PDA

View Full Version : If enough people hate the Lakers can we just kick them out of the league?

ReDIRKulous
01-29-2004, 06:25 PM
http://customwire.ap.org/dynamic/stories/B/BKN_MALONE_JAZZ?SITE=TXDAM&TEMPLATE=SPTBASKETBALL.html

Jan 29, 6:01 PM EST

Mock Phone Call at Jazz Game Upsets Malone

SALT LAKE CITY (AP) -- Karl Malone was offended by a mock phone call that made fun of him and teammate Kobe Bryant during a timeout of the Lakers' game at Utah last week.

"For them to put that out there about him, that's disrespectful," Malone said. "I will never, ever forgive them for this. No class at all."

Malone, who played 18 seasons with the Jazz, did not attend the game last Saturday because of a knee injury. It was supposed to be his first game as an opponent in Utah.

During a stoppage, Jazz mascot "Bear" answered a fake call that was broadcast over the loudspeakers. The caller imitated Malone's voice and identified himself as "Mail," saying he wanted to come "home," L.A. fans were "mean" to him and the Lakers don't pass him the ball.

The call ended with the imitator saying, "I guess it could be worse. I could be Ko...," stopping short of saying Kobe.

Bryant had spent the previous day in Colorado, where he's facing a trial on a sexual assault charge.

"That kind of stuff there is like pathetic. If an athlete would have did that, we'd have been talking about it for the rest of the year on SportsCenter," Malone said before the Lakers' home game against Seattle on Wednesday.

Later in the game, Jazz owner Larry Miller was handed a cell phone for a second call from the fake Malone and was cheered when he promptly hung up.

Miller did not immediately return a message seeking comment Thursday.

Malone said he had no problem with the Jazz poking fun at him, but the Bryant reference was in poor taste.

"I guarantee you, I'll have the last say on this. You can print that. That little skit they did, it'll cost them. I guarantee you," Malone said.

Shaq Attack2
01-29-2004, 06:30 PM
Pathetic. I mean, the Fat Albert thing by the Mavs was funny, even Shaq laughed. But come on, making fun of Kobe for a rape trial?

If enough people hate the Lakers can we just kick them out of the league?

Perhaps. That would be difficult knowing the Lakers sell out more games on the road than any other team in the L.

Richard
01-29-2004, 06:31 PM
Holy cow, its got to be pretty bad when I start agreeing with malone, but, man, that is pretty tasteless for a franchise.

ReDIRKulous
01-29-2004, 06:35 PM
You have a point SA2... but Kobe is probably as hated as he he is loved... the Lakers are the same imo.

I think a skit is less damaging than one of Malone's career ending cheapshots. Does Kobe or Malone really deserve any respect? The Laker organization showed Nash getting his teeth knocked out... now that is classless..

Shaq Attack2
01-29-2004, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by: ReDIRKulous
You have a point SA2... but Kobe is probably as hated as he he is loved... the Lakers are the same imo.

Before this whole Kobe trial Kobe was still hated by many. What was the reasoning then? A lot of it is still the same; he's really good and arrogant about it. Same with lots of great players, though a lot of those great players (Magic and Jordan come to mind) were much more smooth and amiable than Kobe has ever been. Kobe has the personality and playfulness of a tree stump compared to someone like Jordan or Magic.

Does Kobe or Malone really deserve any respect?

I think Malone deserves all the respect in the world. He's a dirty player, so you could disrespect him for that. But I can't think of many reasons why you'd want to disrespect Malone. Kobe, well, there's plenty of reason not to respect him. But don't tell Lakerstalk members I said that, Kobe is the messiah and Shaq is the devil to many over there. i/expressions/rolleye.gif

ReDIRKulous
01-29-2004, 06:52 PM
He's a dirty player, so you could disrespect him for that. But I can't think of many reasons why you'd want to disrespect Malone.

If I was a Utah fan I would not like Malone. He milked that franchise of money and then goes to the Lakers and plays on the cheap to win a championship? Why couldn't he take a pay cut earlier in order to win a championship in Utah?

Shaq Attack2
01-29-2004, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by: ReDIRKulous

He's a dirty player, so you could disrespect him for that. But I can't think of many reasons why you'd want to disrespect Malone.

If I was a Utah fan I would not like Malone. He milked that franchise of money and then goes to the Lakers and plays on the cheap to win a championship? Why couldn't he take a pay cut earlier in order to win a championship in Utah?

Malone didn't really start getting paid the big bucks until 1999 when he received a 4 year deal at about 19 per that ended this past summer. And he did have a championship caliber team during much of the 90's. In any case, how many superstars take a paycut in their prime, or at any point in their career, to help their team get better players to win? Duncan is getting paid the max, as are players like KG and Shaq. That's just how it goes with athletes, as unfortunate as it may be, they like the money.

Actually, all the Jazz fans I've talked to absolutely love Malone, even if he signed with the Lakers.