PDA

View Full Version : Civil War on Laker Board

Mavs Rule
02-16-2004, 08:14 PM
After the ASG I thought I would head over to Lakersground to see whats up. To my amusement I stumbled upon a war going on over there. There are three camps: The Kobe-Jockers, the Shaq-Jockers, and the true Laker fans. The board has devolved into something that reflects the team's devolvement since the injuries, Kobe's legal problems, continual fighting going on through the media between Shaq and Kobe (lately involving Jackson), etc.

This particular thread (http://forums.lakersground.net/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=55483&forum=1&start=0) really demonstrates the war. The Kobe-Jockers are having a hard time dealing with Shaq winning the MVP of the ASG. Some say he should have been co-MVP with Kobe. Then they are really pissed that Shaq did not even mention Kobe when he named KG and AI during his acceptance speech. Funny how people can get so hacked about the little things.

I hope that our board never gets to this point. The fact that all of our players get along well almost asures that it never will. ITS GOOD TO BE A MAVERICK FAN!!

Nash13
02-16-2004, 08:37 PM
Mavs Rule, that type of thing happens here, just not as cut and dry as the Lakerboard. We have biased Dirk/Walker/Finley/Jamison posters on this board. We're just a little more civil than the Lakerboard.

Shaq Attack2
02-16-2004, 09:23 PM
LG.net is particularly bad, partly as a direct result of bad mods who honestly believe they know something about basketball, and partially as a result of bandwagon Laker fans that plague message boards nowadays.

However, LG.net isn't the only Laker board that erupts with Shaq v. Kobe threads, great Laker boards like Lakerstalk.com also erupt occasionally. Most of it is Shaq's egotistical personality, he's just incredibly difficult to deal with as a teammate. But Kobe isn't without blame either, he certainly doesn't have an undersized ego. Unfortunately, you'll get plenty of "Lakers" fans claiming that Kobe is totally without blame for the current civil war that epitomizes current Laker boards. In fact, you'll literally get fans that claim Kobe's trial hasn't effected the Lakers this season at all. Yeah, it's getting that bad.

And no, dallas-mavs.com forums and most other Spurs, Mavs, Twolves, etc. boards aren't nearly as bad as Laker boards are getting due to the Shaq-Kobe-Phil problems.

MightyToine
02-16-2004, 09:58 PM
Last year, I had a couple tanks, a couple grenades. Now I got atomic weapons, Im going nuclear. Im Colin Powell, and I can drop the bomb anytime I want to.

And NOW Shaq is left with only a BB-Gun in his arsenal. i/expressions/rolleye.gif

Murphy3
02-16-2004, 10:18 PM
It doesn't occur as much on the Mavs board because few question that Dirk is the best player on the team. Some Lakers' fans actually believe that Kobe is the better player, so it leads to the constant kobe vs shaq debates.

Shaq Attack2
02-16-2004, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by: Murphy3
It doesn't occur as much on the Mavs board because few question that Dirk is the best player on the team. Some Lakers' fans actually believe that Kobe is the better player, so it leads to the constant kobe vs shaq debates.

Kobe is more talented, but not yet the better player. Unfortunately, if I were to start a thread like that on any Laker board, I'd get flamed to no end.

TheBaron
02-16-2004, 10:23 PM
Dirk is the best player on the team? I dont think so. He's a 7footer for the new millenium but he's not the best player on the team.

All Im saying is that its up to debate and I onestly don't believe that he's the best.

TheBaron
02-16-2004, 10:24 PM
Kobe is more talented, but not yet the better player. Unfortunately, if I were to start a thread like that on any Laker board, I'd get flamed to no end.

well welcome to D-M.com. It's not perfect but at least its open (I hope).

I just dont know a horrible amount about the argument so I just wouldnt contribute.

SaltwaterChaffy
02-16-2004, 11:30 PM
Not to get too far off topic, but who do you think is the best player on the team, Baron?

TheBaron
02-16-2004, 11:32 PM
Steve Nash. He's not the hardest to replace but he's the most talented. He has incredible ball handling, he's sneaky, he's fast and he has court vision like only an elite 20-25 players in the league has ever had. He's in a slump this year but he's also one of (if not the) best jumpshooting PG in the game. He's also one fo a very few players in the game that can make his teammates substantially better.

Nowitzki has incredible ball handling for his height. He's a good jump shooter. He's an underrated rebounder, but his skills aren't really as developed as Finley or Nash. He would be impossible to replace because of his height and his grounding and he is phenomenal but a lot of what makes Nowitzki himself isnt his skill.

I dont mean to be controversial- my point was that there were dissenting opinions on this board as well as the Laker board.

bernardos70
02-17-2004, 12:09 AM
Insanity! Guess you didn't watch the supersonics-mavs game! There's not that many players out there that ever hit 8 three pointers in a row in a single game.

TheBaron
02-17-2004, 01:14 AM
I did watch that game.

Shaq Attack2
02-17-2004, 03:32 AM
Steve Nash.

While I don't think he's the better player compared to Dirk, I have to agree that his importance can never be underestimated on this Mavs team. He drives the Mavs, and losing him is like losing Peja in Sacto or Kobe in LA.

Rod1975
02-17-2004, 03:59 AM
Originally posted by: TheBaron
Steve Nash. He's not the hardest to replace but he's the most talented. He has incredible ball handling, he's sneaky, he's fast and he has court vision like only an elite 20-25 players in the league has ever had. He's in a slump this year but he's also one of (if not the) best jumpshooting PG in the game. He's also one fo a very few players in the game that can make his teammates substantially better.

Nowitzki has incredible ball handling for his height. He's a good jump shooter. He's an underrated rebounder, but his skills aren't really as developed as Finley or Nash. He would be impossible to replace because of his height and his grounding and he is phenomenal but a lot of what makes Nowitzki himself isnt his skill.

I dont mean to be controversial- my point was that there were dissenting opinions on this board as well as the Laker board.

Although I love Stevie Wonder, he's the #2 guy on this team. True, Nash is a valuable player, not easily replaced and invaluable to this team. Dirk however, is a player that defies position and tradition. First off, how many players out there get 20 points and 9 boards a game currently? Lemme help you, 7 (a healthy C-Webb probably makes 8). And of all those players guess how many are legitimate perimeter threats as well? Two....Dirk and Garnett(sort of).
Dirk is THE most offensively versatile 7 footer in the history of the NBA. I dare anyone to refute that.
There is nothing Finley can do that Dirk can't do, so to say that Dirk is'nt as skilled as Finley is just plain inaccurate. In fact, Dirk definitely has a better handle than Finley and gets to the basket more.

Ok, so why is'nt Nash #1?
Well, it is'nt quite the most objective of points, but here goes.
Dirk's type of player is alot more rare than Steve's type of player. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Steve is a dime-a-dozen player, he's definitely in the top 6 among PGs. Great point guards are hard to find, and we have one here in Dallas.
However, as much as it pains me to say it, there are at least 10 players in the league that could average 8 assists on this team.
Nash has nestled in very well as a leader on this team, he's a scorer when needed, and a playmaker. He has a better assist to turnover ratio than Kidd, Payton, Cassell, Marbury, and Baron Davis. He is also absolutely invaluable to the chemistry of this team.

But

There are at least 4 PGs in the league that could do Steve's job given the appropriate adjustment time. Now that's a cold hard fact that I hate, but I believe it to be the truth.

There are only 2 players (sort of) in the league that can do what Dirk does. Talent really has nothing to do with it, it's results that matter.

The one and only thing Dirk lacks IMO, is the Larry Joe Micheal Jeffrey Earvin Magic killer instinct. But so do 99.99% of basketball players, so it's not all bad.

p.s. oh and since this is a Lakers thread......F the Lakers, or should I say the Flakers.

Shaq Attack2
02-17-2004, 04:04 AM
Dirk is THE most offensively versatile 7 footer in the history of the NBA. I dare anyone to refute that.

Please tell me you're joking? He's up there, but all time? Do guys like KG or Duncan in the modern era or Jabbar and Wilt a few decades ago ring any bells?

Max Power
02-17-2004, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by: Shaq Attack2

Please tell me you're joking? He's up there, but all time? Do guys like KG or Duncan in the modern era or Jabbar and Wilt a few decades ago ring any bells?

Versatile is a lack of narrow focus. Versatile means Dirk can do everything well. KG, Duncan, Jabbar, and Wilt are/were better players in select areas but not in general versatility. For example - none of those players are good 3 point shooters except Dirk.

Nash13
02-17-2004, 12:37 PM
There's not that many players out there that ever hit 8 three pointers in a row in a single game.

And neither did Dirk. He made 8 threes on the night, but didn't hit 8 threes in a row. But i do think Dirk is the best player on this team.

Murphy3
02-17-2004, 12:41 PM
Nash is obviously very important but there's really no debating who the best player on the Mavs is.

thebac
02-17-2004, 12:57 PM
Well, about 2 to 2 1/2 years ago there was a very livid debate at d-m.com about whether Dirk or Fin was the best player.

Now, however, I don't see how anyone could argue that Dirk is NOT the best player on the Mavs (even though KG might still be the more versatile player).

bernardos70
02-17-2004, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by: Nash13

There's not that many players out there that ever hit 8 three pointers in a row in a single game.

And neither did Dirk. He made 8 threes on the night, but didn't hit 8 threes in a row. But i do think Dirk is the best player on this team.

Sorry, he hit 7 in a row and then one more in the last 4.

That lakers thread is making lakers fans look really bad.....

TripleDipping
02-18-2004, 11:04 AM

"Versatile" is a relative term I think... Dirk is indeed the most versatile offensive 7-footer in the game.
Defensively? Let's not go there.