PDA

View Full Version : Bulls buy out Jay Williams contract

Drbio
02-03-2004, 09:28 AM
CHICAGO -- Jay Williams, who played one season with the Chicago Bulls before a motorcycle accident put his NBA career in jeopardy, and the team agreed on a contract buyout Monday.

Bill Duffy, Williams' agent, said the buyout was in the $3 million range. Williams had two more years worth about $7.7 million left on his original deal.

"No question it's more than fair," Duffy said. "Usually when you cut a deal it hurts both parties, but this is great for both parties."

Because riding a motorcycle violates the standard NBA contract, the Bulls could have terminated Williams' deal after the accident June 19. Instead, they put the former Duke star and No. 2 pick in the 2002 draft on injured reserve and continued to pay him.

The buyout allows the Bulls to gain a roster spot and flexibility with the salary cap.

Williams was riding a new motorcycle June 19 when the bike got away from him and slammed into a utility pole. He was thrown onto a grassy curb, face down from the waist up, his left leg tilting grotesquely upward.

He severed a main nerve in his leg, fractured his pelvis and tore three of the four main ligaments in his left knee. He spent two weeks at a Chicago hospital before being transferred to Duke University Medical Center, where he continues to rehab, holding onto hope that he can play again.

Williams 22, led Duke to a national title as a sophomore. He came to the Bulls a year later with great expectations but had his ups-and-downs as a rookie, finally losing his starting spot. He averaged 9.5 points as a rookie.

LRB
02-03-2004, 04:55 PM
That's overly kind by the Bulls IMO. If I did something stupid on my own time my employer certainly wouldn't compensate me for it. The Bulls legally didn't have to pay him a dime.

kingrex
02-03-2004, 06:00 PM
No wonder his agent was gushing over the agreement. You're right LRB that was very generous of the Bulls. Oh yeah, John Paxson is their GM now, and not that cheapskate Jerry. That explains that.

jayC
02-03-2004, 06:44 PM
Its very sad, Bobby Hurley anyone. Perhaps they didn't have to pay him, but it was a class thing to do. Jay was a great college player and perhaps could have been in the pros too.

kingrex
02-03-2004, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by: jayC
Its very sad, Bobby Hurley anyone. Perhaps they didn't have to pay him, but it was a class thing to do. Jay was a great college player and perhaps could have been in the pros too.

I was thinking exactly that while I was reading this article. Weird.i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif

Fidel
02-03-2004, 07:38 PM
Good publicity move by the Bulls. To cut him right after the accident would have added up to their allready bad rep with players from the Krause era.

Evilmav2
02-06-2004, 03:09 AM
This was a good publicity move, but it also represents a smart hedge-bet against the possibility of Jason coming back and being able to play at a high level again somewhere else. Jason was one hell of a player before getting hurt (at least for the national champ Dukies), and if he does effectively come back, he and the Bulls have both said he will do so in Chicago.

Paxson's cutting the Bull's contract losses while they could by settling with Williams, while keeping open the possibility of his returning to play in Chicago again, was just darned intelligent general managership (again, if JW does return, he has promised to do so in Chicago)...