PDA

View Full Version : Celtics suspend Baker indefinitely

MavsFanFinley
01-23-2004, 10:05 PM
Celtics suspend Baker indefinitely for violating aftercare program

By GREG SUKIENNIK, Associated Press Writer

January 23, 2004

BOSTON (AP) -- Vin Baker was suspended indefinitely by the Boston Celtics on Friday for failing to comply with his aftercare program.

The suspension took effect immediately, and Baker missed the Celtics' game against the Washington Wizards.

It's the second time this season that Baker, who struggled with alcoholism last spring, has been suspended by the team for failing to comply with his recovery program. On Jan. 7, he was suspended for three games.

The team said it was notified of the violation by a doctor jointly selected by Baker and the team to oversee his aftercare. The Celtics did not specify the nature of the violation.

``We were sorry to learn of Vin's noncompliance,'' team CEO and managing partner Wyc Grousbeck said. ``As we have said throughout this process, we will continue to wish Vin the very best in his aftercare and will refrain from further comment.''

Baker practiced with the team Thursday, but he had not gotten off the bench in three of five games since returning from his first suspension.

The four-time All-Star joined the Celtics before last season after a trade with Seattle. He played poorly, and last February accepted a suspension from the Celtics and checked himself into rehab for alcoholism while his teammates were advancing to the second round of the playoffs.

At the time, it was widely speculated that he might never play again for the Celtics; the only question was whether the team would make him sit at the end of the bench for three years to collect the $44 million left on his contract.

Instead, he lost weight, got in better shape and had a strong start to the season.

Baker started the first 33 games, but his performance declined. In his first 25 games, he scored in double figures 18 times. In the next 10, he reached that level three times.

At the time of his first suspension, Celtics coach Jim O'Brien said he had seen a decline in Baker's play and suspected that he may have faltered in his recovery.

Max Power
01-23-2004, 10:19 PM
It's sad when someone can't beat their demons.

MightyToine
01-25-2004, 06:34 PM
Well what did you expect?

DANNY AINGE has turned that franchise back into an also-ran with the stupid-azz trades he made.

It's enough to drive ANYONE to drink.

Big Boy Laroux
01-26-2004, 10:50 AM
dammit, mightytoine, do you have to bring your drivel into every post? yeah, it's cool to make fun of someone's problems.

kiwi
01-26-2004, 03:18 PM
Classy post, Mightytoine,

kingrex
01-26-2004, 03:23 PM
It's too bad. I was rooting for Vin to turn it around this year. I was a huge Vin Baker fan when he first emerged out of Milwaukee.

I wish Vin all the luck, he has bigger things to worry about than basketball. He needs to get his life together.

ddh33
01-26-2004, 03:33 PM
Is this it then? Will his contract be terminated now?

kingrex
01-26-2004, 03:38 PM
Don't they have a 3-strike rule? I think he has a longer suspension, but I don't believe that his contract is terminated. Then again, I could be wrong.

kiwi
01-26-2004, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by: ddh33
Is this it then? Will his contract be terminated now?

No, third strike results in indefinite suspension until independant psychiatrist appointed by NBA says he is fit to return to work.

However, if he doesnt get medical clearance by time 10 games have elapsed then Celtics have right to terminate. This will be contested by Players Association and get messy. Therefore everyone hopes there will be a buyout....

Three strikes and not allowed back till cleared by a psychiatrist - now that might sort out Mightytoine...