PDA

View Full Version : First guaranteed winning season in a long time!!!!

TheKid
03-16-2001, 11:13 AM
I think we should all tip our hats off for the fact that the Mavericks have now guaranteed themselves a winning season. However I want to put a question out there? How many people think that the Mavericks should keep Don Nelson or should hand Donnie Nelson the job for good or go in another direction all together? The only reason I pose that question is because there were MANY fans just last year who wanted Nelson OUT OF HERE, so I want to know if people still feel that way now that they're winning, or they still want different leadership here?

djb
03-16-2001, 12:10 PM
I think most people wanted him out as general manager, rather than head coach. Only the bandwagon fans and other idiots wanted him out completely. He's a great coach, and I think the real fans have always known that (which explains the Mavs' yearly record improvements since he took over). Personally, I hope he stays while continuing to hold both positions. There aren't any other head coaches available that are clearly better for the job anyway.

LonestarROB
03-16-2001, 12:21 PM
I agree with DJ. There's nobody out there right now that could do any better. Though I like Donnie's energy and thought he did a good job when filling in for Don, he just didn't seem to get the same kinda effort and energy out of his players as big Don does.

LonestarROB
03-16-2001, 12:27 PM
and I'm definitely not ready to hand the job over to Moncrief(spl?).

TheKid
03-16-2001, 12:45 PM
I agree with both of you. I did think when they were struggling before I thought he should have given up the general manager position and just stick to the coaching aspect, but now everything he's done is coming together very nicely. I hope he keeps the job as well.

Evilmav2
03-16-2001, 02:39 PM
Don't forget about Del Harris either. When Don Nelson first underwent Cancer testing in November, I was somwhat unsatisfied with Del Harris' substitution patterns, but in all fairness he didn't have time to show what he could do. But I think that Donnie has done more than anybody to show that he deserves the job in the event that the elder Nelson dropped his coaching role... I don't think that Moncrief really deserves consideration at this point...

djb
03-16-2001, 02:46 PM
I agree but Donnie's already gone on record saying he doesn't want the head coaching job here.

scooterj5
03-16-2001, 04:07 PM
Del Harris won't be the head coach, not when Nelly is GM anyways.