PDA

View Full Version : Dunk Contest

MavsFanFinley
02-10-2004, 08:40 PM
It's going to be hard to beat Richardson, but I'll be interested in what Chris Andersen will do to try and win.

Richardson tries to out-jam Jordan in NBA dunk event

February 10, 2004

LOS ANGELES (AFP) - Jason Richardson will attempt to achieve a feat not even high-flying Michael Jordan accomplished when he goes for a third consecutive victory in the National Basketball Association Slam Dunk contest.

High-leaping Richardson, a guard for the Golden State Warriors , will try to defend his crown here Saturday during festivities before Sunday's NBA All-Star Game.

Ricky Davis of the Boston Celtics and first-timers Chris Andersen of the Denver Nuggets and Fred Jones of the Indiana Pacers will try to wrest the title away from Richardson.

Since the slam dunk event began in 1984, no player has won the competition three times. Richardson became just the second player to repeat as champion last year, joining the legendary Jordan.

Richardson's dunks began with high ball tosses into the air, none more magnificent than his last effort - a leaping move with his back to the rim that ended with him passing the ball between his legs and jamming over his head.

Perfect scores enabled him to edge Desmond Mason 96-93 to keep his crown.

Richardson was the Most Valuable Player of the NBA Rookie Challenge in 2002 and last year led the game in scoring to guide a victory by NBA sophomores.

Jason Richardson will attempt to achieve a feat not even high-flying Michael Jordan accomplished when he goes for a third consecutive victory in the National Basketball Association Slam Dunk contest.

Nash13
02-11-2004, 12:23 AM
It's going to be really interesting to see what Chris Anderson does. He just jumps high for a guy his height, but i've never seen him do a flash dunk.

Fred Jones has had a couple of quality dunks, Mason was not in it because he's been in it for the past three years. Let go, it's over.

Although the 3pt shootout is the only other thing besides the all star game to watch, i'll probably watch it anyways.

WayOutWest
02-11-2004, 01:11 AM
Maybe they should invite that kid who does the 360 from the freethrow line?

madape
02-11-2004, 09:52 AM
http://www.nba.com/media/nuggets/andersen_031129.jpg

Are you ready for BIRDMANIA?!

Big Boy Laroux
02-11-2004, 01:26 PM
i'm definitely interested to see what anderson does... the kid certainly can jump. we'll see if he has any creativity.

SaltwaterChaffy
02-11-2004, 03:52 PM
The NBA decided to make some arbitrary rule that you have to be in your first three years in the NBA to be in the dunk contest. This was the reason that Desmond Mason is not involved in this year's contest.

Ricky Davis is in 7th year....i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif

mavsfanforever
02-11-2004, 04:04 PM
Mason was the only guy who has a chance to beat him and he isn't gonna be there. However, we have to see what gametime Dunker(Ricky "the triple double" davis) brings to the table.

Lonely PSU Mavs Fan
02-11-2004, 06:55 PM
I really wish that Mason would go because (like mff said) he is the only one that could really challenge richardson. I think Anderson wont be much more than Amare was last year, big guys just are not that impressive doing solo dunks. Sure, anderson's dunks are impressive in a game, but i am really curious to see if he can think up some cool stuff and not just be another big guy trying to be in the slam dunk competition.

Big Boy Laroux
02-12-2004, 08:55 AM
mason was contacted to be in the competition. however, he had already made plans for all-star weekend, because he thought the "3-year rule" was still in effect. he said his plans weren't flexible and could not be changed.

so no desmond.

Chicago JK
02-12-2004, 09:39 AM
Chris Anderson?? What a joke. The guy is 6'10. The NBA continues to pick the wrong dunkers every year in the contest. Looks like another boring dunk contest.