PDA

View Full Version : Pick the Top 10 NBA players...Now !

OutletPass
02-15-2004, 12:48 AM
I'd love to see who everyone thinks are the top 10 NBA players since about 25 guys get called "Top 10 " players... (I'll count the votes, as I did with the Dallas-Mavs All Star selections, and then publish them...when voting closes on Monday night at midnight...)

The only rules: First place gets 10 points...descending down to #10 who'll get 1 point. And positions don't matter, you can pick 6 PF's and 4 SG's ....this is just about who you rank (in ORDER) as the best in the game.

Who do you pick ?

ReDIRKulous
02-15-2004, 01:27 AM
Last Season.................................... This Season

1. Duncan........................................ 1. Duncan
2. Shaq............................................ 2. Shaq ( want to clarify something here... I don't really believe Shaq is this good but he is this dominant because of the way he is officiated)
3. Dirk.............................................. . 3. KG (KG's lack of clutchness kept him behind Dirk last season... appears to be clutch... but might collapse... KG looked like the MVP last season at this time as well)
4. KG................................................ . 4. Dirk
5 Webber.......................................... 5. Jermaine O'neal
6. Tmac.............................................. 6. Tmac
7. Kobe.............................................. 7. Paul Pierce
8. Paul Pierce..................................... 8. Peja
9. Steve Nash................................... 9. Jason Kidd
10. AI................................................ . 10. Shawn Marion

SaltwaterChaffy
02-15-2004, 01:27 AM
1. Tim Duncan
2. Kevin Garnett
3. Shaq
4. T-Mac
5. Dirk
6. Jason Kidd
7. Jermaine O'Neal
8. Yao Ming
9. Kobe Bryant
10. Allen Iverson

I don't feel the need to explain most of my list, except for Kobe's placing. It would have been higher, but given his legal troubles, this year his game has seemed very off. He's still getting his points, but he's not in the flow of the game. That's why he is where he is at.

Shaq Attack2
02-15-2004, 01:30 AM
My list is based on a players' entire career, but with the primary emphasis on this season:

1. Duncan
2. KG
3. Shaq
4. Tmac
5. Kobe
6. Jason Kidd
7. Allen Iverson
8. Chris Webber
9. Dirk Nowitzki
10. Jermaine O'Neil

Guys like Peja, Marbury and Pierce, among others, are right on that cusp.

Shaq Attack2
02-15-2004, 01:31 AM
Obviously though, Webber hasn't played this season, but I'm assuming he's no worse than last season.

mavsfanforever
02-15-2004, 01:43 AM
1). Duncan.
2). Shaq.
3). KG
4). Dirk.
5). Peja.
6). Marbury.
7). Baron Davis.
8). Elton Brand.
9). Jermaine O neil.
10). Sam Cassell.

All the picks above are just based on this season.

Poindexter Einstein
02-15-2004, 01:46 AM
My criteria: Primary emphasis is on current accomplishments, not career (so, Malone is not a factor) - extra value to contributions to a winner rather than in a losing role (so Peja rather than McGrady or Pierce; Jermaine and Dirk rather than Brand, Randolph, and Kirilenko) - preference to multi-faceted players with excellence in more than one area, rather than shooter only or rebounder only (Jermaine and Dirk, not B Wallace) - tried to look at big, swing, and small for at least a choice or two....

[IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER ....]....edited: oops, I just saw this does demand an order ranking ...

1. Shaq
2. TD
3. KG
4. Dirk
5. Jermaine
6. Kidd
7. AI
8. Nash
9. B Davis
10. Peja

twelli
02-15-2004, 01:53 AM
1. Kevin Garnett (I like his heart)
2. Tim Duncan (don't like his FTs)
3. Dirk (I'm a Dirk fan, can't help it)
4. Kobe Bryant (too many issues to reach the peak)
5. Yao Ming (this is for Shaq)
6. Shaq (most dominant, bla bla bla, will never like him)
7. Jason Kidd (can make any team a winner)
8. Jermaine O'Neal (best PF, in the East)
9. Allen Iverson (unbelievable for his size, too many issues, though)
10. T-Mac (lost how many in a row? haven't seen those Kobe-T-Mac comparisons in a while)
22. Earl Boykins (unbelievable for his size, no issues so)
161. Shawn B. (unbelievable for his size...)
235. C-Webb (sex yet to be determined)
346. Sheed (deserves more money)
478. Riga Don't (I liked him, still in GS?)

Misfit Mav
02-15-2004, 01:55 AM
Hmmm... I'm glad you started this topic, because I was just thinking of re-evaluating my top ten list given some of the recent shake-ups in the NBA (the emergence of Peja, Lebron's great start, Kobe's big problem, etc.)

I'm basing this list on who I think are the BEST players in the league right now, and not who is having the best season. I'm trying to strike a balance between past performance and current ability, so for example while Reggie Miller may have had one of the best careers of any active player, he's nowhere near the list because of his current ability. On the other hand KG and Peja are not at the top, because although they are having the best seasons, they have not proven that they can perform like this in the play-offs and ultimately go to the finals or get some rings, like Duncan and Shaq.

So here's the list, with brief explanations.

1. Tim Duncan: He's got two rings, and I think he's supplanted Shaq as the big man in the league. He's not as physically over-powering as Shaq, but I think Shaq is fading somewhat, and Duncan's ability to score and defend in the post is second to none. His stats aren't as good as KG's but he's the reigning MVP and Finals MVP, and that puts him at the top for me.

2. Kevin Garnett: The current favorite for MVP. His statistics are far and away the best in the league. He's #1 in rebounds, #4 in scoring, and among the top in assists among forwards. He's one of the best defensive players in the league and can guard any position from shooting guard to center. He's leading the Wolves to one of the top records in the league.

3. Shaquille O'Neal: Still the most physically dominant player in the league. I would have put him at #1 easily for the last couple of years, but I think he may be slipping a bit. His statistics are down significanly (especially scoring, which is 20.8 pg vs. 27.3 for his career), while this is in large part due to the addition of Karl Malone and Gary Payton, I don't think his numbers have been that much better with Karl out. He looks to be gaining back some of the weight he lost, and he's been out several games with various injuries. I still look for him to be an overwhelming force when the play-offs come around, but at this point I'd rather my team be led by Duncan or KG.

4. Tracy McGrady: After the top three, the list gets a little harder. T-Mac may be too high at this spot. Last year he had maybe the best stats in the league, and won the scoring title with 32 point per, which was the most since Michael Jordan in 1993. But his stats are down this year, and his team has the worst record in the league. I put him at number 4 for his individual ability, and the fact that the players under him are having somewhat below-average seasons as well.

5. Jason Kidd: Although his team is on a tear right now, they've had a poor season so far. But I rank Kidd here because he's the best point guard in the game, and he's led the Nets to the Eastern title (whatever that's worth) two years in a row. He leads the league in assists.

6. Dirk Nowitzki: If Dirk was having the kind of season he had last year, I would have ranked him at number 4. His scoring drop is obviously due to the addition of two big-time players at the forward spots, but his shooting percentage is also down, which suggests he's having an off year. My favorite player in the game, I expect him to get back into form come play-off time, when Walker and Jamison will hopefully be better integrated into the team. Many fans around the league would not rank Dirk this high because of his drop in stats, and because a lot of people seem to dislike him and the Mavs. To those people all I have to do is point to his play-off scoring average.

7. Peja Stojakovic: The best shooter in the game, and having the best season behind KG. Will likely still be the best player on the West-Leading Kings when Chris Webber gets back. Still, his game is much more limited than Dirk's (it's mostly great 3-point and mid-range shooting: he can't post, drive, or rebound like Dirk), and it's only been half a season that he's been the best player on his team.

8. Allen Iverson: A lot of people are down on him, and rightfully so, because of his struggling team, terrible shooting percentage, and primadonna antics. But he's been to the finals, won the MVP, and leads the league in scoring. If I want a guy to drop 40 in the play-offs, it would be AI.

9. Kobe Bryant: Probably the toughest player to rank. Like Dirk and Shaq, his scoring is down due to a combination of team additions and below-average play (for him). But unlike those two, he has a rape trial hanging over him and his entire career is in jeopardy. He's also playing tentatively, missing games for dubious reasons, and creating locker room havoc with his fueds with Shaq and contract talks. Despite all this, if he gets off on the rape charge (which he probably will, if recent celebrity trials can be taken as precedent), he will probably come back next year and be the best guard in the league. If he leaves the Lakers, he can kiss his championships good-bye, but will likely have huge statistics.

10. Jermaine O'Neal: Easily the best big man in the East. One of the only guys to average 20/10, and unlike Zach Randolph, he plays great D. His Pacers are the favorites to win the East this year.

Some things I took into consideration: Tim Duncan, Allen Iverson, Shaq and Karl Malone are the only guys in the league that have won the MVP. Tim Duncan and Shaq have won the last 5 NBA Finals MVPs.

Guys who just missed the cut: Yao Ming: already the 2nd best center, and probably the best in a couple of years... LeBron: I almost put him at #10, but he'll be up there soon enough... Paul Pierce: leads the Celtics in almost every category... Stephon Marbury: maybe the second best PG in the league... I probably didn't think of a couple of other guys as well.

ReDIRKulous
02-15-2004, 02:06 AM
Thsi brings up a really interesting point though... why is KG considered for MVP even though the Twolves have a "big three" like the Mavs did last season... that is maybe even doing better statistically than the Mavs big three... yet Dirk was never considered last season?

Shaq Attack2
02-15-2004, 07:00 AM
Originally posted by: ReDIRKulous
Thsi brings up a really interesting point though... why is KG considered for MVP even though the Twolves have a "big three" like the Mavs did last season... that is maybe even doing better statistically than the Mavs big three... yet Dirk was never considered last season?

Because KG is a tremendous defender and Dirk simply is not.

stevie_franchise3
02-15-2004, 08:51 AM
Here's my top 10:

1. Tim Duncan(The best all around player in the game)
2. Kevin Garnett(Plays with heart and desire)
3. Shaquile Oneal(Most dominant)
4. Tracy Mcgrady(Yeah his team is having a bad year but still one of the best)
5. Kobe Bryant(Still tops talent wise but having a subpar year)
6. Chris Webber(Yeah he's hurt but one of the best big men when healthy)
7. Allen Iverson(Best little man in the league)
8. Jason Kidd(Purest point guard in the league)
9. Paul Pierce(Mr clutch in the 4th)
10.Dirk Nowitski(How do you defend him?)

Nash13
02-15-2004, 09:32 AM
Duncan
O'Neal
Garnett
Dirk
Kobe
Peja
Mcgrady
B. Wallace
J. O' Neal
Brand

EDIT-- Human Error.

mary
02-15-2004, 10:03 AM
Nash13, I read stevie's comment differently.

To me he is saying "how does a defender guard Dirk?"

I could be wrong though.

stevie_franchise3
02-15-2004, 11:29 AM
Mary,

You are correct on my assessment of Dirk. At 7'0 and as mobile as he is and how he can handle the rock as a guard how do you defend him?

I would assumed that Nash 13 had something smart to say? I didnt see before the edit but if so now you see, even when I say something good about Dirk or even when I say something good period, some people are quick to personally attack me.

Maxpower, KGveteran where are ya! i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

Mavs Rule
02-15-2004, 12:11 PM
1. KG
2. Duncan
3. Shaq
4. T-mac
5. Kobe
6. Dirk
7. J. O'Neil
8. Kidd
9. Peja
10. Yao

The top six stayed the same from last year except for a swap of Shaq and KG. O'Neil, Peja, and Yao are all new this year to my top ten. Even though Kobe and Dirk are having relatively poor years so far, they still are the fifth and sixth best players in the league overall, and I expect both to substantially lift their games as the playoffs approach. In fact, Dirk has already started lifting if you use the last fifteen games as your guide.

mavs413
02-15-2004, 12:28 PM
1. Tim Duncan
2. Kevin Garnett
3. Shaquille O'Neal
4. Kobe Bryant
5. Tracy McGrady
6. Dirk Nowitzki
7. Jermaine O'Neal
8. Jason Kidd
9. Allen Iverson
10. Shawn Marion

MavsFanFinley
02-15-2004, 02:10 PM
01. Duncan
02. Garnett
03. Shaq
04. McGrady
05. Kobe
06. Kidd
07. Peja
08. Dirk
09. O'Neal
10. AI

Bayliss
02-15-2004, 02:37 PM
The all-nba selections will be intriguing this year. The major stars of last year are all having worse years than last year. The lone exception is Garnett. Kobe hasn't played much this year, and when he has played he has been far from stellar. Shaq hasn't played that much either and hasn't been "great." Paul Pierce is putting up meaningless numbers as the only option for Boston. But even those numbers aren't great. McGrady is scoring but his overall efficiency is down. Dirk is coming on lately but his efficiency is down from last year.

As of right now the All-NBA selections should be:

First Team
Center-Shaq
Forward-Duncan
Forward-KG
Guard-Peja
Guard-Cassell

Second Team
Center-Brad Miller
Forward-Jermaine O'Neal
Forward-Dirk
Guard-McGrady
Guard-Kidd

Third Team
Center-Yao
Forward-Wallace
Forward- Pierce
Guard-AI
Guard-Baron Davis

And those selections are for this year only. Which ios what the all-nba team should be about. Years past contributions should not be considered when judging a yearly contest.

Five-ofan
02-15-2004, 04:09 PM
I am curious what you were smoking when you put wallace as one of the top 10 players in the nba. He is not the best defender in the nba nor is he the second best defender in the nba. Btw Kg is a good defender but he is vastly overrated in that department. He can defend sfs well but has trouble with good pfs or centers and the notion that he can defend pgs is laughable. I watch alot of twolves games and when he switches on a pg he usually gets beat off thew dribble its just everyone leaves it alone because he is a pf and shouldn't be able to stick with a pg. However when the same thing happens with Dirk people say well there is "irk" because that is their respective reputations. Dirk is not as good a defender as kg dont get me wrong but the gap between them is not that huge(dirk is decent Kg is very good as opposed to Dirk is horrible and kg is awesome)
1. Duncan-every coach would love to have him but hates to play against him If the spurs called any team and offered Duncan one for 1 they would get the person they asked for( unless cba prevented it)

2. Garnett-he is still behind duncan because duncan is better on D and Kg can be stopped on O in late game situations slightly more often plus duncan is younger.

3. Dirk-He is the best of the 3 on O and the worst on D. I believe that he will be the next of the three to win a championship.

4. Shaq-Still dominant on both ends if he chooses to be.

5. JO-He is making a push to join the holy trinity of pfs. Only knock is a guy who is purely a post player should not shoot 44%

6. Marbury- As much as I love Nash he is clearly the best pg in the game. Really there is no knock except a lack of playoff success

7. Kobe-Down year but he is still a great player.

8. T-mac-same as Kobe

9. Kirilenko- Best defender in the Nba (wallace isn't close to him on D) Pretty good on O. Reverse Dirk

10. Peja-he is not bird nor are they similar but he is a great shooter and great overall player

Nash13
02-15-2004, 05:27 PM
would assumed that Nash 13 had something smart to say? I didnt see before the edit but if so now you see, even when I say something good about Dirk or even when I say something good period, some people are quick to personally attack me.

I misread what you said. I was wrong, so i corrected it. Get over it.

Just211
02-15-2004, 09:37 PM
1) Timmy
2) KG
3) T-Mac
4) Jermaine O'Neal
5) PeJa
6) ShaQ
7) Dirk
8) Kidd
9) Yao
10) AK47

Jamisonite
02-15-2004, 09:57 PM
1) KG
2) TD
3) Shaq
4) J Oneal
5) Kobe
6) AI
7) Kidd
8) Dirk
9) Yao
10) AK47

I dont see why so many people have Tmac so high...hes a classic underachiever. He plays absolutely no defense and he doesnt really know how to share the rock

Murphy3
02-15-2004, 10:52 PM
I'd have difficulty putting Kidd in the top 7-8...same with AI. Both are more flash than substance although both are top tier players.

MightyToine
02-15-2004, 10:58 PM
Where does Walker rank? Out of curiousity...

Bayliss
02-15-2004, 11:03 PM
Walker is somewhere between 25-30.

OutletPass
02-15-2004, 11:16 PM
I'd have difficulty putting Kidd in the top 7-8...same with AI. Both are more flash than substance although both are top tier players.

Congratulations..you're the first person to make comments about the players WITHOUT VOTING since this was set up. Someone had to beat MightyToine, I guess.

Psychedelic Fuzz
02-15-2004, 11:17 PM
as of right now, the top 10 players in the game are:
1. KG
2. Duncan
3. Jermaine O'Neal
4. Dirk
5. Peja
6. Zach Randolph
7. Cassell
8. Kidd
9. Kirilenko
10. Shaq

MightyToine
02-15-2004, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by: Bayliss
Walker is somewhere between 25-30.

I'll take it. i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

But he's the #1 Point-Forward in the NBA, though. i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

Dirkenstien
02-16-2004, 02:52 AM
1) KG
2) TD
3) Shaq
4) Kidd
5) Kobe
6) J' Oneal
7) Dirk
8) Yao
9) AI
10) AK47

Evilmav2
02-16-2004, 02:59 AM
My rankings are based upon the success of the individual player's teams, and upon those players relative importance to those squads. I'm ignoring some great talents playing on losing teams (McGrady, Brand, etc...), but stats should only carry you so far in any ranking of the 10 "Best" players in the NBA...

1. Tim Duncan
2. Kevin Garnett
3. Shaquille O'Neal
4. Jason Kidd
5. Jermaine O'Neal
6. Dirk Nowitzki
7. Allen Iverson
8. Peja Stojakovic
9. Baron Davis
10. Ben Wallace

OutletPass
02-16-2004, 05:32 AM
Thanks, Big Evill ...that's a good idea behind your picks...

I'll go with:

1. Duncan
2. Garnett
3. Shaq
4. Dirk
5. T-Mac
6. Jermaine (still horribly underrated)
7. Kidd
8. Peja (Sorry, Mavs fans...he really is that good)
9. Yao
10. (This is hard...it could be Ray Allen, Mike Redd, Ak 47, EBrand, or Amare...but it's...)
....Kobe.

kg_veteran
02-16-2004, 09:23 AM
As of right now...

1. Garnett
2. Duncan
3. S. O'Neal
4. Nowitzki
5. J. O'Neal
6. McGrady
7. Kobe
8. Kidd
9. P. Pierce
10. P. Stojakovic

WayOutWest
02-16-2004, 12:51 PM
1.) KG - Best player in the NBA 3 years running. Most skilled and versitile player I've ever seen.
2.) TD - Most effective player in the league 4 years running, very Kareem-like in his game, mannerisms and effectiveness.
3.) Shaq - Most dominant player in the league 5 years running, has had a major drop off the last two years otherwise he'd easily be #1.
MAJOR DROP OFF to #4
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
\/
4.) JO - Plays both sides of the court. Excellent in every aspect of a big-mans game. Needs to mature a bit before he reaches the next level. His head is not always in the game when things don't go his way.
5.) Kidd - Has more of an impact on his teamates than any other player in the league. The Nets have a horrid roster offensively but when Kidd is on they look terrific. Just as good defensively as he is offensively, too bad he can't develop a reliable outside shot.
6.) Dirk - Becomming nearly impossible to guard, once his inside game developes or is utilized more often he will join the top 3 in terms of unguardable. Solid rebounder but needs to get tougher mentally, you can see signs that he's getting there but he needs to be more consistent.
7.) Yao - Already the 2nd best center in the league. There is no weakness in his game. Still needs to develop the mental aspects of the game, i.e. toughness, reading doubles, playing with fouls and banging for position.
8.) Kobe - He's really #4 or #5 but his inconsistency and brain farts this year have dropped him down. Easily the most competive player in the league, only KG and Artest match his intenisity night in and night out. Plays both sides of the ball well and he's the most "clutch" player in the game today.
9.) T-Mac - All the pluses of Kobe with more size and athletic ability. My only issue with him is his weak mental approach to the game. If he was as mentally tough as Kobe he'd be a much better player than Kobe. T-Mac doesn't like to do much but score, doesn't play much D to begin with and when teams double/triple team him he just give up. Big wuss IMO.
10.) AI - Amazing player for his size. Gives it his all on the court, too bad he doesn't in practice. Very tough, gets to the line as much as anybody and really tries on defense, usually in the top 3 in steals, but his size hurts him defensively.

Chiwas
02-16-2004, 03:18 PM
1.- Shaq
2.- Duncan
3.- Garnett
4.- Kobe
5.- O'Neal
6.- Dirk
7.- Ben Wallace
8.- Allen
9.- Carter
10.- Brad Miller

Weird? Well, I guess it's a matter of my today's mood.

MightyToine
02-16-2004, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by: Chiwas
1.- Shaq
2.- Duncan
3.- Garnett
4.- Kobe
5.- O'Neal
6.- Dirk
7.- Ben Wallace
8.- Allen
9.- Carter
10.- Brad Miller

Brad Miller?? i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif

No way is he #10....And No freakin' way he's better than Walker. It's the SYSTEM he's in that makes him better than he really is. i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif

kingrex
02-16-2004, 05:44 PM
1. Duncan
2. Garnett
3. Shaq
4. McGrady
5. Iverson
6. Bryant
7. Yao
8. Nowitzki
9. Jermaine O'Neil
10. Kidd

Chiwas
02-16-2004, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by: MightyToine

Originally posted by: Chiwas
1.- Shaq
2.- Duncan
3.- Garnett
4.- Kobe
5.- O'Neal
6.- Dirk
7.- Ben Wallace
8.- Allen
9.- Carter
10.- Brad Miller

Brad Miller?? i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif

No way is he #10....And No freakin' way he's better than Walker. It's the SYSTEM he's in that makes him better than he really is. i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gifi/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif (i told you it was weird)

You're right (about the system, not about Walker i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif). I like a lot Miller in that system and maybe I should have him higher than my 10th prefered player now. I couldn't isolate the players from their teams: you are making me think....if Garnett played for today's Dallas, would he still be among the top 3? Personally, I don't think so.

Murphy3
02-16-2004, 09:28 PM
OP, there's really no reason to act the way you're acting.

I apologize, I was putting some thought into my list before I actually posted it. However, I was unable to post my information this weekend because I was busy working on my house.

Here's my list:

As of right now...

1. Duncan
2. Garnett
3. S. O'Neal
4. Dirk
5. J. O'Neal
6. Kobe
7. McGrady
8. Kidd
9. Pierce
10. Webber

Honorable Mention
Peja, AK, Yao

WayOutWest
02-16-2004, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by: Murphy3I'd have difficulty putting Kidd in the top 7-8...same with AI. Both are more flash than substance although both are top tier players.

Originally posted by: Murphy3Here's my list:

As of right now...

1. Duncan
2. Garnett
3. S. O'Neal
4. Dirk
5. J. O'Neal
6. Kobe
7. McGrady
8. Kidd
9. Pierce
10. Webber

Honorable Mention
Peja, AK, Yao

One of these guys doesn't know what he's talking about! i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

Jamisonite
02-17-2004, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by: Murphy3

IMHO in order to be a GREAT player you must be able to do more than score and that my friends is something AI and Kidd can do. They are 2 of the best defensive PGs in the league and they both know how to get their team mates involved(if they have a good team around them)....

My knock on TMAC is that a) he plays no defense...b) he is not a leader...c) I can pass better than him...d) he isnt very clutch(if you ask me)

OutletPass
02-17-2004, 11:00 AM
No problem Murph...none at all...I just don't use emoticons all that frequently...(and I probably should) but if you see something from me, just assume that I'm teasing you. I'll apologize for any bruised feelings or misunderstandings on this or any other thread.

To everyone:

I'm going to leave voting open until midnight tonight...I haven't had the time and Sock's playing tonight.

Murphy3
02-17-2004, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by: WayOutWest

Originally posted by: Murphy3I'd have difficulty putting Kidd in the top 7-8...same with AI. Both are more flash than substance although both are top tier players.

Originally posted by: Murphy3Here's my list:

As of right now...

1. Duncan
2. Garnett
3. S. O'Neal
4. Dirk
5. J. O'Neal
6. Kobe
7. McGrady
8. Kidd
9. Pierce
10. Webber

Honorable Mention
Peja, AK, Yao

One of these guys doesn't know what he's talking about! i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

WOW, I said that I'd have difficulty putting either in the top 7-8. And, I did have difficulty bumping Kidd up to the 8 spot over Pierce and Webber. However, with Webber being out all season and with Pierce performing below expectations, I had to bump Kidd out. Trust me, I didn't want to do it.

Murphy3
02-17-2004, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by: Jamisonite

IMHO in order to be a GREAT player you must be able to do more than score and that my friends is something AI and Kidd can do. They are 2 of the best defensive PGs in the league and they both know how to get their team mates involved(if they have a good team around them)....

My knock on TMAC is that a) he plays no defense...b) he is not a leader...c) I can pass better than him...d) he isnt very clutch(if you ask me)

Understandable, Jamisonite. However, I believe that AI and Kidd are such poor shooters that it drags the rest of their game down below McGrady. Sure, they have some other dimensions that outshine certain things that TMac does, but they are very inefficient in others.

NBAFan7
02-18-2004, 03:29 AM
This thread is pure homerism at its best. Based on this year, there's not 1 GM who would rank Dirk in the top 10, and definitely not top 5 in the league based on THIS season. He's having a bad year by his standards, yet some of you guys got him in the top 5? That's pretty hilarious, and I guess guys are right when they say that Mavs fans overrate their players and are huge homers.

KG
Duncan
J O'Neal
Peja
Shaq
Kidd
Cassell
Marbury
Baron Davis
McGrady

Then there's other guys playing better than him too, Pierce, Brand, Brad Miller, etc. Come on guys, I'm sure if this thread was posted on a neutral site, like the realgm boards or hoopsworld, that based on this year most would NOT have Dirk ranked in their top 10, let alone top 5. seriously, top 5? gimme a break guys, that's so funny it was even funnier seeing that most of u had him ranked that high. Its not a coincidence all u guys are Mavs fans and this is a Mavs board. hahaha, this is so funny

Shaq Attack2
02-18-2004, 06:11 AM
Originally posted by: NBAFan7
This thread is pure homerism at its best. Based on this year, there's not 1 GM who would rank Dirk in the top 10, and definitely not top 5 in the league based on THIS season. He's having a bad year by his standards, yet some of you guys got him in the top 5? That's pretty hilarious, and I guess guys are right when they say that Mavs fans overrate their players and are huge homers.

KG
Duncan
J O'Neal
Peja
Shaq
Kidd
Cassell
Marbury
Baron Davis
McGrady

Then there's other guys playing better than him too, Pierce, Brand, Brad Miller, etc. Come on guys, I'm sure if this thread was posted on a neutral site, like the realgm boards or hoopsworld, that based on this year most would NOT have Dirk ranked in their top 10, let alone top 5. seriously, top 5? gimme a break guys, that's so funny it was even funnier seeing that most of u had him ranked that high. Its not a coincidence all u guys are Mavs fans and this is a Mavs board. hahaha, this is so funny

Come on, tell me you're joking? However much you may hate it, there are plenty of GMs who think Dirk is a top 10 player. Just because he hasn't had his standard regular season does not at all mean he's somehow not a top 10 player, especially when there are 30+ freaking games left and the postseason many many weeks away.

Additionally, while Dirk has never been a great defender, the 22-9-3 season he's having isn't exactly awful.

And Peja ranked ahead of Shaq? Sure, and Mark Madsen scores like Wilt Chamberlain.

Just211
02-18-2004, 09:55 AM

KG
Duncan
J O'Neal
Peja
Shaq
Kidd
Cassell
Marbury
Baron Davis
McGrady

NBAfan7, i've never thought dirk wsa top 5, but damn not top 10. your crazy. I know he's not as dominant as most of these guys, and thats why he's not top 5, but he's still far better than Cassell, Marbury, and all the non top 10 guys you named. Also, by your list, do you really think CAssell, marbury, and baron are better than TMac.?

Jamisonite
02-18-2004, 12:15 PM

Originally posted by: Jamisonite

Understandable, Jamisonite. However, I believe that AI and Kidd are such poor shooters that it drags the rest of their game down below McGrady. Sure, they have some other dimensions that outshine certain things that TMac does, but they are very inefficient in others.

The thing that drags AI over TMac is the fact that hes a winner and Tmac simply is not. Tmac has more talent on his team and they have the worst record in the league. Kidd is also a winner. He comes to a dying NJ team and takes em to the finals twice....winning makes u a top player

LRB
02-18-2004, 12:29 PM

KG
Duncan
J O'Neal
Peja
Shaq
Kidd
Cassell
Marbury
Baron Davis
McGrady

I thought that I had hear everything, but I was wrong. I don't see how anyone could honestly say that not one of the 29 GM's in the entire league would place Dirk in their top 10 list of current players. This really sounds like a Troll post to me. Especially the last sentence. Of course on a Mavs board the majority of posters will be Mavs fans. But to label us homers for placing only 1 Mav in the top 10, who just happend to be voted one of the 10 best players last year (2nd team All-NBA) is completely inane.

WayOutWest
02-18-2004, 02:36 PM
Edit: wouldn't want to create an influx us useless trolls.

Murphy3
02-18-2004, 08:14 PM
Jamisonite, I don't think AI will ever be a part of a championship team. He's simply too inefficient and too selfish of a player. You say that McGrady isn't a winner. I say that Iverson might be just about the biggest loser of any player that is considered a 'super-star' in the NBA.

inter1488
02-18-2004, 09:16 PM
1. KG (he has the highest efficienty rating, and has had his team on the top)
2. TD
3. Shaq
4. T-Mac
5. Dirk
6. J-Oneal
7. Kidd
8. Yao
9. Kobe
10. Iverson

Murphy3
02-18-2004, 09:42 PM
Regardless of who I put as #1, Shaq is still tops on my list whenever he truly gets his head into the game.

mary
02-18-2004, 10:19 PM
1. Tim Duncan
2. Kevin Garnett
3. Shaq

I agree with WOW that the drop off between # 3 and # 4 is pretty significant.

4. Dirk
5. T-Mac
6. Jason Kidd
7. J'Oneil
8. Elton Brand
9. Peja
10. Allen Iverson

Webber should be on there somewhere, but I'm tired of living in the past..so he gets an automatic DQ. And maybe Kobe should be in there as well, but I don't think that as of right now he is a top ten player, especially if you consider all the negative intangibles he brings to the table.

Murphy3
02-18-2004, 10:23 PM
KG has definitely elevated his game further beyond any expectations that I had for him.

rasheed_sampson
02-19-2004, 01:27 AM
Best record(kings), highest scorer in the toughest division=peja.

best player, peja

1.peja stojakovic
2.kevin garnet
3.dirk nowitzki
4.tim duncan
5.brad miller
6.craq
6.mcgrady
7.carter
8.nash
9.bibby
10.iverson(overrated imo. put him in the west and his points drop 25%)

Shaq Attack2
02-19-2004, 02:57 AM
Originally posted by: rasheed_sampson

best player, peja

1.peja stojakovic
2.kevin garnet
3.dirk nowitzki
4.tim duncan
5.brad miller
6.craq
6.mcgrady
7.carter
8.nash
9.bibby
10.iverson(overrated imo. put him in the west and his points drop 25%)

Can you spell basketball?

WayOutWest
02-19-2004, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by: rasheed_sampson

best player, peja

Did they move all the California teams to the Mid-West division or just the Kings? LMAO@U! i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

There is no "D" in "Peja Stojakovic" or his GAME, he's NOT even top 10!

Even trolls need love and attention.

NBAFan7
02-23-2004, 02:36 AM
Here it is, I thought someone said these rankings were based on this season. And not 1 GM would put dirk in their top 10, based on the way he has played compared to others who have obviously played at a higher level than he thus far in the season. Its 1 thing to be a homer, but come on guys. If this is being based on this year, no way dirk is top ten IMO. definitely not in front of anyone on my top 10 list. I even left off kobe who recently has showed why when healthy is a legit top 5, not just by his fans but by a lot of fans(rather they admit it or not is another, case in point on here) especially the experts. 1 poster on here said, kobes off the list because of negative intangibles or whatever. What a joke, are we basing this on something other than basketball now? When healthy, KOBE BRYANT IS A TOP 5 PLAYER IN THE NBA, PERIOD. He's now healthy, and he's showing why he deserves to be where he is.

Shaq Attack2
02-23-2004, 05:39 AM
Here it is, I thought someone said these rankings were based on this season. And not 1 GM would put dirk in their top 10, based on the way he has played compared to others who have obviously played at a higher level than he thus far in the season. Its 1 thing to be a homer, but come on guys. If this is being based on this year, no way dirk is top ten IMO. definitely not in front of anyone on my top 10 list. I even left off kobe who recently has showed why when healthy is a legit top 5, not just by his fans but by a lot of fans(rather they admit it or not is another, case in point on here) especially the experts. 1 poster on here said, kobes off the list because of negative intangibles or whatever. What a joke, are we basing this on something other than basketball now? When healthy, KOBE BRYANT IS A TOP 5 PLAYER IN THE NBA, PERIOD. He's now healthy, and he's showing why he deserves to be where he is.

Let me put this simply; you don't know and probably don't watch a lot of NBA basketball.

mary
02-23-2004, 08:48 AM
1 poster on here said, kobes off the list because of negative intangibles or whatever. What a joke, are we basing this on something other than basketball now? When healthy, KOBE BRYANT IS A TOP 5 PLAYER IN THE NBA, PERIOD. He's now healthy, and he's showing why he deserves to be where he is.

I also admitted he should probably be on there - I guess I'd have a hard time arguing that Elton Brand is a better basketball player than Kobe (but if given the choice, I'd take Brand). But TOP FIVE? I can't honestly say there are five players on my list I would NOT pick over Kobe Bryant now - two..maybe three tops.

He's the "Leon" of basketball.

Edited to add: BTW, anyone who has the nerve to put Peja in front of Shaq, has no business criticizing someone else's Top Ten List.

Shaq Attack2
02-23-2004, 10:08 AM

Who's Leon?

mary
02-23-2004, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by: Shaq Attack2

Who's Leon?

From the commercials...ya know..."Ain't no "we" in team?"

LRB
02-23-2004, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by: mary

Originally posted by: Shaq Attack2

Who's Leon?

From the commercials...ya know..."Ain't no "we" in team?"

LOL, Mary. You sure hit the nail on the head with this one.

Nash13
02-23-2004, 01:04 PM

You've been knocking on Dirk ever since you've joined this board. You've done more of defending why Dirk shouldn't be on the list than actually defending the people you have on yours. It's quite obvious you're just looking for an argument.

How do you have Kobe on your list, and not Dirk? He's been injured longer, and hasn't had a better season than Dirk. I'm glad you're not a real GM.

Jamisonite
02-23-2004, 01:06 PM
Rasheed you need to cut some of those pictures outta ur signature...takes too much time for some people to load