PDA

View Full Version : My bet was Mavs at 53 wins..SA at 55. Minny at 48.

OutletPass
01-23-2004, 04:55 AM
Can we still do it ?

Question 1) ...Yes, I still think that we can pass SA...if Walker can keep his game in his pants.
Question 2) ....Will Minny fade in the reg season ? I still think that they'll fade, but they're keeping it up.

So, in the Midwest, who are looking at...Minny or Sa ?

seelenjaeger
01-23-2004, 09:20 AM
Denver i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

kg_veteran
01-23-2004, 09:42 AM
Can we win the division? Absolutely.

Who are we most likely competing with for the division title? Minnesota. San Antonio has played a relatively easy schedule so far, and things will continue to get tougher for them as the season rolls along. Then again, the Wolves haven't had to incorporate Wally back into the offense; that could be problematic.

The Mavericks still have their fate in their own hands. I'm not ready to say that 60 is out of reach yet. That's how hot I believe they can get.

LRB
01-23-2004, 10:02 AM
Yeah I think we can do it if we play at or near our best. Minny is our chief competition right now, but this season has been a little crazy so far. Who knows what will happen.

Male30Dan
01-23-2004, 11:46 AM
We are 26-16, which means to get to 60 wins, we would need 34 wins... We already have 16 losses, meaning the MOST losses we could have from here on out would be 6.

You think we can get so hot that we can finish out this year at 34-6??? I say IMPOSSIBLE, but I would love to get proven wrong!

Male30Dan
01-23-2004, 11:48 AM
Keep in mind that 6 games ago, we were 20-16, meaning from THAT point, a 60 win season would have meant we would have had to finish 40-6...

What would you have said then??? Hell, a week ago we actually had LRB and others posting about the Mavs being lottery bound...

We really need to stop going SO HIGH and SO LOW when our team wins and loses respectfully.

LRB
01-23-2004, 01:09 PM
Male22Dan I think the problem is that up until this recent win streak we had played no where like we did last year for more than a game or two at a time. If we can get back close to playing as good as we did last year, then we have an excellent chance. When you haven't seen that play through a large part of the season, and are nearer being out of the playoffs than winning the division, then it's quite reasonable to speculate that we might be lottery bound. In fact if we revert by to playing like we were a few weeks ago we still might land in the lottery. But if we continue to play like we have lately we can win it all. That's a huge swing, but there has been a huge swing in the Mavs performance this year.

kg_veteran
01-23-2004, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by: Male22Dan
Keep in mind that 6 games ago, we were 20-16, meaning from THAT point, a 60 win season would have meant we would have had to finish 40-6...

What would you have said then??? Hell, a week ago we actually had LRB and others posting about the Mavs being lottery bound...

We really need to stop going SO HIGH and SO LOW when our team wins and loses respectfully.

Dan, I'm not saying it will happen for sure. I'm saying it's possible. A more likely prediction is in the 50-55 win range. Then again, if they really have "turned the corner", 55-60 could be realistic.

jayC
01-23-2004, 01:17 PM
I hope we see a reversal of last season. Meaning that we peak at the end of the regular season and into the playoffs just as San Antonio did last seasonl. After all at one point San Antonio was 8 games back of the mavs for the fight for the division crown.

Male30Dan
01-23-2004, 01:26 PM
That is one helluva corner to turn!!! i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

Seriously, at this point, I would likely predict a 54-28 finish, but who knows! I think we "CAN" win more, and I also think we "CAN" win the division, but I seriously do not think we will do either. Now next year, if we let this team play together and COMPLETELY gel, with the only change being adding a backup PG, (assuming best leaves), and a big man in the middle, (Ostertag?), I see us DEFINITELY winning 60. That will simply be because we wont START 20-16!!! Had we started 26-10 or some such, definitely possible for the Mavs, we would be looking at a completely different season right now, (current record would be 32-10).

Regarding LRB's statement, I can see how you can do the see-saw thing with the Mavs; however, at some point, going from statements regarding us being lottery-bound to us being a 60-win team needs to be classified as knee-jerking. When we win a few games in a row, we should be a bit more realistic, as we should be more sensible when we endur the losing streaks. The Mavs are a VERY GOOD team, and I just hate seeing the drastic changes in attitude after ONE win or ONE loss... The mood of the board and the place where posts are made are determined by the win or loss. If we win, most posts are in the lounge and General portion of this site, yet when we lose, you will see many Trade posts popping up...

I dont know, I guess the TRUE FAN in me objects to swaying so strong back and forth... No knock on you LRB, I guess I just dislike the theory behind it. Im not trying to do the thought police thing, so sorry if all of this rant sounds like it.

superheadcat
01-23-2004, 01:43 PM
i can't tell how many games mavs could win at the end of the regular season, and i can't say i really care too much about that.

what i actually want is mavs being seeded in the top 3 spot in the west.

it is quite possible that faker, queens, tpups, spurs* and mavs will be the top 5 seeds. being in 4th would mean the team would have to beat 3 of the other top 4 teams to reach final.

it is of course possible, but that would be a heck of a journey.

Drbio
01-23-2004, 02:25 PM
To be the best, you should be willing to beat the best. This team can do it.

sike
01-23-2004, 03:14 PM
not only can they, but I believe (without further roster jumbling) they should be the favorites.....once they totally congeal, they should be what many thought they would be...dominating....

Hitman
01-23-2004, 04:09 PM
In defense of knee jerkers:

6 games ago, the Mavericks looked absolutely pitiful. While I personally, could not envision them going to the lottery, the possibility was still there because of their horrific play that didn't seem to be getting any better.

Today, the Mavericks are looking pretty damn good. They have, what is probably the best offense in the league. They have the third best rebounding team in the league. While I personally do not see them winning 60 games this season, it is certainly a possibility.

Male30Dan
01-23-2004, 04:20 PM
Hitman,

They arguably had the best offense in the league 6 games ago, not to mention as good, if not better of a rebounding team. The thing you didnt touch on that has changed their ability to succeed is their willingness to turn up the D in given situations, as well as each player finding their role on the team. Basically, regardless of the excuses, I just preferred that we take a look at what we were saying and honestly ask ourselves if we werent overreacting a bit!!!

LRB
01-23-2004, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by: Drbio
To be the best, you should be willing to beat the best. This team can do it.

You should also pick your battles. When's the last time a 4th seed won a championship?

Hitman
01-23-2004, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by: Male22Dan
Hitman,

They arguably had the best offense in the league 6 games ago, not to mention as good, if not better of a rebounding team. The thing you didnt touch on that has changed their ability to succeed is their willingness to turn up the D in given situations, as well as each player finding their role on the team. Basically, regardless of the excuses, I just preferred that we take a look at what we were saying and honestly ask ourselves if we werent overreacting a bit!!!

Yes, we are overreacting. The Mavs look great now. If they lose tonight by 20 to the Bulls, they will look terrible and people will be trying to figure what the hell is wrong, and how it can be fixed.

If they win tonight and then blow out the Kings by 20 on Sunday, people will be planning ticker tape parades.

A message board is a natural conducer for knee jerking.

bernardos70
01-23-2004, 06:32 PM
We can have a loss after every 5 wins from here on out..... if we keep that up, we'll finish with 60-22. i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif
@ chicago W
sac-to W
@seattle L
@utah W
Denver W
GS W
----------- 31-17
@N.O. L
Detroit W
@ATL W
NY W
@Memphis W
@Cleaveland W
----------- 36-18
Houston W
Clippers W
SA W
Portland W
Seattle W
@minny L
----------- 41-19
@SA L
@houston W
Phoenix W
@sac-to L
Phoenix W
Clippers W
----------- 46-21.... have to make one up next 6 games
ATL W
Boston W
@NJ W
@Philly W
@indiana L
@miami W
----------- 51-22.... still need to make on game up
Orlando W
Cleaveland W
Sac-to W
Phoenix W
Seattle W
Utah W
-----------56-22.... now on pace
@Seattle W
@GS W
Memphis W
@houston W

That's reasonable...... isn't it?

OutletPass
01-23-2004, 10:59 PM
Interesting...I asked a couple of questions...and only a couple of people addressed them both before this all devolved into a discussion about "knee jerking"...

So I'll try to ask ONE of the two questions again.

Do you think that minny will fade in the regular season ?

LRB
01-23-2004, 11:03 PM
Do you think that minny will fade in the regular season ?

I'm really not sure. Historically I'd say yes. But they have lots of new players. But I definitely think that we have a chance to catch them if we keep playing well.

ddh33
01-23-2004, 11:59 PM
Yeah, I think the Wolves will fade. I actually think they will struggle when they get Wally back. His presence will make them worse defensively - they aren't good now - and will mess up the chemistry created with thier Big Three. Supposedly, KG and Wally have a hard enough time coexisting, I can only imagine what Spree and Cassell might add to it. I think they may have the same problems our Mavs have had - there's only one ball.
Olowakandi will also come back eventually. He's going to want touches too, and he's a bad shooter. He's never made as much of an impact as I thought he would either.
Hudson is the one guy who will really help them when he returns. I think he will allow that team to go small with the best of them.

Their offense may be scary, but I can't consider them a huge threat yet. They're a good team, but they have as many, if not more, flaws than our Mavs. It's just that their's are overlooked becuase they have KG and we have Dirk. But I think they are probably worse defensively than the Mavs.

They may shock me, but I need to see it first.

bernardos70
01-24-2004, 02:40 PM
Minnie is playing excellent ball right now, with no signs of slowing down. I'm not sure I can say I believe they'll fade in the season playing the way they are. As far as integrating Wally back in.... if the lineup is working right now, why would they play him so many minutes when he comes back that it would negatively affect their play?

And can we pass SA... with 39 games ahead, anything is possible. It's up to us, we play them two more times this season.