PDA

View Full Version : Laettner suspended for substance abuse

Psychedelic Fuzz
01-13-2004, 05:13 PM
Laettner suspended five games
New York, NY (Sports Network) - Washington Wizards forward Christian Laettner was suspended five games for violating the National Basketball Association's anti-drug policy.

Laettner will start his suspension, without pay, beginning Tuesday against the Houston Rockets.

"We're extremely disappointed that this happened." said Wizards President of Basketball Operations Ernie Grunfeld. "This comes as a surprise to us, as the league's substance abuse policy is confidential. I have spoken to Christian and he is embarrassed for his family, his teammates, the Wizards organization and the fans."

The 12-year veteran is averaging 6.7 points and 5.3 rebounds per contest this season.

The league would not comment on what illegal substance was involved.

01/13 16:16:24 ET

Max Power
01-13-2004, 05:18 PM
WOW! I would have never suspected. I am in shock.

dirno2000
01-13-2004, 05:46 PM
So Rasheed and Damon aren't the only player in the league that smoke weed?

MavKikiNYC
01-13-2004, 06:41 PM
People whose favorite players live in bongs shouldn't throw stones.

kg_veteran
01-13-2004, 09:35 PM
That is really shocking.

SaltwaterChaffy
01-14-2004, 04:34 AM
I wonder what exactly what he was abusing? It doesn't seem that shocking to me, the guy just kinda looks like a pothead. (Maybe it was that whole surfer haircut that he had going a few years ago.)i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gifi/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

Shaq Attack2
01-14-2004, 04:48 AM
Originally posted by: kg_veteran
That is really shocking.

Haha.

madape
01-14-2004, 10:18 AM
I wonder if he'll get expelled from the league for life like Roy Tarpley... probably not.

Big Boy Laroux
01-14-2004, 11:03 AM
well, he has longer hair now than he ever really has... so it fits, if you buy into that whole hippie thing.

personally, i think he tested positive for rogaine.

laettner before:
http://www.blackathlete.com/laetner.jpg

laettner now:
http://www.nba.com/media/act_christian_laettner.jpg

but to be serious, laettner has always been one of my favorite players. i was pumped when he came to the mavs. but as for this drug thing, hopefully he'll get past it. we don't know what it was. i could see it being pot though. laettner's getting up there in age. i think he needs it for his cataracts. i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

FreshJive
01-14-2004, 05:19 PM
Does the league do random testing on players who have never been in trouble before? I thought they only tested players who have already been caught. What did Laetner do to warrant a test? I hope they never test Nash.

MavKikiNYC
01-14-2004, 05:26 PM
Ouch, FJ. You're not supposed to talk about that.

Big Boy Laroux
01-14-2004, 05:39 PM
well, an article i read said someone can be suspended for one failed steroid test. but for other drugs, they would be suspended if they failed three tests.

FreshJive
01-14-2004, 05:45 PM
Oops my bad. But when Dirk is portrayed as Spicoli and Shaggy on the Jumbotron......