PDA

View Full Version : Jamal Crawford on the trading block??

mavsfanforever
01-09-2004, 08:14 PM
Paxson looking to trade Jamal (http://www.suntimes.com/output/bulls/cst-spt-bull091.html)

Bulls operations chief John Paxson has been gauging trade interest in Jamal Crawford, according to a league source, but no deal appears imminent.

If it seems that paragraph has been recycled from previous seasons, there are reasons to pay closer attention this year.

The main reason is Paxson. He's facing his first trade deadline Feb. 19 after supplanting Jerry Krause at the end of last season, and he already has pulled the trigger on several transactions. He has traded Jalen Rose, Donyell Marshall, Lonny Baxter and Roger Mason Jr. He didn't re-sign free agents Fred Hoiberg or Trenton Hassell. He bought out Dalibor Bagaric's contract and is working on a settlement with Jay Williams.

Get the picture? Paxson has changed more than half the roster, and he has been on the job less than nine months.

Paxson also changed coaches, and his intent is to fill Scott Skiles' roster with players who meet his and Skiles' criteria.

Crawford doesn't seem like a great fit. Skiles defended him Thursday, but benching him during the fourth quarter of the last two games doesn't reflect a ton of confidence.

Still, dealing Crawford won't be easy. The Bulls' two sought-after commodities are Eddy Curry and Tyson Chandler, and Paxson has maintained they are the only untouchables, at least for the moment. Paxson hasn't said so, but it's likely Kirk Hinrich also fits in that category.

The problem with dealing Crawford is he's still on his rookie contract, which means the fourth-year guard is making $2.57 million. It's unlikely the Bulls could get back an impact player for that price. Then again, Rose once was considered untradeable because of his contract.

The Bulls would love to acquire a player such as Atlanta's Shareef Abdur-Rahim or Indiana's Al Harrington -- both of whom reportedly are available -- but they would have to include another contract, and there's minimal interest in the rest of the Bulls' roster. Miami's Eddie Jones also is a long shot.

So at least for the time being, Crawford, 23, remains with the Bulls.

"There seems to be this pressure all the time here, pressure on the coach to play Jamal and pressure on Jamal to do certain things,'' Skiles said. "I don't know what has warranted that, honestly. Jamal's a very good player, but in order to have lasting effect, [the minutes] have to be earned.

"I'm not down on Jamal. ... I told Jamal I know that he's frustrated about not being in there in critical moments at the end of games, and I've been there myself as a player, so I understand it. But you have to do what's necessary in all aspects of the game in order to stay out there. He was fine with it.''

Skiles took a jab at the media for asking about Crawford's offensive woes.

"Every question is about offense,'' Skiles said. "I don't understand this. I thought this was a basketball town. There's another end of the court, too.''

Crawford's frustration is visible, but he vowed to work with Skiles to improve.

"I thought we were on the same page when he first got here, and I still feel like we're on the same page,'' Crawford said. "He expects a lot out of me, and I try my best to give it to him. I'm not really worried about it.''

Nash13
01-09-2004, 10:24 PM
Wrong forum, but i'd much like Crawford on this team. They must have a lot of confidence in Hinrich now.

The only problem is they would want backcourt for him, probably a shooting guard, and they're not going to get much from us.

If possible, i say trade Delk/Daniels for him, but that's as far as i go.

Nash13
01-09-2004, 10:31 PM
Dallas trades: SG Marquis Daniels (4.4 ppg, 1.1 rpg, 0.7 apg in 8.4 minutes)
PG Tony Delk (6.6 ppg, 2.1 rpg, 0.9 apg in 16.7 minutes)
Dallas receives: PG Rick Brunson (3.3 ppg, 1.1 rpg, 2.3 apg in 11.1 minutes)
SG Jamal Crawford (16.7 ppg, 3.2 rpg, 5.5 apg in 34.8 minutes)
Change in team outlook: +9.0 ppg, +1.1 rpg, and +6.2 apg.

Chicago trades: PG Rick Brunson (3.3 ppg, 1.1 rpg, 2.3 apg in 11.1 minutes)
SG Jamal Crawford (16.7 ppg, 3.2 rpg, 5.5 apg in 34.8 minutes)
Chicago receives: SG Marquis Daniels (4.4 ppg, 1.1 rpg, 0.7 apg in 20 games)
PG Tony Delk (6.6 ppg, 2.1 rpg, 0.9 apg in 26 games)
Change in team outlook: -9.0 ppg, -1.1 rpg, and -6.2 apg

After that, we could probably cut Brunson and Best. That would make us more balanced. It would also allow Wahad to come off the IR. Don't know if that's a good or bad thing.

Lineup

Nash/Crawford/Steffansson
Finley/Howard
Walker/Jamison/Wahad
Dirk/Najera/Fortson
Bradley/N' diaye

mavsfanforever
01-09-2004, 10:33 PM
Are you kidding me. Crawford is a great offensive player. How many players would you see who drop 40+ points on consecutive games. he even had a 50+ game this season. I would give up much more than delk for this guy. Moreover, this should be in this section since this was posted on a newspaper and not some crazy trade idea like Rasheed for tariq abdul wahad.

MavsFanFinley
01-09-2004, 10:34 PM
Not sure why the Bulls would bite, but I like this trade a lot.

Dallas trades: Walker, Delk, Daniels, Najera

Dallas receives: Davis, Chandler, Crawford

mavsfanforever
01-09-2004, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by: MavsFanFinley
Not sure why the Bulls would bite, but I like this trade a lot.

Dallas trades: Walker, Delk, Daniels, Najera

Dallas receives: Davis, Chandler, Crawford

MFF is getting greedy here, not only you want crawford but you also want Chandler and Davis. I am not sure Paxson is that foolish.

MavsFanFinley
01-09-2004, 10:44 PM
mff, I'm still fooling around with it.

Rumors are that the Bulls are wanting to trade Davis too. If we include Finley, Walker, or Jamison, Davis will have to be involved to help balance out salaries. Otherwise, it'll be like 3-5 Bulls coming here for just one of those guys.

The trade above also works if you use Bradley instead of Najera.

Jeremiah
01-09-2004, 10:48 PM
also on insider:

Jamal Crawford back on the block? The strong play of rookie point guard Kirk Hinrich has put Jamal Crawford's future with the Bulls in doubt. Scott Skiles doesn't like Crawford's shot selection, nor his porous defense. The fact that he'll be demanding a huge contract next summer when he hits restricted free agency doesn't help his cause.
Jamal Crawford
Shooting Guard
Chicago Bulls

2003-2004 SEASON STATISTICS
GM PPG RPG APG FG% FT%
33 16.7 3.2 5.5 .398 .842

Crawford's big plus is his ability to play the point, but Skiles seems determined to keep Hinrich as the one running the whole show. Word is that Bulls GM John Paxson wants a more prototypical two guard and someone to take Eddie Robinson off his hands in return for Crawford.

There will be plenty of teams interested in Crawford, but the team that seems to have the best fit would appears to be Miami. If the Bulls are willing to swallow Eddie Jones' contract, a swap of Crawford, Robinson and Marcus Fizer for Jones and Caron Butler works under the cap. A Crawford-Dwyane Wade backcourt would be awesome for Miami, allow Lamar Odom to move back to his natural position at the three and even clears a little cap for next summer. The key to the deal would be Butler's health. He's struggled mightily to come back from knee surgery this summer, lowering his value considerably.

Nash13
01-09-2004, 10:55 PM
mff, Delk's put up some 40pt games a couple times. I believe he reached 50 in one game. You get the potential in Daniels and the veteran experience in Delk. I wouldn't do the trade, but it looks like the Bulls must be desparate if they think trading Crawford is going to help their cause.

mavsfanforever
01-09-2004, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by: Nash13
mff, Delk's put up some 40pt games a couple times. I believe he reached 50 in one game. You get the potential in Daniels and the veteran experience in Delk. I wouldn't do the trade, but it looks like the Bulls must be desparate if they think trading Crawford is going to help their cause.

Nash13, jamal makes only about 2 mil a year which is less than Delk(probably). I am sure as MFF said that they want to include Davis in the trade to get some good returns since bulls will not get a good return for Jamal if they are looking at the salary of 2+ mil.

MavsFanFinley
01-09-2004, 11:06 PM
Don't really want Robinson, but his contract is shorter than Jamison's.

Dallas trades: Jamison/Delk/Daniels

Dallas receives: Robinson/Chandler/Crawford

Nash13
01-09-2004, 11:16 PM
Nash13, jamal makes only about 2 mil a year which is less than Delk(probably). I am sure as MFF said that they want to include Davis in the trade to get some good returns since bulls will not get a good return for Jamal if they are looking at the salary of 2+ mil.

Well if that's the case, then there's no point of the Mavs going after him. If Dallas trades for Crawford/Davis, then we're probably going to get the short end of the stick. And the Nelsons are looking for no brainer trades.

BTW, that trade was accepted according to realgm.com.

Nash13
01-09-2004, 11:21 PM
mff, here's the only deal I think the Nelson's do. Note, this would not touch our core 5.

PF Danny Fortson (3.6 ppg, 5.0 rpg, 0.2 apg in 11.7 minutes)
PF Tariq Abdul-Wahad (3.6 ppg, 5.0 rpg, 0.2 apg in 11.7 minutes)
Dallas receives: SG Jamal Crawford (16.7 ppg, 3.2 rpg, 5.5 apg in 34.8 minutes)
PF Antonio Davis (9.6 ppg, 9.2 rpg, 1.6 apg in 33.7 minutes)
Change in team outlook: +11.7 ppg, +4.2 rpg, and +5.3 apg.

Chicago trades: SG Jamal Crawford (16.7 ppg, 3.2 rpg, 5.5 apg in 34.8 minutes)
PF Danny Fortson (3.6 ppg, 5.0 rpg, 0.2 apg in 27 games)
PF Tariq Abdul-Wahad (3.6 ppg, 5.0 rpg, 0.2 apg in 27 games)
Change in team outlook: -11.7 ppg, -4.2 rpg, and -5.3 apg

Dirkenstien
01-10-2004, 02:40 AM
Originally posted by: Nash13
mff, here's the only deal I think the Nelson's do. Note, this would not touch our core 5.

PF Danny Fortson (3.6 ppg, 5.0 rpg, 0.2 apg in 11.7 minutes)
PF Tariq Abdul-Wahad (3.6 ppg, 5.0 rpg, 0.2 apg in 11.7 minutes)
Dallas receives: SG Jamal Crawford (16.7 ppg, 3.2 rpg, 5.5 apg in 34.8 minutes)
Change in team outlook: +11.7 ppg, +4.2 rpg, and +5.3 apg.

Chicago trades: SG Jamal Crawford (16.7 ppg, 3.2 rpg, 5.5 apg in 34.8 minutes)
PF Danny Fortson (3.6 ppg, 5.0 rpg, 0.2 apg in 27 games)
PF Tariq Abdul-Wahad (3.6 ppg, 5.0 rpg, 0.2 apg in 27 games)
Change in team outlook: -11.7 ppg, -4.2 rpg, and -5.3 apg

This trade does not address our need for a 5 which is where our focal point of improvement should be. I'll give up Walker or Jamison and change in order to get Curry or Chandler and change(Antonio Davis)... only way we should do a trade with chicago is if we can first improve our 5 and then worry about crawford and antonio davis

SaltwaterChaffy
01-10-2004, 03:55 AM
He's a very nice player, and I'd be happy if we got him, but man, you just have to feel bad for the guy. He's been with the bulls for a few years now. Was a disappointment out of their draft, so they drafted Jay Williams. He competes with Jay the whole season, and then wins the starting job near the end. Then (due to the unfortunate motorcycle accident of Williams) the Bulls decide to draft Kirk Hinrich. And now, he's on the bench again, AND once again the subject of trade rumors.

I would say come to the mavericks, but then he'll have to deal with even more rumors once he gets here, because every player whose name doesn't start with "D" and end with "irk Nowitzki," is constant trade bait.

Nash13
01-10-2004, 10:07 AM
This trade does not address our need for a 5 which is where our focal point of improvement should be. I'll give up Walker or Jamison and change in order to get Curry or Chandler and change(Antonio Davis)... only way we should do a trade with chicago is if we can first improve our 5 and then worry about crawford and antonio davis

Uh, Davis played center for both Toronto and Chicago, even started at Center. And we also desparately need another back up point guard. The tempo of the game always goes down once Nash goes to the bench. We wouldn't lose that in Crawford.