PDA

View Full Version : Maybe Dallas Should Pick This Guy Up

SaltwaterChaffy
02-22-2004, 08:59 PM
By Joe Lago
ESPN.com

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- The win streak suddenly has a life of its own.

Not Lawrence Frank's record-setting 12-gamer to start a coaching career, or the New Jersey Nets' franchise-best 13-in-a-row run. We're talking about the number of consecutive victories Hubert Davis has witnessed.

His streak is at 25 and counting.

"It's not me," Davis shrugged.

Whatever the reason -- and wherever he's been the last two months -- Davis' teams have been unbeatable.

The 12-year veteran and former Knick was a member of the Pistons when they won 13 straight from late December to mid-January. He didn't suit up in any of the games, though, spending the entire time on the injured list, and Detroit ended up waiving him on Jan. 20. That night, the Pistons lost to Indiana.

Six days later, the Nets picked up Davis on a 10-day contract. That also happened to be the day Frank replaced Byron Scott as interim head coach. Since then, the two have experienced nothing but victories in their new positions with the Nets.

"He's our good luck rabbit," Jason Kidd said.

Davis, a career 44-percent shooter on 3-pointers, was signed by the Nets to give them some much-needed outside shooting. But in Saturday's 97-84 win over New Orleans, Davis found himself in the unfamiliar position of backup point guard and defensive stopper.

Hubert Davis has been on a winning team for 25 straight games.
His line in the boxscore listed only one assist and one personal foul, but his eight minutes were productive in Kidd's eyes.

"He did a wonderful job taking care of the ball and running the offense," Kidd said.

"I was just thankful to be on the court," said Davis, who got time as Kidd's backup because rookie point guard Zoran Planinic played poorly in Friday's win at Toronto. "I'm going to try to help the team any way I can. ... It's unbelievable to be on a team like this."

Even more amazing was the fact Davis was sent out there to defend Hornets All-Star Baron Davis and the super quick Darrell Armstrong.

"Whatever they want me to be," said the 33-year-old Davis, "I'll take it."

"He was put in a real tough spot because Darrell and Baron really pressure the ball," said Frank, who'll use Davis in that unusual role depending on matchups. "Hubert showed his skills as a combo guard. [He's] new to the system and really deserves a lot of credit."

Davis hasn't tasted defeat since the day after Christmas. And you won't believe who Detroit lost to, either.

"The Nets beat us," Davis said.

Joe Lago is the NBA editor at ESPN.com.

TheBaron
02-22-2004, 10:09 PM
I dont think New Jersey is offering him (Davis) and I can't see how he is responsible for the success. He could be an Avery Johnson type who affects the team positively without playing but with all the bad blood, I think scapegoating Scott and then getting rid of him did more for the team.

As far as letting Frank get the credit, getting rid of Scott was probably the bigger issue for the Nets who are sighing after his absense. If he can handle trades and keep the team motivated I'll be impressed but he really is one of the laxest coaches out there who only a few days ago took over Byron Scott's NBA Finals team.

MightyToine
02-22-2004, 11:43 PM
This kind of reminds me of the Celtics situation involving Pitino and O'brien.

Pitino left, Obie took over and the entire franchise was resurrected for 2 GLORIOUS Seasons....

.....then along came Danny Ainge.....

|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
V
SPLAT goes the Celtics!

SaltwaterChaffy
02-23-2004, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by: TheBaron
I dont think New Jersey is offering him (Davis) and I can't see how he is responsible for the success. He could be an Avery Johnson type who affects the team positively without playing but with all the bad blood, I think scapegoating Scott and then getting rid of him did more for the team.

As far as letting Frank get the credit, getting rid of Scott was probably the bigger issue for the Nets who are sighing after his absense. If he can handle trades and keep the team motivated I'll be impressed but he really is one of the laxest coaches out there who only a few days ago took over Byron Scott's NBA Finals team.

Baron, it was more of a joke. I don't think we can actually get him.