PDA

View Full Version : Spurs lose in Detroit...

kg_veteran
01-19-2004, 05:56 PM
and the Mavs are back within two games of the defending champs in the Midwest. A loss by the Rockets tonight in Memphis would cap off a good day in the NBA.

dirno2000
01-19-2004, 06:04 PM
Det. is on fire. Our loss to them doesn't look so bad now. Although, you never like to get you ass kicked like we did.

Question: Are Indiana and Det legit title contenders? Consider that the winner of the West will be battered and bruised and could experience a mental letdown.

kg_veteran
01-19-2004, 06:56 PM
Yeah, the Detroit loss doesn't sting so bad when other Western contenders go in there and lose as well.

Are Detroit and Indiana legit title contenders? I'd lean more toward Indiana than Detroit. I don't think that Detroit can score enough in a playoff setting to get it done against a Western Conference team. Indiana would still be the underdog, but they seem to have enough offensive versatility and the great defense that would make them a legitimate threat to win a series.

Ask me again in a month.

mavsfanforever
01-19-2004, 07:53 PM
I am now pretty much convinced that DET and IND are title contenders and it would be very tough for the NJ NETS to make it to the finals this year. However, I do think some of the western conference power teams have under achieved except Kings. I still believe NJ NETS with their experience maybe the team that comes on top once playoffs roll.

MightyToine
01-19-2004, 08:52 PM
Walker's line against Detroit :

FG 3PT FT Reb AST PTS
4-11 0-5 1-4 6 2 9

11 shot attempts is good but taking 5 3-pters and having only 2 assists??? i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif

Hopefully when we face Detroit again, Walker's line would be something like this :

4-10(he can't shoot), 1-3(from 3pt range), 4-4(FTs baby!!), 12 Boards, 13 Assists, 12 points.

ANOTHER TRIPLE DOUBLE, BABY!!!!!

GO MAVS!!

OutletPass
01-19-2004, 09:52 PM
Has anyone actually been watching the Spurs game on League Pass during these losses ? If so, I'd be happy to hear your commentary on their slide.

In the East, only Indiana really puts fear in my heart....and I've thought that for a couple of years now...they have one hell of a lot of talent...and now that Isiah is gone...they may actually do something...

We seem to have NJ's number...that's a good matchup for us...and we usually kick Det. around...

But, yeah, Det does look much better this year...they've got a really nice collection of talent, too.

But, in the East, I think that it all runs through Indy. I think that they're the only East team that could compete if they werein the West...Det may get there, but I still don't think that they've gotten there yet..

Next year may be another question...I really like Okur...and I think that NEXT year Darko will get substantial PT and really establish himself...Det has some great youngs...next year they'll be even better than they are this year...

Murphy3
01-19-2004, 10:13 PM
As of right now, I'd say that Detroit and Indiana are legit title contenders. No, I don't think they are as good as the elite in the West, but I do give them more of a chance in a 7 game series if they get a favorable matchup.

Sure, that could change at the drop of the hat with either of those two teams.

Shaq Attack2
01-20-2004, 03:23 AM
I've been closely watching the Spurs on LP, and their great defense is simply not enough to beat elite teams when their offense is so disorganized and their "reliable" jump shooters aren't reliable. That, and the fact that they continue to have trouble closing out games.

razap
01-20-2004, 11:31 AM
first time i agree with shak attack. their defense does not overcome their missing wide open jumpers and their missed free throws. if they could make thier free throws they may have had the best record to this point. woulda, coulda, shoulda, they are struggling a bit. the only positive out of this recent string is they are not getting beat when they are playing at thew top of their game. the other teams seem much more fired up to play them than they are. right now the race is wide open but just as important is who will be playing at the top of their game when may rolls around.

OutletPass
01-20-2004, 03:58 PM
Thanks guys...I saw that they only scored 77 last night so your reports make a lot of sense.

Shaq Attack2
01-20-2004, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by: razap
first time i agree with shak attack.

i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

their defense does not overcome their missing wide open jumpers and their missed free throws. if they could make thier free throws they may have had the best record to this point. woulda, coulda, shoulda, they are struggling a bit. the only positive out of this recent string is they are not getting beat when they are playing at thew top of their game. the other teams seem much more fired up to play them than they are. right now the race is wide open but just as important is who will be playing at the top of their game when may rolls around.

Man are the Spurs a terrible FT shooting team. I still can't get over how bad they are this year. If they could just shoot 10% better from the line, which is definitely possible given how low their current FT % is, they'd have won a handful more games this season. Crunch time FT shooting for the Spurs has been horrid. No intangibles on offense to maintain a lead or stave off a run in the 4th this year.

Not looking good for the Spurs.

WayOutWest
01-20-2004, 06:45 PM
the only positive out of this recent string is they are not getting beat when they are playing at thew top of their game. the other teams seem much more fired up to play them than they are. right now the race is wide open but just as important is who will be playing at the top of their game when may rolls around.

I wouldn't consider it a positive since the don't play at the top of their game against the better teams and division leaders. They're actually terrible against the elite of BOTH conferences. They are in deep doo doo right now despite their record. I can't believe they've had such a drop off after returning all but one starter and 8 of 12 players from last year. I'd rate them 4th behind the Kings, Pups and Lakers in that orde, their role players need to come to life ASAP.

Intruder
01-21-2004, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by: WayOutWest

the only positive out of this recent string is they are not getting beat when they are playing at thew top of their game. the other teams seem much more fired up to play them than they are. right now the race is wide open but just as important is who will be playing at the top of their game when may rolls around.

I wouldn't consider it a positive since the don't play at the top of their game against the better teams and division leaders. They're actually terrible against the elite of BOTH conferences. They are in deep doo doo right now despite their record. I can't believe they've had such a drop off after returning all but one starter and 8 of 12 players from last year. I'd rate them 4th behind the Kings, Pups and Lakers in that orde, their role players need to come to life ASAP.

Actually, they lost 2 starters. Stephen Jackson and David Robinson. Right now, they have the same problem the Mavs had last year. They can't beat the "elite" teams. If they get out if this funk, they will be there at the end....

Intruder