PDA

View Full Version : Mark Aguirre hired by the Knicks...

kg_veteran
12-30-2003, 10:10 AM
According to the NY Post (read this on HoopsHype), Aguirre has been brought in to work with the team's big men. They also hinted that he might be a head coaching candidate in the near future...

I wish we'd have brought him in when he was available. I think he'd have been more useful than Ro, Brad, or Derek as an assistant...

Simon2
12-30-2003, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by: kg_veteran
According to the NY Post (read this on HoopsHype), Aguirre has been brought in to work with the team's big men. They also hinted that he might be a head coaching candidate in the near future...

I wish we'd have brought him in when he was available. I think he'd have been more useful than Ro, Brad, or Derek as an assistant...

Its that Isiah connection.

dirno2000
12-30-2003, 10:35 AM
Couldn't agree more. Aguire worked with Mash his first couple of years here and did a good job with Indiana's big men.

On the bright side we still have Paul Mokeski.i/expressions/rolleye.gif

MavKikiNYC
12-30-2003, 10:57 AM
It would be ironic if Aguirre turned out to be a good coach, considering what a headache he was for Motta.

I've never longed to have him associated with the Mavericks, and in fact, would've liked to've seen him leave a little earlier in his career when he might've brought more than an aged, breaking down Adrian Dantley in return.

Aguirre was a front-runner much like Walker, in that he put up big numbers but disappeared at crucial junctures. Even worse, Aguirre's disappearances were often related to some perceived (by him) injury.

I don't miss him, and will always tend to be rather suspect of anyone allied with Isaiah Thomas. Bring Aguirre on head coach of the NYKs--it will be an unmitigated failure, and may serve to hasten Thomas's departure.

I hate the NYKs.

Dooby
12-30-2003, 11:01 AM
Yeah. I was reading the article that said the Knicks were going to sign Leon Smith and it mentioned that the Knicks had hired Aguirre and I thought the same thing-why didn't we offer a job to Aguirre? If you didn't know, Aguirre used to go on the Ticket with Bob and Dan all the time and talk basketball and the Mavs. He still loves the Mavs. He'd have taken a job in Dallas in a second. But I guess working with a former teammate in Thomas is pretty good, too.

TripleDipping
12-30-2003, 11:12 AM
On the bright side we still have Paul Mokeski.i/expressions/rolleye.gif

Man, that just makes my day. i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

kg_veteran
12-30-2003, 12:58 PM
Kiki - Your perception of Aguirre as a player is pretty much correct (other than the fact that he was a phenomenal scorer), but he's a great guy now. He owns a successful business in the Metroplex if my memory serves correctly, and he has done a great job with the development of players like Mashburn and Jermaine O'Neal.

Probably the main reason he wasn't asked back is that Cuban would then be forced to retire the jersey of the greatest player in Mavs history.

grbh
12-30-2003, 04:10 PM
Probably the main reason he wasn't asked back is that Cuban would then be forced to retire the jersey of the greatest player in Mavs history.

Why would he want his jersey retired next to the biggest spare ever to have his jersy retired in the history of sports (Brad Davis). I hear the Mavs are considering retiring Eisley's jersey also.

This is a great hire for the Knicks. Clearly Aguirre helped in Oneal's development.

On another note, why did Aguirre leave the Pacers. Did he quit, get booted? Anyone know the story on that.

dirno2000
12-30-2003, 04:14 PM
As far as I know he left when Zeke was fired.