PDA

View Full Version : Duncan on Injured List

mavsfanforever
02-28-2004, 02:43 PM
NBATV just reported that Duncan will be on injured list- which means he will probably miss atleast 5 games.

Link' (http://www.nba.com/transactions/current_month_transactions.html)

grndmstr_c
02-28-2004, 03:00 PM
Geez. Bummer for SA. For the sake of the game I hope he comes back all right after the rest.

OutletPass
02-28-2004, 03:22 PM
Spurs are fortunate that they have 4 at home in the next five games.

They play:
Denver
Memphis
Seattle
Dallas
At Phoenix

They could lose easily lose 3 without TD.

Too bad to see him hurt, though.

mavsfanforever
02-28-2004, 03:31 PM
I am suspecting the PR is not actually disclosing how serious the injury is. My feeling is that he might miss more than 5 games.

mavsfanforever
02-28-2004, 03:37 PM
I just understood that Spurs have not activated any player by putting TD on IL and thus duncan can come back if he feels good anytime before the five games.

DubOverdose
02-28-2004, 03:43 PM
I heard he was just supposed to miss tonights game against Denver.

mary
02-28-2004, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by: mavsfanforever
I just understood that Spurs have not activated any player by putting TD on IL and thus duncan can come back if he feels good anytime before the five games.

Right, as long as they don't fill his roster spot, he can come of the IL at any time - he doesn't have to wait five games.

Personally, I hope we face a healthy Spurs team next week.

bernardos70
02-28-2004, 03:53 PM
So do I mary, no more *'s next to our wins over the Spurs. I just hope he comes back because he's a great athlete and seems to be a great person as well. You can't really dislike Tim Duncan if you like basketball.

dirno2000
02-28-2004, 04:51 PM
Right, as long as they don't fill his roster spot, he can come of the IL at any time - he doesn't have to wait five games.

What's the point of placing him on the IL if you're not going to fill his spot?

kg_veteran
02-28-2004, 04:53 PM

Good question.

From the Mavericks standpoint, it sounds pretty harsh, but they really have to take advantage of this break and put some distance between them and the Spurs.

grndmstr_c
02-28-2004, 05:01 PM
One possibility might be that they aren't sure how long he'll be out nor whether they'll want to sign somebody. If they think there's a possibility that they might need to IL TD and sign somebody else, it seems they'd be better off going ahead and getting it taken care of now so that they'd have him available 5 games from now rather than 5 games from later.

Max Power
02-28-2004, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by: dirno2000

There might be insurance money involved too.

u2sarajevo
02-28-2004, 05:18 PM
Most of me wants to beat them again when they have their best player....

But there is a little part of me that wants to capitalize on this injury and get ahead of the Spurs** in the standings.

mavsfanforever
02-28-2004, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by: grndmstr_c

One possibility might be that they aren't sure how long he'll be out nor whether they'll want to sign somebody. If they think there's a possibility that they might need to IL TD and sign somebody else, it seems they'd be better off going ahead and getting it taken care of now so that they'd have him available 5 games from now rather than 5 games from later.

Thats the right answer. If Duncan can come back before 5 games they will be fine to just activate him this way. If they do not do that and then realize later that he may be out for more than 5 games, they will have to place him on IR at that point and that would mean an additional 5 games.

superheadcat
02-28-2004, 06:22 PM
From the Mavericks standpoint, it sounds pretty harsh, but they really have to take advantage of this break and put some distance between them and the Spurs.

i just hope mavs players won't be affected by this news, and play with a f'em attitude, with or without td.
with td, win the game, without td, blow them out.

mavsfanforever
02-28-2004, 06:45 PM
When will espn do some research before posting anything

Duncan will miss at least five games

ESPN.com news services
SAN ANTONIO -- Tim Duncan will be sidelined at least five games after the San Antonio Spurs placed the two-time MVP on the injured list on Saturday.

Duncan suffered a leg injury Thursday night during a loss in Dallas.

The team said Duncan had an irritation of the left patellofemoral joint, where the thigh bone meets the knee.

Duncan is averaging 23.2 points, 13 rebounds and 3.1 assists per game in 54 games.

The team had already ruled Duncan out for Saturday night's game against Denver and said his condition would be re-evaluated next week. Since he is on the injured list, he must sit out an additional four games.

Duncan limped to the bench midway through the third quarter of the Spurs' 115-91 loss to the Mavericks on Thursday night. San Antonio trailed by nine points at the time and went on to its most lopsided loss of the season. Duncan had 22 points and 17 rebounds in 25 minutes.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report
Link (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1746844)