PDA

View Full Version : Sacramento Kings/NY Knicks

MavKikiNYC
01-02-2004, 08:13 PM
Given this article:

Where will Webber fit it?

In 10 seasons as one of the NBA's premier power forwards, Chris Webber has played 596 regular-season games and averaged 22.2 points, 10.2 rebounds, 4.4 assists, 1.5 steals and 1.7 blocks while shooting 49 percent.

But as his 11th season hangs in the balance without a single minute played and the calender already flipping to the new year, we are left wondering what his numbers could have been in the 221 career games he's missed to injury (so far) and what we can possibly expect in game No. 597.

"Shooting is probably all he'll do for a while until he gets a sense of where he is," Kings coach Rick Adelman told the Sacramento Bee. "He'll get out there with the other guys gradually. He might do some light one-on-one work as the week moves on to see how his knee responds. But practice? I don't know if that's the right word."

Chris Webber's absence hasn't hurt the Kings in the standings.
By the "other guys," Adelman is referring to Peja Stojakovic, having the finest season of his career with 25 points a game on 49 percent shooting while making 2.6 3-pointers a game; Brad Miller, having the finest season of his career at 15.2 points, 10.6 rebounds and 4.9 assists per game on 51 percent shooting; and Mike Bibby, having the finest season in his time with the Kings at 17 points and 5.5 assists per game.

"It has nothing to do with me," Adelman said of Webber's progress and pending return. "I can only do what Chris and the medical people say we can do. They tell us what they want him to do and how far he can go. It was good to see him shooting with the guys and getting involved. I think it's been real frustrating for him, and that's why he says he wants to 'practice,' just to be back with the team."

But as Webber inches closer to a full return, Adelman and the Kings have to be wondering about how the shot distribution will change. The Kings' offense, which has been one of the most consistently prolific in the history of the league due in large part to Webber, might have moved on without him.

Last year with Webber, Sacramento averaged 101.7 points on 46 percent shooting. This year, those numbers are 104.1 points and 46.4 percent shooting.

Last year, the team went 59-23, a .719 winning percentage. So far this year, they are 21-8, a .724 percentage.

"Once he gets on the court and we can see him run and see him jump, then we can get a sense of what's going on: 'OK, he's a couple of weeks away,' " Adelman said. "It's going to be a process for him. I do know that once he's healthy, we got some pretty good guys out there. I don't want to see him struggle and have to sit out a week or two because it was too early to bring him back."

It speaks volumes for the Kings' production without Webber that Adelman can seem so unconcerned about the return of a guy who makes $15.9 million a year -- or roughly 23 percent of the team's $69.5 million payroll (the fifth-highest payroll in the league and $4 million more than the Lakers', by the way). Could Webber have become more dependent on the Kings than he is a dependable player for them?

Would Sacramento make the following trade with the NYKs?

Webber, a #1 Pick and a #2 Pick (picks come in consecutive years)

for

Van Horn
Lampe
Doleac
Rights to Vujanic

Would you do this deal if you were Geoff Petrie?

Would you do this deal if you were Isiah Thomas?

Hitman
01-02-2004, 09:12 PM
Webber may be expendable...now that Peja is the greatest shooter in the history of the NBA. It will be a fine line with Sacrento. Peja is now the best player on that team, bar none. Hell, he may be the MVP of the entire league (despite Dr. Jack's senile opinion.) Webber will be an asset when he returns, but not if he tries to dominate the offense and take the obscene amount of shots he took last year.

Walkerforthree
01-03-2004, 01:08 AM
Originally posted by: Hitman
Webber may be expendable...now that Peja is the greatest shooter in the history of the NBA. It will be a fine line with Sacrento. Peja is now the best player on that team, bar none. Hell, he may be the MVP of the entire league (despite Dr. Jack's senile opinion.) Webber will be an asset when he returns, but not if he tries to dominate the offense and take the obscene amount of shots he took last year.

Im sorry, but Peja is a shooter, nothing more. For a renowed passing team, his assist per game are PATHETIC

The only thing more patheric is Peja's FREAKIN 5 REBOUNDS PER GAME! He is 6 foot freakin 10 inches and he averages 5 boards a game, putrid.

Nash13
01-03-2004, 02:11 AM
wft, when you're on a team like the Kings, they do everything as a team instead of relying on one person to do something for one stat. So that's why you never see any of their players in the top ten assist, rebounding, steals, etc.

Last time they started a season without Webber, they started like 20-5. I think they are a better team without Webber. They could use him as trade bait to put depth back in their bench.

Walkerforthree
01-03-2004, 02:17 AM
Originally posted by: Nash13
wft, when you're on a team like the Kings, they do everything as a team instead of relying on one person to do something for one stat. So that's why you never see any of their players in the top ten assist, rebounding, steals, etc.

Last time they started a season without Webber, they started like 20-5. I think they are a better team without Webber. They could use him as trade bait to put depth back in their bench.

you just helped MY point. Webber, Divac, Christie, Bibby, Miller all average or have averaged 4 plus assist, notice who's missing? Peja, wonder why?

And 5 rpg is god awful by a 6"10 guy period

Jamisonite
01-03-2004, 02:48 AM
Webber wont be going to NY...NY is rebuilding and hes too old to be rebuilt around

MavKikiNYC
01-03-2004, 11:29 PM
NYKs don't rebuild. The just keep on patchin'.

EricaLubarsky
01-04-2004, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by: MavKikiNYC
NYKs don't rebuild. The just keep on patchin'.

thats true. They have never started rebuilding and they have needed to for a while. All the commentators say that New York is such a big city that it makes it hard to just give up and start rebuilding. There is no denying that they have been a bad team for a long time and the patches they have tried have not worked.

SeriousSummer
01-04-2004, 02:46 PM
Wouldn't do it if I'm Sacramento. Van Horn isn't that good, the other guys are projects or unproven.

Move the draft choices around, and it might be worth doing. Something like:

Webber for Van Horn, Lampe, rights to Vujanovic and NY's 2004 No. 1 would be more reasonable.