PDA

View Full Version : Is this the game we became fans of?

Richard
02-19-2004, 11:08 AM
The rookie game, bore feint resemblance to the game (most ?) of us became fans of. West walked out. Bravo for him.

But, I have even larger concerns about the NBA "game" today. I hear on the radio, and presume two national reporters know what they saw, that Gary Payton tried to bite somebody in a game last night?! I know for sure the "fans" gave the reward that is the allstar game to an accused rapist.

I am seriously starting to get the feeling that I am in the stands at an NBA game and wake up to the fact that I'm really at a chicken fight. I look around and those around me are rednecks screaming for real blood and dead chickens. Or maybe its like looking around and seeing everyone else looks like a gangster that is yelling at a guy with tattoos who is rolling dice. Millions vote for a guy accused of rape. Drugs and federal felonies warrant only 8 games. Players trying to bite players on the court. Fans and a league that want to make excuses for guys behaving like that. It just makes me wonder if I'm with the crowd I want to be in. (Mav fans and you guys, excluded, honestly, because this club is almost the sole exception to the rule, now days).

The game and the Bryants and the Webbers and now even the Paytons simply don't have the character, class and purposes of the guys who made me a fan of the pro basketball and the game is more mud wrestling and intimidation than skill and athletic ability.

Stop and think about it. While sounding a bit like an all "homer" how many teams in the league have good guys who play a fun game to watch reminiscent of the game most of us fell in love with? The Mavs and...? Some good players here and there. Some teams here and there. But how many teams have both, without at least one guy you wouldn't have in your house around your kids for any reason? And this is what we are "fans" of?

A politician who was being questioned about his choice to change parties once said: "I did not leave my party, my party left me." I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm beginning to come to the distinct impression that my game has left me.

chumdawg
02-19-2004, 11:19 AM
I'm quite happy being a Mavs fan, but I bet I also could pretty excited if I were living in Sacramento, Denver, or Memphis for starters. Can't think of much you would want to say bad about San Antonio. Heck, they might have been the best representatives of the things you talk about, especially when they had the Admiral. I think Utah fans have to be pretty pleased with their product, too.

I think there's a lot of good in the NBA, and maybe you are letting a few bad apples ruin it all for you. And don't read too much into that Payton thing. The replay I saw was questionable at least. And while I don't know everything about that guy, I've always respected him.

Hate the player, big Richard, not the game!

Richard
02-19-2004, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by: chumdawg
I'm quite happy being a Mavs fan, but I bet I also could pretty excited if I were living in Sacramento, Denver, or Memphis for starters. Can't think of much you would want to say bad about San Antonio. Heck, they might have been the best representatives of the things you talk about, especially when they had the Admiral. I think Utah fans have to be pretty pleased with their product, too.

I think there's a lot of good in the NBA, and maybe you are letting a few bad apples ruin it all for you. And don't read too much into that Payton thing. The replay I saw was questionable at least. And while I don't know everything about that guy, I've always respected him.

Hate the player, big Richard, not the game!

Excellent points. Thanks for the encouragement, really. But, where its not the players nowdays, its seems to be the game. San Antonio. Great guys. But, if Pop had his way he'd win every game75-65 (yawn). Sac, nice game, would rather root for cancer than their best highest paid player, Webber. Mepmphis and Jerry West say old school, that's pretty much the point.Ditto Utah. And, even with Utah, when you have to use a team in major re-builing mode as one of the few teams a fan can point to with pride, what does that say about the rest of the league? Only the vast minority of teams that can be thought of as old school seem to be worhty of fan support, from, dare I say it, any self-respecting fan? Honestly, in the company of most NBA fans in other cities, they would just hoot down my ideas and concerns here and just go right on with business as usual (Yeah Kobe, Webber, murders, molesters, dopers!)

They say we're judged by the company we keep. And most of the rest of the fans around the league aren't making me feel too comfortable!

dirno2000
02-19-2004, 12:07 PM
The rookie game was a travesty and the league needs to do something about it. My suggestion was that the throw in about five grand for the winning team. I can't imagine that Stern was happy with it and I'm sure he'll address it.

Should Kobe have been voted as an All-Star starter? Well, he is innocent until proven guilty. It doesn't hurt that his high dollar lawyers have done such a good job of smearing the reputation of the alleged victim before the case even goes to trial. Because of that, I would venture so say that most people don't think Kobe rapped her. I would also assert that his being voted an All-Star starter is more of a societal problem than a basketball problem. People rarely get outraged anymore.

Can't comment on the Payton situation specifically since I didn't see it. I can say that the NBA is less violent now than I can ever remember it being. Back in the 80's and early 90's, bench-clearing brawls with actual punches weren’t unusual. With the stiff penalties that have been imposed, they're pretty rare now.

Webber got five games for testing positive for marijuana, but that wasn't even a banned substance until a few years ago. Felony conviction didn't come with a mandatory suspension until recently. My point is that you can't control what your players do, but the league is doing more than ever to make sure bad deeds go punished.

I do think the style of play could be cleaned up. It would sure help the Mavs as currently constituted.