PDA

View Full Version : The Real MVP

ddh33
02-27-2004, 02:14 AM
This might be able to go in the Mavs section, but I'll put it here...

Most people seem to feel like this is Kevin Garnett's year to win the MVP. Certainly, he is a great player and excellent candidate. In fact, I would have no problem if he won it. He deserves the recognition. He's having a great season, and his team seems to be heading toward heights they have never experienced before.

But in case you were wondering who the real Most Valuable Player in the league is, all you had to do was watch tonight's Mavs/Spurs game. Dallas really seemed to be in control the entire game. They were just clicking, but SA was hanging around until Duncan went out. Of course, everyone knows what happened next. The Mavs blew it wide open.

Just look at the rosters and you realize why Duncan is the real MVP. There's not a whole lot of talent there. They have a team full of role players that completely rely on him - and I mean COMPLETELY. Without Duncan, they can't defend, rebound, pass, or get open shots. Without Duncan, that team is fighting for one of the worst records in the league.

I know Garnett used to be in the same shape. But right now, Minny has Cassell, Spree, Szcerbiak, Hudson, Olowakandi, and others. They are simply superior in talent and depth to SA, but their records are very close. Duncan makes that much difference. Without KG, Minny doesn't make the playoffs either, but they are competitive. Without Duncan, SA is in deep trouble.

As for the Duncan injury, I hope it isn't serious...

bernardos70
02-27-2004, 02:44 AM
I agree that Duncan is more valuable to his team than any other single player is to his respective team. Duncan is the team. Greg Popovich said exactly this after the game. The team is Duncan plus a whole bunch of role players. Other teams contending for a title all have more than just one player which can carry the team. Just look at Sacramento. Garnett has Sprewell and Cassell now to back him up. Duncan basically won the NBA title last year by himself. Garnett already showed that he can't do that. That's not to say he's bad, but he's just not that good to win an NBA title playing alongside a bunch of scrubs, rookies, etc. like Duncan did.

grndmstr_c
02-27-2004, 04:37 AM
I've thought for most of this year that KG probably was most deserving of the MVP award, if not because he could have, perhaps even should have won it last year, then because nobody has put up stats like his, and, outside of the Kings, nobody's team has been winning like his. However, I have no illusions that no other team depends on one player the way SA depends on TD. Unlike many Kings fans I have really avoided any discussion of how Dallas losing Dirk and Bradley impacted the outcome of the WCF. There are two reasons for this. One is that I like to think that I have a little more pride and self-respect than to go whining around all over the internet. The other, however, is that I came away from that series with SA so impressed with TD that I would consider it an insult to the game not to give him every bit of credit he deserves for carrying his team to a championship last year. He's very simply the best player in the game.

Hitman
02-27-2004, 07:52 AM
Duncan is the best player in the league.

And it really isn't that close.

Big Boy Laroux
02-27-2004, 08:42 AM
of course duncan is more important to his team. but does that make him MVP of the league? i'd have to say that this year, it better be KG. he has been a beast. sure, he has help now, and that's part of the reason they're winning, but he is really feeling the benefit of not being doubled all the time (yes, i realize duncan gets doubled all the time).

kg_veteran
02-27-2004, 09:46 AM
I'd agree that Duncan is probably the MVP every year the way the Spurs are constructed, but I have no problem with Garnett winning the award this year. He's certainly been the best player in the league this year.

Jamisonite
02-27-2004, 10:24 AM
Im not so sure about TD being better than KG...but ill give you that for now...and as far as last year i feel like KG deserved it more. Kg had no one around him last year. Joe Smith missed more than half the season and So did Wallys World and he still led them like he did. I think NOW if u take him off that team they would be OK but they wouldnt be a winner. But in years before...KG was defiantly the most valuable player to his team

Big Boy Laroux
02-27-2004, 10:27 AM
good point jamisonite, and i think that's another reason why KG will win it this year... because he actually deserved it last year, too.

samoan-maverick
02-27-2004, 11:23 AM
SHAQ...SHAQ...SHAQ

Shaq is the most dominant player in the game. Hes took his team to the Championship three times in a row.

Kevin Garnett doesnt deserve it, He hasnt even gotten out of the first round yet. And now people are assuming just because there doing great in the regular season, there gonna...not only get out the first round, but get the title. BULLSHIT. The Mavs did the same thing last year when they were winning all their games, But Dirk NEVER got any love for MVP. F*** the T'wolves.

TIMMY...TIMMY...TIMMY

If Tim Duncan gets it...I'll be happy. He knows how to win in the playoffs, He just got it done last year.

Drbio
02-27-2004, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by: kg_veteran
I'd agree that Duncan is probably the MVP every year the way the Spurs are constructed, but I have no problem with Garnett winning the award this year. He's certainly been the best player in the league this year.

Couldn't have said it better.

Big Boy Laroux
02-27-2004, 01:13 PM
samoan-maverick, this is the regular season mvp. playoff performance has no bearing on this. i still don't think the t-wolves will do well in the playoffs (they could, but i'll believe it when i see it). but that won't stop me from thinking that KG should be MVP.