PDA

View Full Version : Fakers at Nuggets

grndmstr_c
02-25-2004, 10:33 PM
Wow. Nugz just got royally screwed. Less than 30 seconds left and the Nuggets have to inbound the ball with 2 sec left on the shot clock, up by two. They get the ball in and get off a shot in time. Shot's no good but it hits the rim as the shot clock expires and bounces right into Melo's hands underneath the basket for what should be an easy putback. Right after Melo gets the ball an out of position ref blows his whistle and signals a shot clock violation - clearly a horrendous call. The refs rule an inadvertant whistle and a jump ball, which Shaq wins. Fakers then run down the clock and Rush nails a three with just a few seconds left to steal the game.

DwD
02-25-2004, 10:40 PM
I agree, grndmstr_c - that was highway robbery in Denver. It was obvious the shot hit the rim, but the Lakers got the benefit of the call anyways. Of course, I think Denver could still have won it, but that is another story.

grndmstr_c
02-25-2004, 10:45 PM
No doubt. Teams still have to make their own luck, and Denver had plenty of missed fta's and careless TO's. Without those the refs wouldn't have mattered, but it's really a shame to see close games, ie., the best games, get shat upon like that. Not to mention an LA loss would've been nice from a Mavs perspective.

FreshJive
02-26-2004, 10:20 AM
I didn't see the game but, why is it a jump ball when Denver had posession of the ball? Anytime a ref accidently blows the whistle it automatically becomes a jump ball? It seems to me this should only be a jump ball when the ball is loose at the time of the whistle.

DwD
02-26-2004, 10:43 AM
I agree, FreshJive - it seemed pretty ridiculous to make it a jumpball instead giving it back to Denver. It hink Denver would have definitely won if they got possession.

Jamisonite
02-26-2004, 11:34 AM
I tell you whats horrendous...not the call...but the fact that the Nuggets let them even come back

DwD
02-26-2004, 12:01 PM
True, Jamisonite - Denver could have still had the game if they didn't just leave Kareem Rush open at the 3-pt line with the shot clock winding down. If they could just shut that opportunity down...24 seconds worth of defense could have given the game inspite of the horrible officiating. It is unfortunate they couldn't manage that.

WayOutWest
02-26-2004, 01:07 PM
I agree the officiating was horrible, I'm surprised the Lakers were able to overcome the home cooking.

The wistle had actually been blown to call goal tending because Kobe touched the ball on the rim but it was a bad call cause the halfe ball was UNDER and in front of the rim when Kobe touched it. The rules say something about the ball having a chance to go in and that shot clearly didn't. One ref was signaling a 24 shot clock violation as well and the other, who blew the whistle, was calling goal tending. Instead of saying they made a mistake on both calls they just pulled out the inadvertant whistle card. Even the announcers couldnt' beleive the refs wouldn't just admit their mistake. I can't beleive the Lakers came back, I actually tunned out with less than a minute cause it looked like it was over with Melo getting an "and 1" just before commercial. I tunned back to catch the two possesions.

I couldn't believe how many non-calls went against Kobe. Camby was clearly and blatently shoving Kobe in the back on layups but no call, what a joke the refs where that night, props to the Lakers for playing above the BS!

Chicago JK
02-26-2004, 02:05 PM
I agree...terrible call by the refs.

The Lakers look like they are starting to come together also. Kobe is starting to play like the Kobe of old. He still doesn't have all of his explosiveness back but his quickness seems to be back. The Lakers are also finding some quality depth that will only help come playoff time. I will be surprised if they don't go on a hot streak here until the end of the year.

Chicago JK
02-26-2004, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by: WayOutWest
I agree the officiating was horrible, I'm surprised the Lakers were able to overcome the home cooking.

The wistle had actually been blown to call goal tending because Kobe touched the ball on the rim but it was a bad call cause the halfe ball was UNDER and in front of the rim when Kobe touched it. The rules say something about the ball having a chance to go in and that shot clearly didn't. One ref was signaling a 24 shot clock violation as well and the other, who blew the whistle, was calling goal tending. Instead of saying they made a mistake on both calls they just pulled out the inadvertant whistle card. Even the announcers couldnt' beleive the refs wouldn't just admit their mistake. I can't beleive the Lakers came back, I actually tunned out with less than a minute cause it looked like it was over with Melo getting an "and 1" just before commercial. I tunned back to catch the two possesions.

I couldn't believe how many non-calls went against Kobe. Camby was clearly and blatently shoving Kobe in the back on layups but no call, what a joke the refs where that night, props to the Lakers for playing above the BS!

wow.... Way out west. I didn't see the game, but I find it funny when Laker fans are complaining about the refs. I am not a big fan of hardly ever putting the blame on refs, but I would say the Lakers get the majority of the calls in most questionable cases. Sure Shaq gets held and grabbed all game long, but he delivers just as many blows.

grndmstr_c
02-26-2004, 04:35 PM
This link's for you, WOW (and anybody else who can't believe that the NBA would actually admit that they screwed up).

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/basketball/nba/02/26/bc.bkn.nba.officiatinge.ap/index.html

mary
02-26-2004, 05:19 PM
Stu Jackson's official response

NBA Statement Regarding Officiating Error

NEW YORK, Feb. 26 –- The following statement was issued by Stu Jackson, NBA Senior Vice President, Basketball Operations, in regard to an officiating error during the Los Angeles Lakers-Denver Nuggets game on Feb. 25 at the Pepsi Center:

"In last night’s Lakers-Nuggets game, official Michael Henderson stopped play by blowing his whistle to signal a 24-second shot clock violation with 27.4 seconds remaining in the fourth quarter. That call was incorrect because the ball, in fact, hit the rim. Once play was stopped, the game officials made the correct ruling by resuming play with a jump ball at midcourt. This was an unfortunate call at a highly critical point in the game, and we very much regret the error."

mary
02-26-2004, 05:25 PM
wow.... Way out west. I didn't see the game, but I find it funny when Laker fans are complaining about the refs.

I'll follow the game threads over at LakersTalk every once in a while. They usually read something like this:

Kobe drives in for a layup..fouled.
No call.

Kobe 18 ft jumper..fouled.
No call.

(insert opposing player's name) travelled.
No call.

I swear, they are some of the whiniest fans on the planet.

(present company excluded i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif )

WayOutWest
02-26-2004, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by: mary

wow.... Way out west. I didn't see the game, but I find it funny when Laker fans are complaining about the refs.

I'll follow the game threads over at LakersTalk every once in a while. They usually read something like this:

Kobe drives in for a layup..fouled.
No call.

Kobe 18 ft jumper..fouled.
No call.

(insert opposing player's name) travelled.
No call.

(present company excluded i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif )

LOL! I've seen those as well. Just went over the 4th quarter again. I'd say one major blown call against Camby pushing Kobe in the back on a layup. The other are your typical missed-calls, but Carmelo was getting Kobeish style love from the refs on both ends. The call everyone is talking about was called a 24 second violation, the ref that blew the whistle was touching the top off his head and not making the goal tending call, that was a major break for the Lakers.

I'll make sure to re-start sending my monthly payments to the NBA ref's fund ASAP. I had stop making payments cause we weren't getting enough calls before the all-star break.

Shaq Attack2
02-27-2004, 03:19 AM

Sadly, having been a Laker for more than 10 years and a basketball fan for longer, I'd have to concur.

Big Boy Laroux
02-27-2004, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by: Shaq Attack2

Sadly, having been a Laker fan for just about 4 years and a basketball fan for longer, I'd have to concur.

hey shaq attack, i think the above is what you meant to say... i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif