PDA

View Full Version : NBA Insider Feb 12

thebac
02-12-2004, 12:38 PM
The answer to trade rumor blahs

The NBA trade deadline is now a week away. Usually that's an occasion for trade- and rumor-mongers everywhere to celebrate. Usually the biggest trade rumors are running rampant right about now ... but this year? Everyone has already been traded.

With Rasheed Wallace, Shareef Abdur-Rahim and Theo Ratliff changing addresses on Monday, it's time to ask the inevitable question ... is there anyone worthwhile left to trade? Well, there's at least one.

Allen Iverson's name is now being tossed around the rumor mill after Sixers GM Billy King admitted AI no longer was untouchable in the aftermath of the Randy Ayers firing Monday.

Allen Iverson
Shooting Guard
Philadelphia 76ers

2003-2004 SEASON STATISTICS
GM PPG RPG APG FG% FT%
39 27.4 3.9 6.3 .395 .751

"Everybody at some point in their career has to be available," King told the Delaware News Journal. "Obviously, it would take a high-quality player to move someone like Allen. But I've got to do what's best for the franchise."

The problem, as one GM sees it, is King will never get Sixers chairman Ed Snider to agree to an Iverson trade. If King keeps insisting on it, Snider will just fire King and bring in someone else to clean up the mess.

"Billy thinks that he's got to move Allen if he's going to rebuild this team," one GM told Insider. "But he can't get ownership to sign off on it. So far they don't want to hear it. Allen puts people in the seats every night. Who are they going to get to replace him. If Iverson's gone, the Sixers have no stars left. They'll be bad, and the arena will be empty. At least this way, people are still coming to watch him play."

Eric Snow
Point Guard
Philadelphia 76ers

GM PPG RPG APG FG% FT%
53 10.6 3.5 7.0 .405 .790

Instead, the Sixers have tried everything in their power to move Eric Snow, Aaron McKie and Glenn Robinson. The only two players King doesn't want to move are Kenny Thomas and Samuel Dalembert, another GM told Insider. However, if the right deal came along, even Dalembert could be had.

So far, no such deals have come along.

Who are the Sixers going to get to play alongside Iverson? Every guy they've brought into Philly as a second option to Iverson has failed. Is there really someone out there worth the trouble? Doubt it.

More likely, King is looking for cap room in 2005. Getting Snow and McKie's contracts off the books now would help get them there, but it won't be enough. King still needs to get Todd MacCulloch to retire and move either Derrick Coleman or Marc Jackson, as well, before the Sixers would have substantial cap room.

Talk about a mess. "They may have the worst cap situation of any team in the league," another league executive said. "It's brutal. They should've never signed Thomas to that big deal and given Snow, Iverson and Coleman those extensions. That locked them in for good with a team only Larry Brown knew how to coach. If they're determined to keep Iverson, they're screwed."

Well ... screwed is a harsh word. Filling the building every night, even when your team is losing, is something, at least. And considering that no one yet has offered a viable alternative to AI in Philly ... you can't blame Snider for wanting to keep AI and cover his losses.

Around the league

Erick Dampier
Center
Golden State Warriors

GM PPG RPG APG FG% FT%
51 11.9 11.6 0.7 .517 .636

Word is the Warriors are still trying to figure ways to kick Nick Van Exel to the curb. The bait, as it was a few weeks ago, is Erick Dampier. The problem is, there isn't another team out there with the type of expiring contracts or cap room the Warriors are looking for.

The closest could be the Celtics, who are trying to combine the expiring contracts of Chris Mills ($6.6 million) and Chris Mihm ($2.8) to convince someone to make a deal. That's enough to get Damp, but why would the Warriors give him up without also getting rid of Van Exel? Then again, this is the Warriors we're talking about.

The Grizzlies have interest, but they would have to send half their team to Golden State to make a deal work. Are Van Exel and Damp, even in Hubie Brown's great system, really worth what it would take to get them? Concerns about Van Exel's attitude and Dampier's knees say no.

If neither Dampier or Iverson go anywhere, where does that leave us? Probably with an active trade deadline filled with much smaller deals. Who has the best chances of being moved? Juwan Howard, Marcus Fizer, Melvin Ely, Corliss Williamson, Michael Doleac and some wacky combination of low-level Raptors players. Wake me up when it's over.

Here's the latest on the developing Vin Baker situation in Boston. Baker's agent, Aaron Goodwin, keeps claiming Vin is able to play, but the Celtics claim they've had no contact with him. Baker missed his 10th consecutive game, which means the team can now attempt to void the remaining two years on his contract. With Baker due nearly $30 million over the next two seasons, a lot is at stake for both parties. While dumping Baker and his contract would save a lot of money, it really doesn't get the Celtics that far under the cap. A lower payroll and roster flexibility will be nice. But that's about all they'll see until the summer of 2006.

What's up with the Knicks? According to the New York press, Isiah Thomas is involved in every deal, ever discussed, in the history of the NBA. Every single one.

Steve Francis
Point Guard
Houston Rockets

GM PPG RPG APG FG% FT%
51 16.9 5.5 5.9 .403 .765

Apologies are in order to the record number of readers who wrote in the past two days furious at the three-way trade proposal floated by Insider that would've sent Steve Francis, Eric Piatkowski, Glenn Robinson and Aaron McKie to Portland; Eric Snow, Zach Randolph, Qyntel Woods and Ruben Patterson to Houston and Dale Davis and Damon Stoudamire to Philly.
Here's what Insider has learned ...

Houston fans are outraged because Francis is still the franchise, and they don't want to replace him with an overpaid, low-scoring point guard or an overweight, lazy-defending, teammate-punching power forward.

Portland fans are livid because Randolph is the franchise, and they don't want to replace him with an overpaid, poor-shooting point guard who skips practice for the Super Bowl, a Big Dog with a big mouth who flopped with a similar supporting cast in Atlanta, and an aging role player with a big, fat contract.

Philly fans are angry because Snow is the best thing that ever happened to Iverson; McKie, I'm told, is the ultimate sixth man (huh?); and hanging on to Robinson, despite the ugliness, is still preferable to getting two guys they really hate in return. Interestingly Philly fans also are angry because King never makes any moves, and they really think he should find a way to dump the contracts of Snow and McKie -- just not for two guys from the Blazers who both happen to have expiring deals in 2005.

We really should talk more.

Peep Show

New York Knicks: I want what the Knicks' owner is drinking. "I'm looking forward to making a few longer trips in May and even into June," James Dolan said in the New York Post after watching his team lose to the Hornets in New Orleans. "I'd like to see us go all the way. I think this team could. I don't think anybody would say that's not possible. They're only getting better. [Coach Lenny Wilkens] has only been here [14] games. There's no reason to think they're not going to continue to improve." Then he really started getting antsy. "It's hard for me to even say we won't make the playoffs," Dolan said. "There's very little chance we won't make the playoffs. I'm definitely looking forward to the feeling of going to a playoff game," Dolan added. "When I went to the last Knick playoff games, when it got close, I could barely sit in my seat."

Los Angeles Lakers: The Lakers and Phil Jackson have suspended talks on a contract extension, and now the head coach is referring to his current franchise as "they." "I have no hard feelings at all," Jackson said in the Los Angeles Times. "I actually think it's the right move for them to make with all the free agents they have this summer." Both sides, though, made it clear that talks would resume in earnest after a tumultuous season. "I think that a new contract, an extension, is somewhere between possibility and probability," agent Todd Musburger said. But Jackson wasn't taking anything for granted. "I love to do that," Jackson said. "That's one of my favorite things. That's reality. I've done it two or three times in my career. It's OK. It's what the game's about."

Detroit Pistons: Different starting lineup but same result as Detroit fell to its fifth straight loss against the Kings Wednesday night. "The reason (for the change) was to get more energy to start the game," Tayshaun Prince said in the Detroit News as he and Elden Campbell were replaced by Darvin Ham an Zeljko Rebraca. "It was sort of unfair to Darvin, though, to be put in a situation like that. He had been playing up-and-down minutes and then to all of a sudden have to start against Peja, that's unfair big-time. But the message Coach was trying to send was that we can't keep starting the games down. I don't think he was saying that me and Elden were the ones not doing it. I think he was trying to show all of us, we have to go harder."

Seattle SuperSonics: Brent Barry is a free agent next year and teammate Ray Allen is applying to be his agent. "We need veterans on this team," Allen said in the Post Intelligencer. "We need guys who know how to win. We have enough young players as it is. He's a guy that has proven himself. He knows the game. He's smart. Why do you not pay for that?" Barry has missed 11 games this year with a broken hand and the Sonics are 4-7 in his absence.

Chicago Bulls: Rookie Kirk Hinrich knows he fouls. He just doesn't think he fouls all the time and that, every once in awhile he'd like to get a call, too. "Guys who foul all the time get away with it because refs won't call a foul on every play," Hinrich said in the Chicago Sun Times. "I'm just trying to feel it out to create my style of when I can be aggressive and when I can't." His coach, Scott Skiles, agreed. "You're not allowed to question the officials, and that happens to be a rule I don't agree with," Skiles said. "We all have to be held accountable. I'll keep saying Kirk plays very hard, and he's one of the best defensive guys in the league right now. I'll leave it at that."

Nicky31
02-12-2004, 12:57 PM
Thanks thebac, for the daily posting the insider here..

Philly's crazy if they move AI just from a marketing standpoint..(his jersey has to be 1 of the top 3 most sold jersey's in the NBA)..

ddh33
02-12-2004, 01:01 PM
Supposedly, Iverson's name has been floated by the Mavs as a hypothetical. I would imagine there would be a ton of interest from everyone, depite his flaws. But as the article mentioned, it's doubtful that Philly would move their star when he is one of only a handful of guys that fills an arena by himself. I would stay tuned for the next year, but I don't think Philly will do anything this quickly.

MightyToine
02-12-2004, 02:15 PM
Word is the Warriors are still trying to figure ways to kick Nick Van Exel to the curb. The bait, as it was a few weeks ago, is Erick Dampier. The problem is, there isn't another team out there with the type of expiring contracts or cap room the Warriors are looking for.

The closest could be the Celtics, who are trying to combine the expiring contracts of Chris Mills ($6.6 million) and Chris Mihm ($2.8) to convince someone to make a deal. That's enough to get Damp, but why would the Warriors give him up without also getting rid of Van Exel? Then again, this is the Warriors we're talking about.

The Grizzlies have interest, but they would have to send half their team to Golden State to make a deal work. Are Van Exel and Damp, even in Hubie Brown's great system, really worth what it would take to get them? Concerns about Van Exel's attitude and Dampier's knees say no.

If neither Dampier or Iverson go anywhere, where does that leave us? Probably with an active trade deadline filled with much smaller deals. Who has the best chances of being moved? Juwan Howard, Marcus Fizer, Melvin Ely, Corliss Williamson, Michael Doleac and some wacky combination of low-level Raptors players. Wake me up when it's over.

Gee....No NVE/Dampier for Walker Trade rumor? I wonder why? i/expressions/rolleye.gif

surprising, though, that the Celtics could be able to snag him....

Bottom line : Walker is STAYING PUT. Now...Next year....and the 7 Years after that! i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

Nicky31
02-12-2004, 04:01 PM
Gee....No NVE/Dampier for Walker Trade rumor? I wonder why? i/expressions/rolleye.gif

surprising, though, that the Celtics could be able to snag him....

Bottom line : Walker is STAYING PUT. Now...Next year....and the 7 Years after that! i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/quote]

MT we will see how many teams will be intrested in Walker next season when he will be in the last season of his contract (roughly around 17 million of cap space).

I have a feeling if the right deal comes along hypothically speaking like a Ben Wallace & other player options for Antoine Walker kind of a deal is laid out there the Mav's in my mind wouldn't have many problems pulling the trigger. At first I liked the Golden State trade alot, but after thinking this team will not be that much better than currently especially considering Dallas wouldn't get NVE in the deal and the question marks that seem to lie around Dampier make you wonder how he will perform after this season.

I think the Mav's will put the Walker trades to a close till next offseason when his value will be sky high...(that is unless a no brainer deal is brought to us by Feb. 19)

LRB
02-12-2004, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by: ddh33
Supposedly, Iverson's name has been floated by the Mavs as a hypothetical. I would imagine there would be a ton of interest from everyone, depite his flaws. But as the article mentioned, it's doubtful that Philly would move their star when he is one of only a handful of guys that fills an arena by himself. I would stay tuned for the next year, but I don't think Philly will do anything this quickly.

Oh please don't Bring Iverson here. Under no circumstances would I ever want to see Iverson in a Mavs Uni, most especially if Nellie was the coach. I could just see a return to small ball with the games most prolific volume shooter in the starting lineup. Honestly I'd rather have Greg Buckner talentwise over Iverson.

Nicky31
02-12-2004, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by: LRB

Originally posted by: ddh33

Oh please don't Bring Iverson here. Under no circumstances would I ever want to see Iverson in a Mavs Uni, most especially if Nellie was the coach. I could just see a return to small ball with the games most prolific volume shooter in the starting lineup. Honestly I'd rather have Greg Buckner talentwise over Iverson.

LRB I would have to disagree with you about Iverson if Philly would take Finley and Walker (and this is probably what it would take at least) I would have to do it.

Reasons being he has no problem taking people off the dribble, and getting to the rim, and I can't even imagine having Iverson and Nash teamed up together in the backcourt they would break down any defensive stragedy with dribble penetration everytime down the floor. You would have 3 players demanding a double team on the offensive end...

Not to mention the perimeter defense he would bring to this team...

Plus Mark Cuban would love to sell a ton of blue and white jersey's reading number 3 "Iverson"...(I can hear Matt Pinto saying Cha-ching already)...i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

Jamisonite
02-12-2004, 06:14 PM
Maybe a Walker and Finley for Iverson, Glenn Robison, and Dalembart deal...it works

DNNF
02-12-2004, 06:57 PM
Walker can be gone by the trade deadline. There are many teams that interested in his cap room in 2005. Looked at Denver, they traded for Juwan Howard and keep him for one year and dumped him after the contract expired. Golden States should definitely do that since they are basically trying to rebuild.

rakesh.s
02-12-2004, 10:30 PM
move nash/walker or nash/jamison to get iverson

let philly resign nash to the max at the end of the year

i think we are the favorites to win the title with iverson..iverson and dirk is a tough matchup for any team

plus with nash's contract expiring billy king would probably be thrilled to get some cap room

jayC
02-12-2004, 10:53 PM
Murph would hate the trade. But on the other hand Iverson's shooting percentage could increase dramatically with good players surrounding him. Robinson is kind of starting to become kind of a cancer although the bucks and hawks and sixers aren't your model franchises.

As far as getting rid of Nash I wouldn't trade him for AI.

MightyToine
02-13-2004, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by: DNNF
Walker can be gone by the trade deadline. There are many teams that interested in his cap room in 2005. Looked at Denver, they traded for Juwan Howard and keep him for one year and dumped him after the contract expired. Golden States should definitely do that since they are basically trying to rebuild.

He could...But he won't.

I'm willing to believe Donnie and Cuban in this one about just "going to war with the team we have".

bernardos70
02-13-2004, 10:12 AM
Iverson is a good defender, plus he can create his own shot, and a fastbreak with iverson in Dallas? Why is he a volume shooter? Because no one in Philly shoots it except Glenn Robinson. I bet Iverson has the ball some 15 seconds every posession. I really believe if he could tone down his shooting he would be a great fit in Dallas style of play, especially defense, hustle. Is he perfect? No, he does shoot the ball too much, he turns it over too much sometimes..... but I'd be willing to try and make it work.

LRB
02-13-2004, 11:08 AM
I doubt that Iverson's shooting percentage would change much. He's a volume shooter. Always has been, always will be. Losing Nash would wreck our offense even more than adding a ball hogging volume shooter like Iverson. Doing both would be fatal. We would still suck as D, only now we would only be average on offense. We'd struggle to make the playoffs, and exit early once we did.

Nicky31 Iverson can take people off the dribble now, and he still shoots horribly. As much as I critize Walker, I'd tons rather have him than Iverson. AI would probably disrupt the chemistry on this team with his selfish antics. He's a prima donna and a thug. A most terrible combination. IMO AI is probably the single most overrated player in the league.

I'd still be a Mavs fan if this trade was made. But i'd lose all hope of a Mavs championship until we got rid of AI.

DubOverdose
02-13-2004, 12:06 PM
I've only been a basketball fan this season, but wouldn't AI be similar(negative ways) to Walker? Shoots a lot, not a great fg%, etc? While I love watching AI play, I doubt we'd see him here...and besides, I don't want him here since next year I'll be in PA and I wanna go to some 76ers games.

Nicky31
02-13-2004, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by: Jamisonite
Maybe a Walker and Finley for Iverson, Glenn Robison, and Dalembart deal...it works

Here's how it would look on paper...(I wish they would add steals and blocks per average to this)..

Dallas trades: PF Antoine Walker (15.5 ppg, 9.0 rpg, 5.2 apg in 37.6 minutes)
SG Michael Finley (18.9 ppg, 5.0 rpg, 2.9 apg in 40.0 minutes)
Dallas receives: C Samuel Dalembert (7.0 ppg, 6.4 rpg, 0.2 apg in 23.6 minutes)
SG Allen Iverson (27.4 ppg, 4.0 rpg, 6.3 apg in 42.7 minutes)
SF Glenn Robinson (17.5 ppg, 5.0 rpg, 1.5 apg in 33.4 minutes)
Change in team outlook: +17.5 ppg, +1.4 rpg, and -0.1 apg.

Philadelphia trades: C Samuel Dalembert (7.0 ppg, 6.4 rpg, 0.2 apg in 23.6 minutes)
SG Allen Iverson (27.4 ppg, 4.0 rpg, 6.3 apg in 42.7 minutes)
SF Glenn Robinson (17.5 ppg, 5.0 rpg, 1.5 apg in 33.4 minutes)
Philadelphia receives: PF Antoine Walker (15.5 ppg, 9.0 rpg, 5.2 apg in 52 games)
SG Michael Finley (18.9 ppg, 5.0 rpg, 2.9 apg in 47 games)
Change in team outlook: -17.5 ppg, -1.4 rpg, and +0.1 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED

Poindexter Einstein
02-13-2004, 04:04 PM
MT ...."I'm willing to believe Donnie and Cuban in this one about just "going to war with the team we have".

To be clear, thats not exactly what they said. They said they will go with this team UNLESS they get an offer too good to pass up. They will still be answering calls and exploring deals, but they just dont think they will be getting that no-brainer offer. And that makes sense - there is no reason for a change UNLESS you get a big upgrade offered to you.

MightyToine
02-13-2004, 04:10 PM
I doubt that Iverson's shooting percentage would change much. He's a volume shooter. Always has been, always will be. Losing Nash would wreck our offense even more than adding a ball hogging volume shooter like Iverson. Doing both would be fatal. We would still suck as D, only now we would only be average on offense. We'd struggle to make the playoffs, and exit early once we did.

Nicky31 Iverson can take people off the dribble now, and he still shoots horribly. As much as I critize Walker, I'd tons rather have him than Iverson. AI would probably disrupt the chemistry on this team with his selfish antics. He's a prima donna and a thug. A most terrible combination. IMO AI is probably the single most overrated player in the league.

I'd still be a Mavs fan if this trade was made. But i'd lose all hope of a Mavs championship until we got rid of AI.

LRB, I think we'll both agree that as much as Walker is criticized for his dumb plays, He is at least a guy of GOOD CHARACTER. i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

LRB
02-13-2004, 04:39 PM
MT I never questioned Walker's character as a member of society. He definitely appears not to be a thug, rapist, wife beater, drug user, or other all around low life as exemplified by other NBA players.

MightyToine
02-14-2004, 12:56 AM
MT I never questioned Walker's character as a member of society. He definitely appears not to be a thug, rapist, wife beater, drug user, or other all around low life as exemplified by other NBA players.

Oh wait a sec! Walker DOES drink plenty of WHINE, though. i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif