PDA

View Full Version : Jazz: Harping out for the season

mavsfanforever
01-11-2004, 08:48 PM
Link (http://www.sltrib.com/2004/Jan/01112004/sports/128047.asp)
Jazz: Harpring out for season

By Phil Miller
The Salt Lake Tribune

After living with pain for six months, Matt Harpring is already daydreaming about what his right knee will feel like after a surgeon cleans it out. So now the Jazz get to daydream about what their team will be like when their leading scorer comes back.
Harpring has decided to have arthroscopic surgery on his knee, he said Saturday, a procedure that will keep him out of uniform for the rest of the season. "You never want to go through this, but I've been dealing with this pain the whole year," Harpring said. "It's going to be a relief to get it done, and when I start playing again and I don't have that pain, it's going to feel great."
It's not so great for the Jazz, who already have three players on the injured list and now must adjust to playing without a reliable 16-point scorer in the lineup. "It's a big loss for us," said center Greg Ostertag. "Even when Matt had an off-night shooting, he still did a lot of things to help the team. Hopefully it's something he can recover from."
According to the doctors Harpring consulted, it is. But had he kept playing on the knee, which first started bothering him last summer? "The last two doctors said, 'You don't play on this anymore. At all,' " Harpring said. " 'You don't want this to turn into something we can't fix.' "
The procedure will be performed in Vail, Colo., by orthopedic surgeon Richard Steadman, known these days as Kobe Bryant's doctor. Harpring doesn't know yet when it will take place, but "hopefully it's soon so I can get it done and get back."
That won't be for at least three months, the six-year veteran said, so Steadman told him "just plan on being out for the rest of the year and we'll see how rehab goes."

The bothersome spot is in the cartilage below his right kneecap, and is the result of normal wear and tear, Harpring said. There is no ligament damage, but his knee grew more painful as the season went on. "It just got frustrating out there, always trying to play with it," he said. "It got exhausting trying to play with the pain every night."
Jazz vice president Kevin O'Connor said the team has few options for replacing Harpring. "We've got 15 players, and they only allow you 15, so I'm not sure what we can do," he said. "We'll keep monitoring what comes up trade-wise, but we're not going to trade the future for the present."

rakesh.s
01-11-2004, 09:13 PM
this is really unfortunate..i thought Utah had a legit chance at the playoffs with this guy

mavsfanforever
01-11-2004, 09:17 PM
Actually UTAH might still make the playoffs. Raja Bell will probably get more minutes now. It is very unfortunate what is going on with a Jazz organization this season. First Sloan's wife has cancer and the Matt is out for the season.

kingrex
01-12-2004, 03:47 PM
It's amazing what Utah has done this year. Kudos to Sloane and his gang of over-acheivers. I'm afraid this team won't make the play-offs unless Kirilenko or Stevenson just takes over that team.