PDA

View Full Version : Starters Announced for All-Star game

stevie_franchise3
01-29-2004, 07:13 PM
Yeah I know Francis shouldnt be starting.

Link to Article (http://www.nba.com/allstar2004/allstar_game/starter_040129.html)

EASTERN CONFERENCE
F - Vince Carter, Toronto
F - Jermaine O’Neal, Indiana
C - Ben Wallace, Detroit
G - Allen Iverson, Philadelphia
G - Tracy McGrady, Orlando
Coach: Rick Carlisle, Indiana

WESTERN CONFERENCE
F - Tim Duncan, San Antonio
F - Kevin Garnett, Minnesota
C - Yao Ming, Houston
G - Kobe Bryant, L.A. Lakers
G - Steve Francis, Houston
Coach: Flip Saunders, Minnesota

u2sarajevo
01-29-2004, 07:18 PM
Press here if you are too lazy to copy and paste the link above (http://www.nba.com/allstar2004/allstar_game/starter_040129.html)

Big Lo
01-29-2004, 07:57 PM
bull shit; should be sam i am. thats why i hate the all star game. kobe sucks, and didnt have a decent year. also bull shit peja should be starting over him. what a load of crap.

OzMavs
01-29-2004, 08:16 PM
Francis over Nash and Cassell??? and Kobe starting? I'm confused. Obvious that the west team has not been picked on this season's form.

dude1394
01-29-2004, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by: stevie_franchise3
Yeah I know Francis shouldnt be starting.

Link to Article (http://www.nba.com/allstar2004/allstar_game/starter_040129.html)

WESTERN CONFERENCE
F - Tim Duncan, San Antonio
F - Kevin Garnett, Minnesota
C - Yao Ming, Houston
G - Kobe Bryant, L.A. Lakers
G - Steve Francis, Houston
Coach: Flip Saunders, Minnesota

Pretty interesting. Two starting all-stars and they are a game out of being out of the playoffs. That Houston coach must really stink..

Drbio
01-29-2004, 08:40 PM
Francis shouldn't be in the game period.

Why is this in the general Mavs section again?

rakesh.s
01-29-2004, 08:57 PM
francis shouldn't be in the game..i agree..it's annoying that if you participate in the dunk contest, you're automatically an all-star

cassell should start with nash backing him up

i'm cool with yao ming starting..he has played really well in the last couple weeks and hasn't been sitting out

stojakovic should be starting at SG and finley or maggette should be the backup

Kid California
01-29-2004, 09:07 PM
Omg, Francis over Cassell? When are they gonna announce the back ups? If Cassell is in, I bet he will end up in the game more than francis anyways with flip coaching. I'm thinking that the contraversy played in Kobe's favor and that's what has him starting. The only problem in the east in Davis got shafted, and McGrady didnt deserve the start.

LRB
01-29-2004, 09:11 PM
The starters have nothing to do with who is the best. It's all about popularity and image. How else can you explaing Stevie "dumb as a rock" Franchise being a starter?

DNNF
01-29-2004, 09:21 PM
Allstars has always been the popularity contest. If Michael Jordan was left on the ballot this year, he probably got voted in as a starter.

Most underserve player this year. Steve Francis. He can't hit a basket even if his life depending on it.

Simon2
01-29-2004, 09:45 PM
I really don't mind if the Mavs aren't in the all-star game. I'm sure they have the attitude of "been there done that". I would rather have them resting while other players from other teams are playing. Maybe Jamison would like to go since he hasn't gone yet. At the end of the season though, he'll win 6th man so that's a consolation. I'm sure Shaq is pissed that he start again. hehe

Nash13
01-29-2004, 10:28 PM
Why is this in the general Mavs section again?

Probably just to gloat. There was already an all star thread.

Neither Yao or Shaq deserved to start. Brad Miller. He's averaging 15/10/5. Only other person in that ball park is Garnett. I'd rather have a better record than a starter. Someone, probably Nash and Dirk, will make the team.

bernardos70
01-29-2004, 10:30 PM
This has nothing to do with who is the better player or anything like that. It's just what the fans want, and clearly they want a high-flying PG who can dunk over a PG who can pass well and get his teammates in scoring positions.

dude1394
01-29-2004, 10:38 PM
Where is the little troll anyway?

DubOverdose
01-29-2004, 10:44 PM
Melo got more votes than Dirk. I wish Peja had more votes. I definitely think he deserves more than Malone.

u2sarajevo
01-29-2004, 11:33 PM
I wonder if the reason Francis won the popularity contest was because all the Asian contingent that voted for Ming recognized his name on the ballot...???

That would explain alot.

Max Power
01-30-2004, 01:42 AM
This was a interesting tidbit

Yao Ming (Houston)
ONLINE 1,241,347
PAPER 243,184
TOTAL 1,484,531

Shaquille O'Neal (L.A. Lakers)
ONLINE 1,245,728
PAPER 207,558
TOTAL 1,453,286

Shaq had MORE online votes than Yao but lost the paper ballot vote.

dirno2000
01-30-2004, 02:27 AM
The list of reserves will be released Tuesday.

DubOverdose
01-30-2004, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by: Max Power
This was a interesting tidbit

Yao Ming (Houston)
PAPER 243,184

Shaquille O'Neal (L.A. Lakers)
PAPER 207,558

Shaq had MORE online votes than Yao but lost the paper ballot vote.
I guess the Rockets pushed their players more to get in to the All star game. When I read the story on it, it sounded like they gave out paper ballots EVERYWHERE

kg_veteran
01-30-2004, 09:38 AM
Why is everybody griping and complaining about the starters? As long as the fans do the voting, it's not going to be the best 10 players. At least they got two right in each conference.

NYCdog
01-30-2004, 10:20 AM
I guess the Rockets pushed their players more to get in to the All star game. When I read the story on it, it sounded like they gave out paper ballots EVERYWHERE

The Rockets dont push their fans that much to vote compared to other teams in the NBA. There fortunate cause they dont have too. Yao and Francis are already popular as is. So fans will vote for them, regardless what the team does. Sad but true..........its a giant, "spiriling out of control" popularity contest.

Two things that really suprised this year...........

1........No Lebron starting!?! WTF!?! With all the hype he got in his first season, I expected him to be like Yao last season and get voted in start in his rookie season. Besides, the competition in the East for starting sports isnt exactly as stiff as it is in the West.

2........HOW Yao beat Shaq to start on Shaq's home turf.

Yao defeated O’Neal by outpacing him on paper ballots that were distributed in-arena, at movie theatres and at retail stores where balloting was available in the United States and Canada. But strangely, O’Neal received more electronic votes then Yao from fans around the world.

So the complete opposite of what we naturally expected happened..........Shaq won the "international" vote, Yao won the "domestic American" vote and the overall vote.

I'm not sure how this will go over with Laker fans at the All Star Game in LA when Yao is introduced as the starter.

kingrex
01-30-2004, 10:32 AM
These rosters wouldn't be my personal choice either, but the All-Stars are for the fans, so I don't have a problem if the fans voted the most "marketed" players. The All-NBA team is the true reward for a good season. The All-Stars is a showcase for the fans' favorites, and as long as the votes are truly from the fans, then I don't have a problem with it.

The alternative would be to let the media or the coaches or even the players to make the choices. Either way, the choices would be contested. The All-Stars is supposed to be for the fans, so if the choices are a bit stilted, so be it, as long as it is truly the fans' choices.

bernardos70
01-30-2004, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by: u2sarajevo
I wonder if the reason Francis won the popularity contest was because all the Asian contingent that voted for Ming recognized his name on the ballot...???

That would explain alot.

That could be the reason. However, if any of the said Asians watched the Rockets play and how Francis recognizes Ming is 7'6" and a better player than him, the last person they would vote for is Francis.

superheadcat
01-30-2004, 02:48 PM
So the complete opposite of what we naturally expected happened..........Shaq won the "international" vote, Yao won the "domestic American" vote and the overall vote.

i heard this is also what happened last year.
maybe it is just a myth that yao got voted starter becacuse "there are over 1 billion people in China"?