PDA

View Full Version : Celtics suspend Baker for violating treatment program

MavsFanFinley
01-06-2004, 07:33 PM
Celtics suspend Baker for violating treatment program

January 6, 2004

BOSTON (AP) -- Boston Celtics forward Vin Baker was suspended for three games Tuesday after the team said he failed to comply with his alcohol treatment program.

Baker got off to a strong start this season after missing most of the last one, but recently lost his starting job. He said Monday night that his aftercare program was going ``great.''

But the Celtics said Tuesday they were notified of Baker's noncompliance by a doctor jointly chosen by the player and the team to oversee the program. That results in an automatic fine of an undisclosed amount and a three-game suspension, effective immediately.

The aftercare program agreement prohibits the Celtics from revealing details, and Baker could not be reached for comment.

Baker joined the Celtics before last season in a trade with Seattle. But he played poorly, and last February accepted a suspension from the Celtics and checked himself into rehab for alcoholism while his teammates advanced to the second round of the playoffs.

Evilmav2
01-07-2004, 02:34 AM
That's a shame. I had him on a couple of fantasy BBall teams, and when his production fell off about five weeks ago I wondered if he might have also been falling off the wagon. Best of luck to Vin; I hope this suspension helps him get back on course to achieving a full recovery from his problems.

TripleDipping
01-07-2004, 11:54 AM
What a downer. I was rooting for Baker to bounce back since the start of the season.