PDA

View Full Version : When will we see a 1 on 1 contest at the all star game?

twelli
02-02-2004, 02:54 AM
Last year there were a lot of discussions about how to make a better all-star weekend. Are there any changes in two weeks?

If not, he are some suggestions:

what I don't want to see again:

* dunk contest in its present format, because: the players of today are short of ideas and since Vince there hasn't been a real great dunk

* girls and boys tag teams, because: the wnba players look out of place and they should go to there own wnba all star weekend

* rookies in the all star game: rookies should only play in the rookie game, including lebron and mello. there are enough stars on sunday already

what I do want to see:
* the dunk contest should be changed to a creative-shot contest. There are so many players who can make incredible shots and it would be great to see something else than dull dunks. let's imagine: nash dribbles through 5 7-footers and makes a back to the board shot while falling to the floor or something like that

* other shooting contests could include: who makes the longest shot, the longest jump to the hoop, etc.

* but what I really want to see (and I believe every fan does too) is a 1 on 1 contest. Let the best centers, forwards and guards go at each other. who doesn't want to see Shaq/Yao, Kobe/T-Maq, lebron/carmelo, duncan/KG and so on going against each other. That would be great entertainment und guarantee high ratings

any other suggestions?

Dirkenstien
02-02-2004, 10:12 AM
I love the one on one idea...that would be very entertaining.

LRB
02-02-2004, 10:51 AM
I'd love to to see the one on one idea as well. I might also sugest adding a game of H-O-R-S-E.

Big Boy Laroux
02-02-2004, 11:59 AM
the one-on-one would be good... but if the league wants to avoid injury, it may not be a good idea.

imagine shaq vs. yao. both guys' reps are on the line if they play one-on-one. you could see some vicious, unnecessary elbows.

anyway, that's just the one con i see with it.

dirno2000
02-02-2004, 02:01 PM
The used to do this in the CBA. I remember watching it on ESPN one year; Mario Ellie won it.

stevie_franchise3
02-02-2004, 02:23 PM
Maybe they ought to do the one on one contest by height ranges? 6'1" and under category, 6'2 - 6'5", 6'6"- 6'9" and a 6'10" and above?

rakesh.s
02-02-2004, 02:25 PM
this will never happen..do you think guys like kobe and vince carter are going to show up for this? their egos are too big and they don't want to get shown up on national TV

it'll be a bunch of scrubs fighting it out just like the dunk contest has been the last 2 years

LRB
02-02-2004, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by: stevie_franchise3
Maybe they ought to do the one on one contest by height ranges? 6'1" and under category, 6'2 - 6'5", 6'6"- 6'9" and a 6'10" and above?

They could have a 7'5" to 7'6" category and we could see Yao and Bradley duke it out. i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

stevie_franchise3
02-02-2004, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by: LRB

Originally posted by: stevie_franchise3

They could have a 7'5" to 7'6" category and we could see Yao and Bradley duke it out. i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

I think we all know the answer to that contest. i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

kg_veteran
02-02-2004, 03:01 PM
I like the "one-on-one" idea, but the egos involved would be monumental. Can you imagine some of the phantom fouls that would be called? i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

LRB's "H-O-R-S-E" idea is a great one as well.

Big Boy Laroux
02-02-2004, 03:14 PM
ha ha, kg.

if it were call your own foul, we'd be hearing "ball" or "foul" on every missed shot... of course, the call would come after the miss.

kg_veteran
02-02-2004, 03:20 PM
Every single time. i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

kingrex
02-02-2004, 04:23 PM
Hey how about a game of around the world? Or how about a game of 25? Yeah right.i/expressions/rolleye.gif

Chiwas
02-02-2004, 06:54 PM
The one on one is excellent idea.

I agree on the dunk contest. It is boring. Maybe a shooting from the half court line would be more interesting.

My main concern is about the very game of All Stars. It is just a joke the way they play it. Hard to prescinde of it, but I would make a change or changes to make it more serious for the owners, coaches and players: money involved, home court advantage for the west or east, a medal only for the winners, an asterisk -or somethig- on their bio, an obligated bonus in their contract paid by the NBA, the next year's All Star weekend and promotion in a city of the winning conference, etcetera.

bernardos70
02-02-2004, 07:07 PM
"home court advantage for the west or east"

I love that idea. That would definitely get players to play harder, which I think would make it more fun.