PDA

View Full Version : Rox v. Wolves

MavKikiNYC
01-17-2004, 05:33 PM
Rockets looking JVG-vintage lead-pipe defensive against the T-Wolves. Had held the Wolves to 20 points with 1:30 left in the first half, T-Wolves finishing the half with 26.

Wolves are doubtless tired, but the Rockets have made them look very, very bad, with leads of 30 near the end of Q3.

Are the Rox peronnel REALLY that much better defenders than the Mavs? Is Ming's 7.5 that much better than Mantis's 7.6? Or is it just amazing what a coach with a defensive mindset can do for a club. Makes you wonder what the Mavs would look like defensively with a differnet driver at the wheel.

LRB
01-17-2004, 06:19 PM
Is Ming's 7.5 that much better than Mantis's 7.6?

A 7.5 Yao Ming playing 37 minutes is infinitely better than a 7.6 Shawn Bradley recieving yet another DNP from Nellie. Shawn has yet to record 1 block shot while sitting on the bench.

EricaLubarsky
01-17-2004, 06:22 PM
The timberwolves were embaraced. When I saw the score I thought they had Troy Hudson and Wally Szerbiack shooting jumpers injured.

Yao Ming had one of the performances that people expected him to have everynight- 22points 15 rebounds 2 blocks on 56.3% shooting.

we can catch up a game and a half if we win tonight.

bernardos70
01-17-2004, 06:43 PM
Damn, bringing the Wolves right back to earth. I take it that Yao caused Garnett trouble.... can't the mantis do something similar to him when we play the T-pups? (and when Bradley is actually in the game?) i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif

stevie_franchise3
01-17-2004, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by: MavKikiNYC
Rockets looking JVG-vintage lead-pipe defensive against the T-Wolves. Had held the Wolves to 20 points with 1:30 left in the first half, T-Wolves finishing the half with 26.

Wolves are doubtless tired, but the Rockets have made them look very, very bad, with leads of 30 near the end of Q3.

Are the Rox peronnel REALLY that much better defenders than the Mavs? Is Ming's 7.5 that much better than Mantis's 7.6? Or is it just amazing what a coach with a defensive mindset can do for a club. Makes you wonder what the Mavs would look like defensively with a differnet driver at the wheel.

Yes the Rox personnel really are that much better at defending. We have two 7 ft'ers that control the paint and don't let anything come easy in the paint. With paint guarded our perimeter folks can be more agressive and if need funnel the shooter to the lane. We also have defensive minded players in Cuttino, Jackson and Cat. We also dont play that sissy ZONE either. Its mano e mano. I really wish they would get rid of the zone because Yao could really dominant then.

Anyways, the mavs needs more than a new coach to change the mindset. They need different players.

And for the record, we were a pretty good defensive last year. Van Gundy has just gotten the team to focus more. We were 8 in opponent scoring and 5 in opponent FG%

BTW that 26 was the franchise low for the Wolves. We have done that to quite a few folks this year.

stevie_franchise3
01-17-2004, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by: bernardos70
Damn, bringing the Wolves right back to earth. I take it that Yao caused Garnett trouble.... can't the mantis do something similar to him when we play the T-pups? (and when Bradley is actually in the game?) i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif

Actually it was Cato and the help team defense.

stevie_franchise3
01-17-2004, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by: MavKikiNYC
Is Ming's 7.5 that much better than Mantis's 7.6?

A BIG YES!

EricaLubarsky
01-17-2004, 07:01 PM
another immature post by an immature man-child.

stevie_franchise3
01-17-2004, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by: EricaLubarsky
another immature post by an immature man-child.

If its the truth I dont see how the post is immature?

dirno2000
01-17-2004, 07:21 PM
Why is ABC still using the floor-cam?

Dirkenstien
01-17-2004, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by: dirno2000
Why is ABC still using the floor-cam?

why not?

dirno2000
01-17-2004, 08:06 PM
It's the worst camera angle in the history of televised sports and it adds nothing to the broadcast.

Maybe it woulnt be as big of a deal if the announcers wouln't go to it like it's the 2nd coming of instant replay.

Misfit Mav
01-17-2004, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by: dirno2000
It's the worst camera angle in the history of televised sports and it adds nothing to the broadcast.

Maybe it woulnt be as big of a deal if the announcers wouln't go to it like it's the 2nd coming of instant replay.

I agree. I hate that thing. The last thing in the world that I want to do is look up NBA players' shorts.

Simon2
01-17-2004, 08:28 PM
Watched the game. Wolves looked at little tired. Even KG was hunched over most of the game. JJ had a good game though. Still don't want him.