PDA

View Full Version : The Kings at the top

Chiwas
01-03-2004, 07:32 PM
Sacramento defeated the Clippers today and got the best record of the NBA, half a game ahead of the Lakers.

With important changes in the offseason, and without big names like the Lakers. And without its best player.

Similar to SA, which in turn, had important changes and is only a game behind.

Luck?

Easy schedules?

No back-to-back games?

Biased officiating?

Long training camp?

Better weather?

Arnold as governor?

NO....it's as simple as GOOD COACHING, imo.

grndmstr_c
01-03-2004, 07:48 PM
Carlisle's a good coach, but they also got a bit lucky with Miller. Even they didn't expect him to come in and fit into their system the way he has. A favorable early chedule and a training camp free of blockbuster deals didn't hurt either.

Variant
01-04-2004, 01:28 AM
We are playing well right now, but there's a long way to go. The team has some defensive problems that will need to be addressed if we're going to go anywhere in the playoffs, and also we'll have to see how Webbers return will affect the team. We need him in the long run, but I'm sure there'll be a hiccup for a few games.

HCA is very important for our team, so doing well in the regular season is a bit more important for the Kings than say the Lakers or SA.

MikeB
01-04-2004, 02:14 AM
Kings are at the top for just one reason. 18 home games against 12 road games. They have only played 7 division games and 18 conference games. They have yet to play the Lakers or Spurs...and they are 1-1 against Minny and 0-1 against the Mavs. The schedule has been weak and predominately home flavored for the Kings so far this season...as it was with Dallas last year. We will see in the next month or so just who is who.

NBAGnome
01-04-2004, 07:13 AM
Brad Miller and Stojakovic are both having their best seasons of their careers, as well. Though presumably i'd expect a decline in both their stats with the return of Webber. Stojakovic won't be the main option...

Chiwas
01-04-2004, 11:38 AM
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid97/p11becd60583b08cbfb0697ff7e6d0a08/fa12884f.jpg

Scary Conference! And a lot of statistics to think on. A couple of more wins and the Mavs won't look bad in the table. 4 teams with 20+ wins. Only four teams under .500. 247 wins, 197 losses (it seems the East has let escape some games).

LoveMyMavs14
01-04-2004, 07:50 PM
Sacramento has been playing well, I won't deny that....but they HAVE had the easiest schedule in the entire league, and they haven't had to deal with injuries (Chris Webber is always out, he doesn't count anymore...i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif). When he DOES come back, I think they will lose a few games....not only because they'll start playing some real teams, but also because they'll need to integrate one of their main players back into the system, like everyone else has had to do already.

FreshJive
01-04-2004, 11:57 PM
Sacramento may have had an easy schedule, but at least they are taking care of business against the sorry teams (without their best player) unlike the Mavs this year.

Peja_owns
01-05-2004, 07:40 PM
Easy schedule or not, all west teams will have to play eachother the same amount of times throughout the season. So lets say this month of January Dallas has an easy schedule and winning while the Kings have a very tough schedule and with 5 back to backs and playing mainly on the road including a 6 game west road trip and lets say the kings struggle, does that mean the kings are better just because they had tougher competition? No. I don't even look at rating teams until when the season is ending.