PDA

View Full Version : Shaq being sued for backing out of charity event

Psychedelic Fuzz
02-21-2004, 11:09 PM
Associated Press
ORLANDO, Fla. -- Shaquille O'Neal is being sued by a Tampa Bay promotions company for allegedly reneging on an agreement to participate in charity events.

Paramount Celebrity Management filed suit Friday in Orange County Circuit Court for more than $5.6 million.

"Had he showed, this would've been an annual event," Robert N. Reynolds, the attorney representing Paramount, said Saturday.

Messages left with O'Neal's representatives in Los Angeles were not returned Saturday. The Lakers refer non-basketball inquiries to the player's representatives.

At the time, O'Neal's representatives told the Lakers he was hospitalized in Orlando with a 103-degree temperature the night before the events began.

This is the second suit filed against O'Neal this month. A Daytona Beach Harley-Davidson dealership claims O'Neal refused to pay for a custom-made motorcycle.

TheBaron
02-22-2004, 02:04 AM
He's a classy guy. What can I say?

Simon2
02-23-2004, 09:27 AM
This is the second suit filed against O'Neal this month. A Daytona Beach Harley-Davidson dealership claims O'Neal refused to pay for a custom-made motorcycle.

Don't understand this one. Anyone have more detail. Seems silly though for a man with so much money to dispute a mere motorcycle.

LRB
02-23-2004, 10:17 AM
It's a crummy thing to back out of a charity event without a good excuse. Being sick with 103 degree temperature it true woudl be a good excuse IMO. But even if it's made up, I don't think he should be sued unless he was getting some sort of compensation from the promoters. It would be a totally classless thing to promise to attend a charity event and then backout for selfish reasons, but shouldn't make someone liable.

thebac
02-23-2004, 12:57 PM
Agree, LRB. I'm no big fan of Shaq, but as I remember it from last year, it seemed like a viable reason. Also, if charities start suing players for not showing up, star athletes (and other entertainers) will cut back on charity work soon, doing just the bare minimum--why expose yourself to legal liabilities?

LRB
02-23-2004, 01:22 PM
Also, if charities start suing players for not showing up, star athletes (and other entertainers) will cut back on charity work soon, doing just the bare minimum--why expose yourself to legal liabilities?

Those were exactly my fears. I'm no big fan of Shaq either, but in the sake of fairness and especially for the sake of charities everywhere I hope that this suit gets thrown out. Just imagine people being afraid to commit to help charities for fear they could be sued if something came up to prevent them from keeping their commitments.

Drbio
02-23-2004, 02:20 PM
Good point thebac!

captain_kingsfan
02-24-2004, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by: LRB
It's a crummy thing to back out of a charity event without a good excuse. Being sick with 103 degree temperature it true woudl be a good excuse IMO. But even if it's made up, I don't think he should be sued unless he was getting some sort of compensation from the promoters. It would be a totally classless thing to promise to attend a charity event and then backout for selfish reasons, but shouldn't make someone liable.

I think it's moreso that the promoters were getting compensation off Shaq being there. If he promised to commit and the charity sold tickets advertising a charity dinner/game/event/whatever featuring Shaquille O'Neal, and he didn't show up, then that makes them look bad because it seems as thought they falsely claimed that he'd be there when he wasn't.