PDA

View Full Version : Charlie Ward to the Spurs* ???

Drbio
01-07-2004, 08:23 AM
Ward on his way to the Spurs?

Suns GM Bryan Colangelo confirmed that the Suns will waive Charlie Ward. Ward has a buyout clause in his contract that must be evoked by Jan. 10th. The Suns will save roughly $3.5 million by waiving him and another $3.5 million in luxury tax penalties.

Where will he end up? Sources claim that Thomas was working on a deal, before the Suns trade on Monday, that would've sent Ward to San Antonio as part of a three-team deal that would sent Ron Mercer to Detroit and Bob Sura to New York. Now that Ward will be a free agent, he can choose where he wants to play. However, there are strong indications that he'll still land in San Antonio. The Spurs are desperate for a veteran point guard to back up Tony Parker. Other teams, including the Mavericks, Nets and Pacers, have also shown interest in him.

kg_veteran
01-07-2004, 08:42 AM
I saw this as well, Doc. I'd be sick if they got him. He could really help them.

Drbio
01-07-2004, 08:47 AM
I think he would fit nicely in San Antonio.

MavsFanFinley
01-07-2004, 09:49 AM
Taken from the Fort Worth Star-Telegram.

No interest in Ward

Donnie Nelson dismissed speculation that the Mavs could be interested in obtaining point guard Charlie Ward, who was released by the Suns on Tuesday. Ward was part of a eight-player blockbuster trade that sent Stephon Marbury to the Knicks on Monday.

"I just don't know if there's any room for him," Nelson said. "We have a full roster, and we're happy with Travis [Best], so I can't see that scenario happening."

kg_veteran
01-07-2004, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by: MavsFanFinley
Taken from the Fort Worth Star-Telegram.

No interest in Ward

Donnie Nelson dismissed speculation that the Mavs could be interested in obtaining point guard Charlie Ward, who was released by the Suns on Tuesday. Ward was part of a eight-player blockbuster trade that sent Stephon Marbury to the Knicks on Monday.

"I just don't know if there's any room for him," Nelson said. "We have a full roster, and we're happy with Travis [Best], so I can't see that scenario happening."

If you're happy with Travis, could you play him 15 minutes a night, please?

kg_veteran
01-07-2004, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by: Drbio
I think he would fit nicely in San Antonio.

No doubt. His defense, passing, and ability to hit the three would work well there.

Chicago JK
01-07-2004, 10:44 AM
Ward fits in perfectly with the Spurs. He has the same demeaner that the team has. he will be a very solid backup. Plus he can shoot the three pretty well and Duncan will get him a lot of open looks. I am not crazy about Ward and am not too worried the Mavs are not interested, but I wish he wouldn't go to San Antonio.

Drbio
01-07-2004, 10:52 AM
Is it really to much to ask for Nellie to give up 15 minutes to Best?

Ward could be one of those kinds of guys that eases you over the top (for San Antonio). Good teams that add quality players all of a sudden become awfully damn hard to beat.

WayOutWest
01-07-2004, 10:59 AM
I think Ward would also be a great fit in L.A. No not the Lakers. The Clippers are playing PG by commitee right now with Marco, Q and Overton. Only Overton is a natural PG and he SUCKS! Ward might move into the starting line up for the Clips and they've been making some noise lately, noise being a relative term when it comes to the Clippers.

I hope Ward ends up a Clip cause they sure could use a player like him.

kg_veteran
01-07-2004, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by: Drbio
Is it really to much to ask for Nellie to give up 15 minutes to Best?

I wouldn't think so. He's held the lead in the last 5 games or so when he's been in, and increased it in every instance but one. What more can you ask for out of a backup PG?

The guy is a solid veteran who is clearly the most skilled backup point guard we have. Why not just commit to him for the next couple of months and see if he can develop some consistent play? Giving him 15 minutes here, 5 minutes there isn't the way to do it.

Plus, Tony Delk is absolutely worthless and should never see the light of day.

Ward could be one of those kinds of guys that eases you over the top (for San Antonio). Good teams that add quality players all of a sudden become awfully damn hard to beat.

It's definitely a nice acquisition for them if it comes to fruition. As JK pointed out, he'll knock down plenty of threes for them, and I think he has the experience to really be a factor for them at playoff time.

SpursFan72
01-08-2004, 12:57 PM
Here's the latest on Ward:

Spurs wait for Ward to pick his team

By Johnny Ludden
San Antonio Express-News

Web Posted : 01/08/2004 12:00 AM

Charlie Ward gave indication Wednesday he was seriously considering signing with the Spurs, but team officials refused to be optimistic about their chances of landing the point guard because they did not have an agreement with him.

Spurs officials had multiple conversations with Ward's agent, Craig McKenzie, on Wednesday, but never spoke to Ward himself. McKenzie, according to one source, told the Spurs that Ward was leaning strongly toward joining them, but he first wanted to examine his other options.

Ward also told an acquaintance of his on the Spurs that he was interested in signing with the team. Spurs officials had hoped to fly to New York on Wednesday to speak with Ward in person, but were told a meeting was not necessary.

Despite the assurances, team officials said they had not grown any more confident about signing Ward because he had yet to commit to a deal. Ward, who was released by Phoenix on Tuesday, cannot sign with a team until he clears waivers at 10 a.m. Friday.

Ward is expected to make his decision by Friday, if not today. The Spurs will send a plane to pick up Ward on Friday morning if he agrees to sign with them.

If Ward is signed, the Spurs will have to place a player on the injured list to make room for him. But they don't have immediate plans to waive either Jason Hart or Alex Garcia, their current backup point guards. Both players will have their salaries guaranteed for the rest of the season because they will not pass through waivers by Saturday.

Spurs officials remained wary about their chances of getting Ward because of the competition they face from New Jersey and Houston. One Eastern Conference official said he thought as many as 12 teams, including Indiana, Orlando and the Los Angeles Clippers, inquired about Ward on Wednesday.

Because they are over the salary cap, the Spurs are limited to offering Ward a pro-rated salary of $1 million, the NBA minimum for players with nine years of service. With 47 games remaining on the Spurs' schedule, Ward would get a little less than $600,000 before taxes.

The Nets and Rockets can significantly outbid the Spurs because they each have a $1.5 million cap exception to spend. Ward also is eligible to receive all the exception, unlike a minimum-salary contract, which must be pro-rated.

New Jersey, however, has given indications it is not willing to spend the exception because of the possible luxury-tax hit the team might receive this summer, the Eastern Conference official said. The Nets released backup point guard Robert Pack on Wednesday, but might re-sign him to a 10-day contract if they do not get Ward.

Though signing with the Nets would allow Ward to stay close to his family his home in Connecticut is a 45-minute drive from New Jersey the official said he thought Ward would end up with one of the Texas teams. Dallas officials said they are not pursuing Ward.

Houston has similar luxury-tax concerns that might keep it from offering more than the league minimum, but Rockets coach Jeff Van Gundy has a close relationship with Ward from his days as coach in New York.

The Spurs have aggressively pursued Ward because he could fill two of their needs: a veteran backup point guard and a dependable 3-point shooter. Ward, who is in his 10th season, also is regarded as a tough-minded player who values defense. In 35 games with the Knicks this season, he averaged 8.7 points, points and 4.9 assists in 23.6 minutes while shooting 42.8 percent from 3-point range.

Ward spent his entire career with New York before he was traded to Phoenix on Monday. The Suns waived him because they did not want his $6 million contract to become guaranteed for the rest of the season.

razap
01-09-2004, 02:01 PM
ward signed today withthe SPurs.

http://news.mysanantonio.com/story.cfm?xla=saen&xlb=211&xlc=1111252&xld=211