PDA

View Full Version : Rumor that the Knicks are interested in Walker

DNNF
02-11-2004, 11:30 AM
It is close to the end of the article.

Wednesday, February 11, 2004

BY DAVE D'ALESSANDRO
Star-Ledger Staff

DALLAS -- The subject of Rasheed Wallace invariably polarizes opinions -- some coaches and fans detest him, others merely loathe him -- but if you were to poll the Knicks, his arrival in New York would have been welcomed with trumpets and confetti.

And yes, it was closer to being a reality than the team is willing to admit.

According to a league official familiar with the Portland-Atlanta trade that was completed Monday night, the Knicks were in the bidding for the controversial forward "right up until the final days," and that the Blazers' refusal to take Keith Van Horn in the deal was ultimately the deal-breaker.

"It takes two teams to agree on the talent and the numbers, and in this situation, both were factors," the official said.

He added that Wallace was "extremely interested in getting to New York, but it takes two (teams) to tango."

This disappoints Stephon Marbury, among others. The Knicks' point guard, who lately has made it a habit of refusing to comment on controversial issues -- and nothing would set the chat shows on fire as quickly as a deal for Wallace -- consecrated him as a dream teammate.

"Yeah, I would like to play with him," Marbury said during the morning shootaround yesterday. "He's one of the top big men in the East."

Wallace, who can still be rerouted before next Wednesday's trade deadline -- but is more likely to stay in Atlanta, so that the Hawks can lop his $18 million salary off their cap -- is arguably the most feared player in the league because of his notoriously intemperate disposition.

"Because of why? Because of all the offcourt stuff?" Marbury protested. "Well, if that's going to justify his basketball playing, I'll deal with that every day. You're trying to win championships. You're not trying to sell panties and drawers."

Wallace, he added, "would bring more attitude to this team."

It is very unlikely the Knicks could get Wallace before the summer, however.

Indeed, he can still be traded as long as he is the only Atlanta player involved in the deal -- this skirts the usual two-month moratorium, but it is allowable, according to the rules -- but the Hawks would probably want to get expiring contracts in return so that they could commence the rebuilding process this summer.

There is always the possibility the Hawks would be willing to sign-and-trade Wallace to New York when he becomes a free agent, however.

"I don't think anyone has to sell New York," Marbury said. "People are starting to see what direction we're going in. We would love to have Rasheed Wallace. That would be a plus all the way around."

Until then, however, Isiah Thomas is looking to hit another home run by adding quality size or athleticism throughout the roster.

It was no coincidence the Knicks president joined the team on this trip, as he is aware that last night's opponent is always a willing trade partner. There has been some speculation regarding Knicks interest in Antoine Walker, which is not so far-fetched.

The trick might be to convince the Mavericks that Kurt Thomas would give them the toughness they often lack, and that Shandon Anderson would provide them with an effective perimeter defender and lane-filler on the break.

Mark Cuban, for one, would need some convincing.

"No knock on Kurt Thomas," the Mavs owner said last month, "but we're not going to make a change to make a change, just swapping parts or comparable pieces.

"Kurt's a great defender, but defending in the East is completely different than defending in the West. How you compete in the East and West are night-and-day different. So, we have to put it in the context of what happens in the Western Conference. If we're going to get somebody, it's going to be a big 'big.'"

Moving Thomas wouldn't exactly make Marbury happy, but he'd accept it.

"If he feels something is going to make us better," he said of Thomas, "he would do the best thing to make us better."

TheBaron
02-11-2004, 09:58 PM
S. Anderson and K. Thomas are pathetic. Why would we do that?

Murphy3
02-11-2004, 10:01 PM
Since when has K. Thomas been 'pathetic'?

TheBaron
02-11-2004, 10:06 PM
Im just saying- the Knicks have been trying to get anything for him. His trade value is really low, even lower than Walker's

We woudlnt be getting any height, walker and Thomas are comparable rebounders, and we would be losing Walker's passing. Except for this year, walker is a better shot blocker as well. The only reason to pull that trade is to stop Walker from throwing up longrangers.

Murphy3
02-11-2004, 10:20 PM
You'd receive a much better man to man defender. I suppose that should count for something. I'm not saying I'm for this trade. But, to say that Thomas is 'pathetic' is pretty much WAY off base.

Remember, Boston was more than willing to get rid of Walker. So, New York's willing to get rid of Thomas. A team's willingness to deal a player isn't always solely indicative of the player's abililties and performance.

mavsfanforever
02-11-2004, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by: Murphy3
You'd receive a much better man to man defender. I suppose that should count for something. I'm not saying I'm for this trade. But, to say that Thomas is 'pathetic' is pretty much WAY off base.

Remember, Boston was more than willing to get rid of Walker. So, New York's willing to get rid of Thomas. A team's willingness to deal a player isn't always solely indicative of the player's abililties and performance.

BTW, there is a huge difference between the two. Walker was a three time ALL-star when boston was willing to get rid of him whereas Kurt has not been a very effective player and certainly not a player who can change the complexion of a game unlike walker. BTW, walker can change the game either in a positive way or a negative way.

Murphy3
02-11-2004, 11:00 PM
Thomas has been an all-star.
thought I'd remind you.

And to be honest, I really don't know how Walker made the all-star team three times. I simply cannot believe that he was deserving to make the team three times in his career.

mavsfanforever
02-11-2004, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by: Murphy3
Thomas has been an all-star.
thought I'd remind you.

And to be honest, I really don't know how Walker made the all-star team three times. I simply cannot believe that he was deserving to make the team three times in his career.

I do not care how he made the all star three times but a player who has made all star three times does have a better value in trade than a player who has been an all star once and has been part of a losing team except for a couple a of years.

OutletPass
02-11-2004, 11:59 PM
Thomas has been an all-star. thought I'd remind you. And to be honest, I really don't know how Walker made the all-star team three times.

--Totally twisted logic from overrated land.

MightyToine
02-12-2004, 02:13 PM
There has been some speculation regarding Knicks interest in Antoine Walker, which is not so far-fetched.

KEY WORDS IN BOLD.

Thank you.

Nash13
02-12-2004, 10:01 PM
I do not care how he made the all star three times but a player who has made all star three times does have a better value in trade than a player who has been an all star once and has been part of a losing team except for a couple a of years.

Actually it does matter how the player made the all star team. This is the same conference that voted Maggloire in because they had an extra center spot. And the same conference where Glen Rice was the MVP for their team. I cannot name more than three power forwards in the east that are worthy of making the all star team. Whereas in the west, Dirk, Duncan,(healthy)Webber, Garnett, Brand deserve the spot. It was obvious that Walker couldn't make the West's team. The only east power forward that could make the West team is J O'Neal.

ProudAmerican
02-13-2004, 02:37 AM
Why don't we trade Walker for Keith Van Horn. Their salaries have to be similar. Then we can have the bench warmer we want so badly and we can send the deserving All Star to New York where he can actually get to play.
While we are at it we should trade Walker and Jamison for Van Horn and Thomas (and some filler)
to New York so we can change our teams name to the Dallas Knicks. Then maybe we cannot make the playoffs for the last 5 or so years.