PDA

View Full Version : All Star Reserves Named

mavs413
02-03-2004, 01:11 PM
Reserves (http://www.nba.com/allstar2004/allstar_game/reserves1_040203.html)

I hate how the NBA all-star voting is!
Finley played twice as many games as Allen this year and it doesnt matter?
Kirilenko on the all-star team? Joke!
Oh yeah, Nash was left off too!

harsh euro barge
02-03-2004, 01:30 PM
Don't hate on Kirilenko.....the guy does it all on both ends of the floor and is a HUGE reason the Jazz are in playoff contention
I'm a little more skeptical of Allen...his numbers aren't a lot better than Fin's when you look at the last 20 odd games they've played.....

Male30Dan
02-03-2004, 01:30 PM
Anyone notice that the Western Conference All-Stars have 5 7 footers while the Eastern Conference All-Stars do not have a single one!!!

It is pretty obvious where all of the talented bigs play!!!

mavs413
02-03-2004, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by: harsh euro barge
Don't hate on Kirilenko.....the guy does it all on both ends of the floor and is a HUGE reason the Jazz are in playoff contention
I'm a little more skeptical of Allen...his numbers aren't a lot better than Fin's when you look at the last 20 odd games they've played.....

Kirilenko didnt deserve it over:
Carmelo Anthony
Elton Brand
Pao Gasol
Zach Randolph

Ray Allen on the all-star team when hes played 21 games? What are the coaches thinking about?
There should be a committee or a group that actually sits down and thinks about it.

ddh33
02-03-2004, 01:56 PM
Hard to leave off Lebron. If this game is about showmanship, then he has to be there. Besides, the kid can play.

Fin has a right to be angry too. He made a strong case for himself.

harsh euro barge
02-03-2004, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by: mavs413

Originally posted by: harsh euro barge

Carmelo Anthony
Elton Brand
Pao Gasol
Zach Randolph

Ray Allen on the all-star team when hes played 21 games? What are the coaches thinking about?
There should be a committee or a group that actually sits down and thinks about it.

Kirilenko beats Carmelo in almost every single statistical category, plus Carmelo has guys like Miller, Nene, Boykins, and Camby to help ease the burden. Also, Melo's shooting percentage isn't pretty
Brand plays for a losing team
Kirilenko is statistically better overall than Gasol, plus Gasol plays on a deep (albeit not supertalented) team
Randolph is on a losing team

Big Boy Laroux
02-03-2004, 02:06 PM
kirilenko had to make it. allen, on the other hand, has only played 21 games. not an all-star. definitely hard to leave lebron off. he has lived up to the hype, and how. maybe they just don't want to put a rookie on.

dirno2000
02-03-2004, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by: ddh33
Hard to leave off Lebron. If this game is about showmanship, then he has to be there. Besides, the kid can play.

Don't be suprised if one of the East's reserves is involved in a mysterious "accident", thus giving The Chosen One a chance to market himself in the All-Star game i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

harsh euro barge
02-03-2004, 02:16 PM
that's probably why Z didn't make it either....no one wants two Cavs on that team.....

kg_veteran
02-03-2004, 02:56 PM
Carmelo Anthony
Elton Brand
Pao Gasol
Zach Randolph

The Nuggets probably deserved a representative, but Kirilenko's having a much better year than Anthony, and both teams are contending for the playoffs.

Brand and Randolph are eliminated by virtue of the bad teams they play for.

Gasol is beaten out by Kirilenko for the same reason Anthony is.

seelenjaeger
02-03-2004, 05:14 PM
Seattle isnīt that much better than Portland nor the Clips and donīt mention the Grizz here.

Actually I think Randolph deserves a spot BECAUSE he plays for Portland ... AK47 over Randolph is plain weird.

The true guys not deserving to be on that squad are Steve Franchise and probably Mrs. Bryant.

I see why they took Magloire over Ilgauskas. Good call imho.

SaltwaterChaffy
02-03-2004, 05:55 PM
I think the coaches realize that Randolph plays worse defense than Dirk, and that AK is by far the more superior all-around player.

Of course, in the all-star game, no defense fits in well.

MavKikiNYC
02-03-2004, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by: kg_veteran

Carmelo Anthony
Elton Brand
Pao Gasol
Zach Randolph

The Nuggets probably deserved a representative, but Kirilenko's having a much better year than Anthony, and both teams are contending for the playoffs.

Brand and Randolph are eliminated by virtue of the bad teams they play for.

Gasol is beaten out by Kirilenko for the same reason Anthony is.

Wonder how much Brand's injury and Randoph's arrest might've factored in. But I'd go with Kirilenko over either of them year, as well as over Anthony. Gasol is a little bit tougher though.

IMO, Fin definitely should've gone before Allen. Is there a little bit of a Mavs' backlash?

dirno2000
02-03-2004, 06:45 PM
If I'm a coach, I can't justify voting two Mavs to the All-Star game when they're clinging to the 5th seed. Especially in a conference as deep as the West.

mavsfanforever
02-03-2004, 10:19 PM
Steve Francis would have never made it if ignorant fans did not make him a starter. Anyway, he is probably on the verge of getting traded anyway.

Nash13
02-04-2004, 06:37 PM
Carmelo Anthony
Elton Brand
Pao Gasol
Zach Randolph

Kirilenko is not the biggest guy in the world. To me, it's something special if a guy his size is averaging almost 3 blocks a game and about 2 and a half steals. He's just as good, if not better, on defense than Brand, he has a wider range than Gasol and Randolph, and has a lot better shot selection than Melo.

I wouldn't trade Kirilenko for anybody on that list.

If I'm a coach, I can't justify voting two Mavs to the All-Star game when they're clinging to the 5th seed. Especially in a conference as deep as the West.

If you're going to use that logic, then you can make that same argument for Shaq/Kobe both being to the all star game by both have been injured, and their team is clinging to a 5th spot. I'd rather have Dirk/Fin in the all star game than Francis/Kirilenko/Randolph/Gasol/Melo/Allen/Brand who are all just fighting to try and make the playoffs in a deep west.

OutletPass
02-04-2004, 06:49 PM
Kirilenko definitely deserved it...but I also think that Melo did, too...but there's only so many slots...zand the coaches are hemmed in by the fan's selections...Subtract StevieFranchise Yao...and you have 2 open slots...then Allen would make it 3.

Very good cases can be made for a number of well qualified guys...but it's not like they're playing with 15 man rosters...and as long as the fans vote in people like StevieFranchise...one or two slots are always going to be "wasted".

All in all...I think that the members here voted for a MUCH better team.

It's always nice to have guys on the team...but, honestly, I think it's far better that Steve and Fin get some rest. I wouldn't have been that upset if Dirk got to rest his ankles either. I'm ok with just having one, and I agree with Dirno's logic about the 5th seed, ...

All in all, our guys can use some healing time. The playoffs are a hell of a lot more important !

The older I get, the sillier the all-star game looks. I doubt that I'll even watch it...at best, it's a tivo replay item where I can fast forward to interesting things...nothing more.