PDA

View Full Version : Mavs' owner Cuban to host reality TV show on ABC

bernardos70
02-25-2004, 02:46 PM
February 24, 2004

DALLAS (AP) -- Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban will give away $1 million of his own money this summer as host of a reality TV show called ``The Benefactor.''

About 30 contestants will compete on the six-episode series for the billionaire's cash on ABC-TV.

``Everyone has dreamed of getting rich, and I want to help one lucky person get there,'' Cuban said Tuesday.

He said the show won't be a traditional contest.

``You don't need special talents,'' he said. ``I'm not looking to find out who is the grossest, funniest, prettiest, smartest or able to go without food or water the longest.

``The right person is going to get on my good side at the right time, and whoever that is, is going to walk away with a check from me for $1 million.''

Cuban has grown accustomed to giving away his money in recent years: He's been fined repeatedly by the NBA since buying the Mavericks in January 2000, mostly for criticizing referees. The penalties totaled more than $1 million.

The largest fine was $500,000 for saying he wouldn't hire the NBA's head of officials to manage a Dairy Queen. Cuban later poked fun at himself by working behind the counter of an ice cream shop, serving cones.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylc=X3oDMTBpZmFlcXBpBF9TAzk1ODYxOTQ4BHNlYwN0 aA--?slug=ap-mavericks-cuban-realitytv&prov=ap&type=lgns