PDA

View Full Version : Jazz to Malone: "Can you hear me now?"

MavKikiNYC
01-29-2004, 08:38 PM
Mock Phone Call at Jazz Game Upsets Malone
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Published: January 29, 2004

Filed at 7:43 p.m. ET

SALT LAKE CITY (AP) -- Karl Malone was offended by a mock phone call that made fun of him and teammate Kobe Bryant during a timeout of the Lakers' game at Utah last week.

``For them to put that out there about him, that's disrespectful,'' Malone said. ``I will never, ever forgive them for this. No class at all.''

Malone, who played 18 seasons with the Jazz, did not attend the game last Saturday because of a knee injury. It was supposed to be his first game as an opponent in Utah.

Advertisement

During a stoppage, Jazz mascot ``Bear'' answered a fake call that was broadcast over the loudspeakers. The caller imitated Malone's voice and identified himself as ``Mail,'' saying he wanted to come ``home,'' L.A. fans were ``mean'' to him and the Lakers don't pass him the ball.

The call ended with the imitator saying, ``I guess it could be worse. I could be Ko...,'' stopping short of saying Kobe.

Bryant had spent the previous day in Colorado, where he's facing a trial on a sexual assault charge.

``That kind of stuff there is like pathetic. If an athlete would have did that, we'd have been talking about it for the rest of the year on SportsCenter,'' Malone said before the Lakers' home game against Seattle on Wednesday.

Later in the game, Jazz owner Larry Miller was handed a cell phone for a second call from the fake Malone and was cheered when he promptly hung up.

Miller did not immediately return a message seeking comment Thursday.

Malone said he had no problem with the Jazz poking fun at him, but the Bryant reference was in poor taste.

``I guarantee you, I'll have the last say on this. You can print that. That little skit they did, it'll cost them. I guarantee you,'' Malone said.

Max Power
01-29-2004, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by: MavKikiNYC
``I guarantee you, I'll have the last say on this. You can print that. That little skit they did, it'll cost them. I guarantee you,'' Malone said.

Big words from a man on crutches.

harsh euro barge
01-29-2004, 09:48 PM
It might be just me, but I thought the announcer was going to say Koko Beware.........

Murphy3
01-29-2004, 09:53 PM
I don't see anything THAT wrong with what the Jazz did.

Simon2
01-29-2004, 09:56 PM
Dang! The Jazz should pay homage to Malone everytime he steps on their floor. That's pretty sad to see that from a "classy" organization. Do you ever remember the Mavs doing anything cheesy like that?

Hitman
01-29-2004, 09:59 PM
I can't stand Karl Malone.

To think I used to root for him to win when he was in Utah. I hope he gets denied his precious title even though he tried to hang on to Kobe and Shaq's coattails.

Hitman
01-29-2004, 10:01 PM
"I guarantee you, I'll have the last say on this. You can print that. That little skit they did, it'll cost them. I guarantee you,'' Malone said.

Gee, what is Karl planning to do?

MightyToine
01-29-2004, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by: Simon2
Dang! The Jazz should pay homage to Malone everytime he steps on their floor. That's pretty sad to see that from a "classy" organization. Do you ever remember the Mavs doing anything cheesy like that?

Ummm....How about the Fat Albert/Shaq incident? i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

Oh and Malone now knows how it felt when the Lakers, in poor taste, replayed the incident where he elbowed Nash..... i/expressions/devil.gif

bernardos70
01-29-2004, 10:34 PM
It's widely documented that even shaq found the Shaq Albert incident hilarious, he was doubled over laughing.

Simon2
01-29-2004, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by: bernardos70
It's widely documented that even shaq found the Shaq Albert incident hilarious, he was doubled over laughing.

That's what I heard as well. Shaq wasn't offended. Have you heard of anything else that was offensive to another team/player? Didn't the Mavs have a ceremony for David Robinson?

Dirkenstien
01-30-2004, 01:04 AM
I dislike Karl very much. If he wants to see a classless organization he needs to look at some of the glitches within the community he currently dwells. The lakers organization were just as wrong if not worse for replaying the Nash incident.

Nothing worse than a freekin hypocrite.

MightyToine
01-30-2004, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by: bernardos70

Yeah. It still was cheesy, though. i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

WayOutWest
01-30-2004, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by: Dirkenstien
I dislike Karl very much. If he wants to see a classless organization he needs to look at some of the glitches within the community he currently dwells. The lakers organization were just as wrong if not worse for replaying the Nash incident.

The Lakers brass publicly stated they were not happy about the clip and stated it would not be played again. I agree they're currently tied in the "classless" race but we'll have to wait and see what the Jazz are going to do at this point to determine if they take the lead.

LRB
01-30-2004, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by: WayOutWest

The Lakers brass publicly stated they were not happy about the clip and stated it would not be played again. I agree they're currently tied in the "classless" race but we'll have to wait and see what the Jazz are going to do at this point to determine if they take the lead.

The Laker's organization may have publicly deemed it as "classless", but Malone hardly did so. Karl did everything put give it an overt and explicit acceptance. So message to Malone: don't be the pot who calls the kettle black. Karl would have a lot more credibility to apologize for the Laker's little stunt before condemning another team for having a skit involving him and a teammate.

kingrex
01-30-2004, 11:06 AM
A little over-sensitive by Karl here. It's not as if Kobe is innocent of wrongdoing. It does suck to be Kobe right now. The guy cheated on his wife at best and is a rapist at worst. Why should he be protected from ridicule?

Karl needs to find some better cause to fight for.

LRB
01-30-2004, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by: kingrex
A little over-sensitive by Karl here. It's not as if Kobe is innocent of wrongdoing. It does suck to be Kobe right now. The guy cheated on his wife at best and is a rapist at worst. Why should he be protected from ridicule?

Karl needs to find some better cause to fight for.

Or maybe they were just referring to the fact that Kobe was an "injured" dram queen. i/expressions/rolleye.gif

WayOutWest
01-30-2004, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by: LRB

Originally posted by: WayOutWest

The Laker's organization may have publicly deemed it as "classless", but Malone hardly did so. Karl did everything put give it an overt and explicit acceptance. So message to Malone: don't be the pot who calls the kettle black. Karl would have a lot more credibility to apologize for the Laker's little stunt before condemning another team for having a skit involving him and a teammate.

FYI: My point is about the organization NOT Karl.

LRB
01-30-2004, 01:13 PM
FYI: My point is about the organization NOT Karl.

I'm not disputing the the Laker organization publicly condemned playing the video.

sike
01-30-2004, 01:32 PM
not that funny, not that big a deal, not worth getting panties twisted, a little tasteless, Malone once again looks like a backwoods fool in his responce....

Dirkenstien
01-30-2004, 01:53 PM
Did Karl ever give any response towards the clip the lakers played? It was directly related to him just as the one in Utah was. He tends to overlook his dishing out to others but when its him at the butt of a joke then he gets defensive. Not once did Karl say the clip was an unfortunate and incorrect incident...not once did he say he did not agree with what his organization did... but he sure as hell wined about what Utah did.

Spare me Malone... how about doing something constructive with your time and form a group therapy where you, Chris Webber, and Rasheed can wine about how unfair life is so that the rest of the world doesnt have to listen to it.

Usually Lurkin
01-30-2004, 03:27 PM
NBA fines Jazz $15,000 for Malone spoof

January 30, 2004
NEW YORK (Ticker) - A skit that poked fun at Karl Malone and Kobe Bryant of the Los Angeles Lakers turned out to be an expensive one for the Utah Jazz.

The NBA on Friday fined the Jazz $15,000 for performing a skit that "ridiculed opposing players."
. . .

article (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=jazzfine&prov=st&type=lgns)

LRB
01-30-2004, 03:51 PM
Funny that they didn't fine the Lakers for repeatedly showing and glorifying an illegal cheap shot by Malone on Steve Nash. I guess stern is just desperate to get the little rapist off.

Dirkenstien
01-30-2004, 03:52 PM
Ridiculing opposing players? Im absolutely infuriated with this decision. Why not fine the Lakers for the skit they played of Karl Malone actually injuring Steve Nash? If the NBA is going to try to make a point in fining to deter such actions then there should not be any cases inwhich they do not fine a team for committing such an action. It's hypocritical and bias.

Dirkenstien
01-30-2004, 03:59 PM
Funny that they didn't fine the Lakers for repeatedly showing and glorifying an illegal cheap shot by Malone on Steve Nash. I guess stern is just desperate to get the little rapist off.

Sadly enough I completely agree. David Stern is clearly trying to protect the rep of one of the leagues best players while allowing other ridicules committed to happen without any action taken against them. This is a classless decision in itself. A very unjust and tasteless decision by Stern.

FreshJive
01-30-2004, 04:10 PM
Political correctness run amok. Mabye they ought to stop keeping score so everybody is a winner at the end.

LRB
01-30-2004, 04:26 PM
Actually now that I think about it, Stern and the NBA have been very consistent. If both cases they strove to protect the guilty. i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif

WayOutWest
01-30-2004, 06:41 PM
Actually now that I think about it, Stern and the NBA have been very consistent. If both cases they strove to protect the guilty. i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif

i/expressions/rolleye.gif