 AM
I'm sure skin color has something to do with it. If Lampe's not careful, he could suffer the same fate as Jeff Foster, Austin Croshere, and Slavko Vranes. There's no place for a white man on Thomas's team. (note to Keith Van Horn, don't get too comfortable)

kg_veteran
12-27-2003, 11:41 AM
Thomas was a hell of a player, but like Michael Jordan, his skills don't extend into the front office (and they didn't extend into coaching either).

Cutting Vranes made no sense, and I think you can BANK on him making some dumb trades to put his "stamp" on the Knicks franchise. His recent comments would be cause for concern for me if I were a Knicks fan.

Vranes isn't ready based on watching him in TWO workouts.

Lampe is a slacker based on his observations in a 2-3 day span.

I only wish the Knicks had some talent to steal.

kg_veteran
12-27-2003, 11:41 AM
Double post.

Evilmav2
12-27-2003, 02:41 PM
Hmmmm...

What if we were forced to give up 'Toine or 'Twan (much as I would hate to lose either) for say, Kurt Thomas, Lampe, and a draft pick? Would the future upside of Lampe and a good draft pick be worth that steep price? Or could the unthinkable happen, and could we trade away spare parts for a Ward/Thomas and Lampe package? Thomas is a fool (I know; I had to watch his coaching idiocy when I was up in Indiana), but Lampe and draft picks are probably the only things worth trying to pilfer from that decrepid Knicks squad.

But even if it isn't us, knowing Thomas, smart money says that someone is going to steal this young 7-0 sharpshooter....

Speedy
12-27-2003, 02:55 PM
With Thomas running the show, I could definitely see NY and Portland becoming trading partners.

Max Power
12-27-2003, 03:25 PM
Dallas trades: SG Marquis Daniels (4.2 ppg, 1.0 rpg, 0.6 apg in 7.5 minutes)
Dallas receives: SG Maciej Lampe (4.2 ppg, 1.0 rpg, 0.6 apg in 7.5 minutes)
Change in team outlook: -4.2 ppg, -1.0 rpg, and -0.6 apg.

New York trades: SG Maciej Lampe (4.2 ppg, 1.0 rpg, 0.6 apg in 7.5 minutes)
New York receives: SG Marquis Daniels (4.2 ppg, 1.0 rpg, 0.6 apg in 17 games)
Change in team outlook: +4.2 ppg, +1.0 rpg, and +0.6 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED

New York gets out from under Lampe's contract and can renew Daniels (or not) at the end of the season.

madape
12-27-2003, 03:43 PM
I never was that facinated with Lampe. He seems to be to be a bit too slow and immobile to be regarded as highly as he was before the draft. I'd rank him behind other rookie Euros like Cabarkaba, Planinic, and Pavlovic in terms of talent and potential. To be honest, I might just rather have Daniels. At least he's ready to play for this team.

Lampe has NBA size, but does he have NBA skills? From the little I've seen of him, I think it's still a major question.

Big Lo
12-28-2003, 07:12 AM
its more than feasible that thomas is on the right track regarding lampe. a lot of players here in the nba do slack off and its irritating to the organization thats paying them, because theyre job depends on it. theres a lack of accountability with players, thats stemmed off to the managment when things dont go right. and i for on edont blame thomas for sending that accountability back to the players making these enourmous contracts. of course it should take more than a few days to evaluate a player but he may have seen the same thing a lot of other scouts saw. a detrement to any players game is 'lack of practice' and its easy to spot when a player is doggin it. management doesnt have the luxury of a few years to get things organized like they used to do in a losing situation, and thomas is right, the knicks dont have time to wait. btw if a lack of effort is something that haunts a player, than he needs to go home to his parents because the nba isnt the place for him. this is entertainment business, and hes making a tong of money at a very young age and theres no damn reason for him not to be bustin his ass everyday, to earn every penny.

btw also... Jeff Foster, Austin Croshere were slakers and didnt have much talent at all. u tellin me there was a better reason for them riding the bench??

MightyToine
12-28-2003, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by: Big Lo
its more than feasible that thomas is on the right track regarding lampe. a lot of players here in the nba do slack off and its irritating to the organization thats paying them, because theyre job depends on it. theres a lack of accountability with players, thats stemmed off to the managment when things dont go right. and i for on edont blame thomas for sending that accountability back to the players making these enourmous contracts. of course it should take more than a few days to evaluate a player but he may have seen the same thing a lot of other scouts saw. a detrement to any players game is 'lack of practice' and its easy to spot when a player is doggin it. management doesnt have the luxury of a few years to get things organized like they used to do in a losing situation, and thomas is right, the knicks dont have time to wait. btw if a lack of effort is something that haunts a player, than he needs to go home to his parents because the nba isnt the place for him. this is entertainment business, and hes making a tong of money at a very young age and theres no damn reason for him not to be bustin his ass everyday, to earn every penny.

btw also... Jeff Foster, Austin Croshere were slakers and didnt have much talent at all. u tellin me there was a better reason for them riding the bench??

Hmph! And some boston Fans accused Walker of being Lazy!! i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif

HAH!

mavs_afroman
12-29-2003, 02:21 AM
Originally posted by: Big Lo

Isaiah has absolutely no way to tell what kind of a player Lampe is in 2-3 days. He especially can't get a good enough feel to make public comments about him. Also, Croshere and Foster have played well before and after Isaiah coached Indiana but they couldn't hardly get on the court when he coached. That's just a little fishy, no need to deny it.

You might be right but there's no eveidence that would make me give Isaiah the benefit of the doubt.