PDA

View Full Version : Finally.........Yao is exploding!!!

NYCdog
01-25-2004, 08:02 PM
I urge anyone who has NBA league pass to flip on the Orlando-Houston game. Yao is simply manhandling everyone and is now basicly going one on one scoring wise with T-Mac (who has 31 currently) as they trade buckets each possession. He started the game with 8 in the first, 6 in the second, and then........exploded in the thrid with 21 points. Currently play has just began in the 4th and Yao has already passed his career high with 35 points. and climbing!

And no.........most of his points arent from the line (7/7)........and not sissy jump shots either........its man work from the paint where he is dominating.

Ive watched him over the past couple of games and he has been getting scary better, despite being exhausted with playing basicly all year. It looks like Godzilla has finally awaken.

Ahh...........the West gets more interesting day by day..............

grndmstr_c
01-25-2004, 08:05 PM
Not to take anything away from Yao, but Orlando's so cream-puff a hobbled Raef could have success against them on the inside.

NYCdog
01-25-2004, 08:11 PM
True...........

but its not easy scoring when your often triple or even quadruple teamed, no matter how soft a team is defensively.

grndmstr_c
01-25-2004, 08:20 PM
Depends. If the extra defenders are 10-12" shorter than you and get there late, it's probably not that tough. I haven't been watching the game, though, so I don't know if that's the case today. What I do know is that in the Mavs game against the Magic we outboarded them 55 to 36, and outscored them on points in the paint 64-34. Yao's quality, though. I won't argue with that.

Hitman
01-25-2004, 09:00 PM
Facing Yao and the Rockets in the playoffs is going to be a scary reality for some team.

Yao is an absolute beast.

He deserves to start in the all star game.

NYCdog
01-25-2004, 09:13 PM
He ended up finishing with 37 points as he sat most of the 4th for rest since the game was well in handle.

And this isnt his first good preformance................he has now had very impressive games against big teams like Minny with Garnett and LA with Shaq. Clearly he is making progress.

And lately it looks like Yao is beginning to get on one of those "roles" or "mean streaks." I still think he is a bit fatigued as he has been all season due to playing all year round. The fatigue factor to me, most effects his game. But, there is light at the end of the tunnel............this off-season, he will have 1-2 months off to rest between the Olympics and training camp. And then the following two offseasons, he will have no commitments with the Chinesse National team, thus having a FULL offseason to rest and work on his game with big-man coach Patrick Ewing.

Thus, the next three seasons, we should see a fully rested and refreshed Yao, which might not be a good thing for the rest of the NBA.

And as for the Rockets this season............I wasnt too sure where the Rockets belonged in the West's playoff bracket. But, with the addition of Mark Jackson to help spread the ball and be a solid PG off the bench, the Rockets look like they are beginning to come together. And with that, as we Knick fans call it........"Van Gundy Ball" defense they play, this team to me is now the team to watch in the West in the second half.

Things are bout to get interesting in the west now...............

SRF
01-25-2004, 09:53 PM
Depends. If the extra defenders are 10-12" shorter than you and get there late, it's probably not that tough

I guess thats what made Shawn Bradley and Manute Bol such great offensive threats...

grndmstr_c
01-25-2004, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by: SRF
Depends. If the extra defenders are 10-12" shorter than you and get there late, it's probably not that tough

I guess thats what made Shawn Bradley and Manute Bol such great offensive threats...

Let me guess. Rockets fan?i/expressions/moon.gif

NYCdog
01-25-2004, 11:59 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by: SRF

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let me guess. Rockets fan?

G.M.C.........

He doesnt have to be a Rockets fan.............he's telling the damn truth. Duh!!!!!!!!!

If because of his height, that it shouldnt be tough for Yao to score, then we should have seen the same dominating performances from Bradley and Bol, according to your analysis.

But height means nothing..........and it doesnt guarantee that things will be easier for you either. Seven footers have trouble all the time with players 10-12" shorter than they are............little midget-like guards like John Stockton or Steve Nash running around, undetected becuase the seven-footer was to tall to see him below before he was stripped of the ball. You see this happen all the time. And its part of the reason why some seven footers, like Bradley and Bol, have had problems in there careers. Height means nothing..........its having talent accompanied with height that means something.

Any NBA fan fan can tell you that.

aexchange
01-26-2004, 12:20 AM
the guy is a beast.

my only hope is that he refuses to sign with the rockets after his contract expires, and strong arms his way into a trade with the mavs.

but, im dreaming.

i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

NYCdog
01-26-2004, 12:30 AM
the guy is a beast.

my only hope is that he refuses to sign with the rockets after his contract expires, and strong arms his way into a trade with the mavs.

but, im dreaming.

Sorry AE.............You are dreaming.

Cause "IF" he ever leaves Houston, he'll be leavin for a Knicks uniform!

He cant deny the temptation of Chinatown. i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

Max Power
01-26-2004, 12:33 AM
Originally posted by: NYCdog

the guy is a beast.

but, im dreaming.

Sorry AE.............You are dreaming.

Cause "IF" he ever leaves Houston, he'll be leavin for a Knicks uniform!

He cant deny the temptation of Chinatown. i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

I thought the biggest Chinatown was in California

NYCdog
01-26-2004, 01:00 AM

Yeah but.........Do you really think he would leave Houston for Golden State? The Rockets are in a much better situation for him to win then GS. And winning is all he cares about. And both Houston and my Knicks have very bright futures.

Just that, with a bright future the Knicks offer, NYC can also throw in a pretty happenin' Chinatown for free! i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

grndmstr_c
01-26-2004, 01:31 AM
NYC, you're going way too far by saying height means nothing. Height means a whole lot.

As for the Bradley/Yao comparison, saying that Bradley is not a dominant offensive player is really irrelevant to the argument about the effectiveness of double-teams and the like. If double teams are late and small, they are not going to be effective against a 7'6" guy, even Shawn. Once either one of those guys is in position and set to shoot, it's too late. Running a couple 6'8" guys at them is just not going to accomplish anything most of the time. Now, to be sure, Shawn's so uncoordinated that a defender almost has to go out of his way to be late on a double team, but that doesn't change the fact that if the defender is late, his presence will be ineffective.

EricaLubarsky
01-26-2004, 01:46 AM
Originally posted by: Hitman
Facing Yao and the Rockets in the playoffs is going to be a scary reality for some team.

I really hope we play Houston in the first round. That would be sweet business and it would be the ultimate first round matchup if Bradley is healthy.

stevie_franchise3
01-26-2004, 04:11 AM
Originally posted by: EricaLubarsky

I really hope we play Houston in the first round. That would be sweet business and it would be the ultimate first round matchup if Bradley is healthy.

Be careful of what you ask for........ i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

mavsfanforever
01-26-2004, 07:26 AM
Originally posted by: stevie_franchise3

I cannot believe you say this. I am not sure where this confidence is coming from. I guess a complete sweep last season beatinf the rockets by a margin of 15+ was not enough. Ofcourse, that would be the easiest matchup for the mavs and rockets nightmare.

stevie_franchise3
01-26-2004, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by: mavsfanforever

I cannot believe you say this. I am not sure where this confidence is coming from. I guess a complete sweep last season beatinf the rockets by a margin of 15+ was not enough. Ofcourse, that would be the easiest matchup for the mavs and rockets nightmare.

Last year was last year. We have a different team, you guys have a different team. Even from the first game we played you guys, we are a different. Mo Taylor was hurt didnt play, Eric Piatowski was hurt and we didnt have a Mark Jackson as backup point guard. It was also very early in the season and now we are clicking. As hot as you guys are we are one game behind in the loss column.

Oh BTW the way Yao is starting learn how to dominate as well..........look out league.

Max Power
01-26-2004, 09:22 AM

The Rockets are pretenders and they will flame out before the season is over. They MIGHT limp into the playoffs but then they will be swept by whatever team is lucky enough to get them.

DNNF
01-26-2004, 10:16 AM
Rockets are in different level from the big five. Although, they are getting better from last year, but they will be the 1st round playoff exit if they make it. Only way for them to become better is for Yao to become more aggressive (which he is doing right now). Demanding the ball ALL THE TIME is what the rockets needed. He needs to average around 20 shot attempts per game for this team to be success.
If he doesn't want the ball, tell JVG or Patrick Ewing to smack him on the head until he said give me the fu*king ball. If the ball ever go to Francis or Mobley, they will dribble out the shot clock jack up some bullshit.

SRF
01-26-2004, 10:30 AM
Yes, I'm a Rockets fan. I can't expect you guys to be optimistic about our team like I am but in our last 7 games Yao's been so much more aggressive and it all started with Brendan Haywood and his hard foul on Yao. It changed him. Since then Yao's gone for 22.9/11.2. I know you fellas think we're going to burnout, but if Yao continues his aggressive play, I don't know what will happen...but I'd love to find out. i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

Nicky31
01-26-2004, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by: NYCdog

Yeah but.........Do you really think he would leave Houston for Golden State? The Rockets are in a much better situation for him to win then GS. And winning is all he cares about. And both Houston and my Knicks have very bright futures.

Just that, with a bright future the Knicks offer, NYC can also throw in a pretty happenin' Chinatown for free! i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

I'm sure the Laker's wouldn't mind replacing Shaq with Yao in a year or so..

NYCdog
01-26-2004, 11:54 AM
I can't believe some of you guys comments on this. Some in here are really underestimating these little Rockets..............Big time.

These Rockets will not flame out at the end of the year as some of you predict. And neither will the T-Wolves as I have seen posted here as well. Those are absolutely some of the worst ridiculous predictions I have ever seen.

True, last year's Rocket squad should have been in the playoffs and flamed out at the end...........only becuase they lost there coach to cancer for the rest of the ride. Under Asst. Coach Larry Smith, they were horrible. Dont expect the same thing to happen this year to JVG and the Rockets. Otherwise, Rocket fans can start to claim curse or conspiracy. The big difference between last year's Rocket squad and this year's is plain and simple........DEFENSE. The best in the league too. And the offense isnt as bad as some people think. Some here say Steve Francis is a ballhog. Actually the correct terminology is WAS! Early in his career, this was true. But as of late, Francis looks to be more of a team leader, passing up his shots, which at times are the better shots, to get his teammates involved. All that remains is to knock down the shot. Some games, they havent been able to do that. But when they do hit there shots, whatch out.

And one Stevie_Franchise3 brought up a good point about the addition of Mark Jackson, who has changed the team overnite. I dont view this as Mark Jackson simply being brought in to be a back-up PG and preach Van Gundy's word. Rather, I view it as an experiment..........at moving Francis to the 2 and having a real point guard distribute the ball.......a la what Larry brown did in Philly by bringing in Eric Snow and sliding AI to the 2. Since Jackson has arrived, he has been teamed with Francis most of the time, including last nights game in Orlando. And the team's offense has never looked more fluid then ever before. So with the success of this experiment, probably means the trading of Mobley for either a real starting guard or a power foward for even more depth down low. Look for them to make a move by trading deadline........

Bottom line is..........DONT underestimate this team. Not after some of there preformances this season.

And furthermore, never ever undersetimate ANY Jeff Van Gundy lead team. You guys should have learned this back in 1999. And you guys know much better then that.

Max Power
01-26-2004, 02:17 PM
The Rockets are merely feasting on the East. They don't even have a 500 record against the West right now. Their record will plummet once they have to play the West on a steady basis.

grndmstr_c
01-26-2004, 03:04 PM
MP said it. Houston is a good team, and I wouldn't expect them to be an easy out, but the fact of the matter is that they have not been able to get it done against the best team's on a consistent basis this year (5-10 vs. Top 10 in Sagarin's rankings, 10-14 vs. Top 16). They've taken care of business against the teams they're supposed to beat, but no currently playoff seeded West team has a worse record against quality competition.

kingrex
01-26-2004, 04:58 PM
I have always said that until Francis learns to be a true point guard, or he is moved to the 2 in favor of a true point guard, then this Rockets team will never make it out of the first round. Now, as the Rockets mature (which includes Yao's basketball maturity), they are a better team than before. No one should be able to dispute that.

However, Dallas has their number. Until Houston can beat the Mavericks consistently, I will not be convinced of their greatness. No doubt they are better, but they are not fearsome yet.

Yao is already a really good center and a team like the Mavs that lacks a strong interior defense should be concerned, but until Houston figures this out (because late in games Francis and Mobley still have all the touches especially against the Mavs), then I just don't see this trend changing.

EricaLubarsky
01-26-2004, 05:19 PM
Last year was last year. We have a different team, you guys have a different team. Even from the first game we played you guys, we are a different. Mo Taylor was hurt didnt play, Eric Piatowski was hurt and we didnt have a Mark Jackson as backup point guard. As hot as you guys are we are one game behind in the loss column.

If you havent noticed Dallas is continuing its win streak into this season. We beat you guys by 11 and everyone on the Houston roster was healthy.

It was also very early in the season and now we are clicking.

We weren't exactly clicking ourselves with a record coming in at 5-3. Houston came in to the game 5-1.

How many times do we have to bitch-slap your team before you concede that we are a better squad? You honestly think that Mark Jackson is really THAT much better than Moochie Norris?

February 21 we will dominate your puny team and it will start the long hard fall into the lottery.

stevie_franchise3
01-26-2004, 05:55 PM
Why don't you also throw out that the Rockets have played less home games than any one in the West also. Sure we are 11-13 against the west but we are 15-4 against the east. Who cares if we fatten up on the east, Dallas has the same chance and they are 11-6 against. Dallas also sucks on the road at 8-13 while we are at .500 at 12-12 for which only 3 other teams in the west can say they have a winning record on the road.

BTW we have played more road games than anyone in the West as well so dont forget to add that and according to those Sagarin rankings we have had the 5th toughest schedule.

stevie_franchise3
01-26-2004, 06:06 PM
By the time Feb 21 is here we will be well into a playoff seeding.

When you guys played at the beginning of the year we were a hurt team and didnt have all of our players. You will see a difference with Mo Taylor and Mark Jackson coming of the bench. You do also remember that you played at home dont you? Just wait till you come to the Toyota Center. Even the next game on Feb 21 is at Dallas.

And if you know anything about the 2nd all-time NBA assist leader in Mark Jackson you would know that he is 10 times better than Moochie Norris.

mavsfanforever
01-26-2004, 08:03 PM

When you guys played at the beginning of the year we were a hurt team and didnt have all of our players. You will see a difference with Mo Taylor and Mark Jackson coming of the bench. You do also remember that you played at home dont you? Just wait till you come to the Toyota Center. Even the next game on Feb 21 is at Dallas.

And if you know anything about the 2nd all-time NBA assist leader in Mark Jackson you would know that he is 10 times better than Moochie Norris.

Its funny that you are trying to imply that rockets lost because of Mo and Marc Jackson were missing. By the way none of the Rockets starters except probably Jim Jackson(ex maverick) have any experience in the playoffs. I am yet to see a team that has no playoff experience win it all in the first playoff appearance. I can understand that you are excited as a Rocket Fan about this season but to imply that Rockets will dominate in the playoffs is pure ignorance. I can only imagine homers making such comments. I am sure Memphis and Cleveland fans also feel the same way as you do.

EricaLubarsky
01-26-2004, 08:45 PM
I dont imagine Jackson has much more in his bag. He was picked up from free agency during the season.

mavsfanforever
01-26-2004, 09:37 PM
BTW, Miami is beating the holy crap out of Rockets today. 85-70 with 7min left. I can hardly think of a championship calibre team doing that at this point during the season.

stevie_franchise3
01-26-2004, 10:13 PM

Its funny that you are trying to imply that rockets lost because of Mo and Marc Jackson were missing. By the way none of the Rockets starters except probably Jim Jackson(ex maverick) have any experience in the playoffs. I am yet to see a team that has no playoff experience win it all in the first playoff appearance. I can understand that you are excited as a Rocket Fan about this season but to imply that Rockets will dominate in the playoffs is pure ignorance. I can only imagine homers making such comments. I am sure Memphis and Cleveland fans also feel the same way as you do.

I didnt imply we lost because we didnt have those guys, I was implying we would have a better chance with all our guns.

Secondly where in my posts did I imply the Rockets will dominate in the playoffs? Where? Please show me and I will shut up. Please don't put words in my mouth. And for the record, Cuttino Mobley also has playoff experience and he starts for the Rockets.

I just dont think you give my Rox any credit but thats ok, we will see in the playoffs.

EricaLubarsky
01-26-2004, 10:17 PM
Hahahaha Stevie says, "Im not talking crap" and then talks crap.
I just dont think you give my Rox any credit but thats ok, we will see in the playoffs.

stevie_franchise3
01-26-2004, 10:23 PM
BTW, Miami is beating the holy crap out of Rockets today. 85-70 with 7min left. I can hardly think of a championship calibre team doing that at this point during the season.

Yes we played a bad game tonight in 2nd half of a back to back and 3 games in 4 days. We didnt have our legs so our shots didnt fall tonight, but we had a 2-1 road trip so I am happy.

We also still have a little ways to go before being thought of a championship caliber team but we are getting there. 7 of the next 9 at home.

We will see what Dallas does in the next two road games since I believe you think they are championship caliber.

EricaLubarsky
01-26-2004, 10:31 PM
why exactly do you like hanging out on a dallas mavericks board again?

mavsfanforever
01-26-2004, 10:43 PM

Yes we played a bad game tonight in 2nd half of a back to back and 3 games in 4 days. We didnt have our legs so our shots didnt fall tonight, but we had a 2-1 road trip so I am happy.

We also still have a little ways to go before being thought of a championship caliber team but we are getting there. 7 of the next 9 at home.

We will see what Dallas does in the next two road games since I believe you think they are championship caliber.

First of all, I have to mention that you are just not sticking to the point in this thread. Did at any point I said that mavs are a championship team. Just check every reply carefully, everything is in english. Secondly, I like yao ming and appreciate his game more tahn you do. Let me tell you that Rockets will be a better team if the PGs understand that Yao is their best player. I believe thats what killed you guys today too. The guards of Houston dribble too much to the end of the clock until there is no time left on the clock and then jack up a well contested jump shot. I cannot even comprehend what Yao's numbers will be if only he was with Jason Kidd or Steve Nash or Gary Payton. Get it in your head that Yao is you best player ( I am telling Steve Francis).

mavsfanforever
Double post

mavsfanforever

First of all, I have to mention that you are just not sticking to the point in this thread. Did at any point I said that mavs are a championship team. Just check every reply carefully, everything is in english. Secondly, I like yao ming and appreciate his game more tahn you do. Let me tell you that Rockets will be a better team if the PGs understand that Yao is their best player. I believe thats what killed you guys today too. The guards of Houston dribble too much to the end of the clock until there is no time left on the clock and then jack up a well contested jump shot. I cannot even comprehend what Yao's numbers will be if only he was with Jason Kidd or Steve Nash or Gary Payton. Get it in your head that Yao is your best player ( I am telling Steve Francis).

EricaLubarsky
01-26-2004, 10:46 PM
going for a three-pointer, eh MFF? i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

mavsfanforever
01-26-2004, 10:52 PM
going for a three-pointer, eh MFF? i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

I knew some of the intelligent posters like you would undetstand my point.

stevie_franchise3
01-26-2004, 10:57 PM

Because I like to see how giddy you guys get even though you have never even won a championship let alone a western conference final. Someone has to talk reality sometimes.

Misfit Mav
01-26-2004, 11:06 PM
Because I like to see how giddy you guys get even though you have never even won a championship let alone a western conference final.

These times have won NBA championships:

Washington
Seattle
Golden State
Chicago

These teams have not:

Dallas
Sacramento
Indiana
Minnesota

Whose chances do you like this year?

mavsfanforever
01-26-2004, 11:07 PM

Because I like to see how giddy you guys get even though you have never even won a championship let alone a western conference final. Someone has to talk reality sometimes.

Seems like you are contradicting yourselves. You said last year or the past is gone and lets talk about this year. Bring another weak argument.

stevie_franchise3
01-26-2004, 11:21 PM

First of all, I have to mention that you are just not sticking to the point in this thread. Did at any point I said that mavs are a championship team. Just check every reply carefully, everything is in english. Secondly, I like yao ming and appreciate his game more tahn you do. Let me tell you that Rockets will be a better team if the PGs understand that Yao is their best player. I believe thats what killed you guys today too. The guards of Houston dribble too much to the end of the clock until there is no time left on the clock and then jack up a well contested jump shot. I cannot even comprehend what Yao's numbers will be if only he was with Jason Kidd or Steve Nash or Gary Payton. Get it in your head that Yao is your best player ( I am telling Steve Francis).

I am pretty sure you got off topic first so you need to stick to the thread.

There is no way you appreciate Yao's game more than me. I dont think you watch every Rockets game or plan your week around Rocket's games. I am pretty sure you havent been a season ticket holder for the last 7 years either. Not only do I watch Rockets games I watch alot NBA basketball period with the aid of the NBA League Pass.

What killed us today is that NBA teams like Dallas can play the sissy Zone defenses and where they can put a man in front and back of Yao so that when he does get in the paint he cant operate and has to kick it out. If you watched the game(which you didnt because you say our guards dominated ball) you would notice that the guards did make an effort to get him the ball as they have been doing all year. Even a great passer in Mark Jackson couldnt get it to him.

And yes Yao is our best player and he will only get better once he gets stronger. Jason Kidd, Steve Nash or Gary payton couldnt do much better with this team. I see how much Shaq's points have gone up when he was healthy with Payton and Jason Kidd is just making all his players better with a 22-20 record and even got his coach fired.

grndmstr_c
01-26-2004, 11:23 PM
I love hearing Houston losers who go by the nckname Franchise whine about the sissy zone. Just makes my day.i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

stevie_franchise3
01-26-2004, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by: grndmstr_c
I love hearing Houston losers who go by the nckname Franchise whine about the sissy zone. Just makes my day.i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

Well, thats the only way teams like you guys survive defensively. Just think if you really had to defend 1 on 1, you guys would have no chance.

Misfit Mav
01-26-2004, 11:33 PM

Well, thats the only way teams like you guys survive defensively. Just think if you really had to defend 1 on 1, you guys would have no chance.

Yeah, it's such a bitch that the Mavs are allowed to play by the rules of the game. i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif

mavsfanforever
01-26-2004, 11:40 PM

Again stick to the thread.

There is no way you appreciate Yao's game more than me

Okay, whatever. I do not know you but the quality of your posts made me think that was the truth.

I dont think you watch every Rockets game or plan your week around Rocket's games. I am pretty sure you havent been a season ticket holder for the last 7 years either. I watch alot NBA basketball period with the aid of the NBA League Pass.

I have no argument on that since you have no clue if I have nba league pass or not. BTW I have had this NBA league pass for the last 10 years even though mavs were struggling then.

What killed us today is that NBA teams like Dallas can play the sissy Zone defenses and where they can put a man in front and back of Yao so that when he does get in the paint he cant operate and has to kick it out.

I thought you guys played miami and not Dallas. I am sorry but good teams do not complain about these zone defenses. BTW, If you watched the game tonight against Miami you would have realized that Miami operated on Zone Defense only 10% of the time. Anyway how does it matter, good teams are prepared to play any kind of defense.

If you watched the game(which you didnt because you say our guards dominated ball) you would notice that the guards did make an effort to get him the ball as they have been doing all year. Even a great passer in Mark Jackson couldnt get it to him.

Mark Jackson is still trying to find his identity on this team and most teams would just let him shoot the ball at this point of his career rather than let him dish the ball since he is the oldest NON- HALL of famer of any sport.

And yes Yao is our best player and he will only get better once he gets stronger. Jason Kidd, Steve Nash or Gary payton couldnt do much better with this team. I see how much Shaq's points have gone up when he was healthy with Payton and Jason Kidd is just making all his players better with a 22-20 record and even got his coach fired.

Jason Kidd, Steve Nash have gone to playoffs and Gary Payton has done it umpteen times. I am sorry but Steve Frances has never been in a playoff game and I really doubt if he will ever be.

stevie_franchise3
01-27-2004, 12:02 AM
Jason Kidd, Steve Francis, Steve Nash, Gary Payton all have something in common. They are all point guards and they have never won a championship, period.

We did play Miami tonight and they play a zone like Dallas. They had a man in front and a man in back of Yao. That is a zone. Sure good teams dont complain about the zone but great fans do.

Mark Jackson know his identity on this team already and that is to be a playmaker and backup steve. He might be starting as PG in the near future with Cuttino coming off the bench.

mavsfanforever
01-27-2004, 12:14 AM
Jason Kidd, Steve Francis, Steve Nash, Gary Payton all have something in common. They are all point guards and they have never won a championship, period.

We did play Miami tonight and they play a zone like Dallas. They had a man in front and a man in back of Yao. That is a zone. Sure good teams dont complain about the zone but great fans do.

Mark Jackson know his identity on this team already and that is to be a playmaker and backup steve. He might be starting as PG in the near future with Cuttino coming off the bench.

Goodnight. Not worth discussing basketball with you. I would like to see a rockets or any other team fan with some knowledge and can back up his/her argument with any facts. Sorry you have been a disappointment and I really wasted unnecessary time trying to talk B Ball with you. The above points are too weak. Please read my posts properly before replying. This will be my last post in reply to you. Good luck with the season and your league pass.

Max Power
01-27-2004, 01:18 AM

Well you COULD take the other side of the argument. If the Rockets would learn how to shoot the ball or pass the ball then teams would have to come out of the zone. I'd have to say that the Rockets inability to play fundamental basketball is the problem. Of course it is far easier to say that we survive with junk defenses than to admit that the Rockets play ball like a bunch of PU$$IES.

superheadcat
01-27-2004, 01:41 AM

NBA teams like Dallas can play the sissy Zone defenses and where they can put a man in front and back of Yao so that when he does get in the paint he cant operate and has to kick it out.

NBA teams like rocket can play the sissy offense of giving the ball to yao and let him take care of the rest.

well, that is the only way teams like rocket can survive offensively. just think if you really had to score on your own, you guys would have no chance.

Big Boy Laroux
01-27-2004, 10:13 AM
exactly, max. dribbling the ball until the shot clock winds down is not a way to beat the zone. good passing, and outside shooting will. also, the ability to penetrate and kick it back out. francis can penetrate ok, but nowhere near the level of most of the other PGs in the league.

francis should be averaging a hell of a lot more assists than he is, especially with yao on his team.

i think we're dealing with the real stevie fanchise here. only the real steve francis bitches about zone defense this much.

EricaLubarsky
01-27-2004, 04:33 PM
Stevie, you are completely clueless about the NBA. The 3 time championship Lakers play variations of zones, Sacramento plays variations of zones, even the Rockets play a primitive 2-3 zone on occasion. If Yao were more of a shotblocker and the "Rox" had a better defensive coordinator then they would use thee zone as well.

Only conservative commentators on TNT and ESPN and their mindless would say that the zone is a patch- it is a legitimate defensive strategy that interrupts opposing offenses and tests the passing, driving and shooting of the opponent. Playing zone requires the same agility, instinct and quickness that man-man defense does but also requires intelligence and strategy- two things the Rockets do not have in abundance.

Overall it all boils down to what wins games and since we have interrupted the Houston offense more than once and the last time the Rox beat the Mavs was on April 11th 2002- two seasons ago and since we've won 7-8 since November 21st 2001, Id say it indeed does win games. Amazingly our "zone" held your team to 86 points which was tied for the second least points scored by the rockets at that point as well when we played this season. Just dont be bitter about the zone that is effective against a team that is lacking in intelligence, strategy and outside shooting....its how it is...

SRF
01-27-2004, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by: kingrex
I have always said that until Francis learns to be a true point guard, or he is moved to the 2 in favor of a true point guard, then this Rockets team will never make it out of the first round. Now, as the Rockets mature (which includes Yao's basketball maturity), they are a better team than before. No one should be able to dispute that.

However, Dallas has their number. Until Houston can beat the Mavericks consistently, I will not be convinced of their greatness. No doubt they are better, but they are not fearsome yet.

Yao is already a really good center and a team like the Mavs that lacks a strong interior defense should be concerned, but until Houston figures this out (because late in games Francis and Mobley still have all the touches especially against the Mavs), then I just don't see this trend changing.
Good analysis. I agree totally on the Steve Francis points. No way we'll go anywhere with Steve running the point, he's so turnover prone, makes horrible passes, loses composure really easily, and has no feel for the game. He's the type of person that makes up his mind about what he wants to do and then does it regardless of how the defense changes on him. I'm probably the most critical Rockets fan when it comes to Stevie, but he's got to be THE worst point guard in the league and he makes the MAX i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif . This year steve has shown no ability to run an offense efficiently, sure he might have some good games, but his bad game outweigh his good this year. Hell, his shooting percentage is WAAAY lower than its ever been and his assists, rebounding, and turnovers are all worse than ever. Some of it is simply fatigue from having to play so much defense in Van Gundy's new system, but I'm starting to think a lot of it is because he's not 'the man' anymore, thanks to Yao. Honestly, a lot of Rockets fans are pretty disappointed in Steve this year, he's definitely not worth the max and we'll be lucky to get anything back of equal value if we can manage to get rid of him. His attitude when it comes to playing on certain teams have been well documented with the Vancouver incident and that'll only add to the difficulty in a trade. In the long run, we're probably stuck with the guy and can only hope for him to grow a brain in the next 6 years of his contract, which I'm not holding my breath over... i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif

SRF
01-27-2004, 05:47 PM

Jason Kidd, Steve Nash have gone to playoffs and Gary Payton has done it umpteen times. I am sorry but Steve Frances has never been in a playoff game and I really doubt if he will ever be.

Oh cmon man, we'll be in the playoffs this year unless Yao gets hurt.(knock on wood) We're only 1.5 games behind the Mavs and we've played more road games than any team in the west, our record should only get better.