PDA

View Full Version : Bill Walton is a moron

StvNash13
02-29-2004, 08:33 PM
Did I hear this correctly? Did Bill Walton just say that being a basketball referee is the hardest job in the world??????? Never mind the coal miners, the fire fighters, that's not difficult. Wow, when will the stupidity end?

DubOverdose
02-29-2004, 08:38 PM
His voice is annoying. I'd take being a ref any day of the week over plenty of jobs. I think every true fan of the game out there knows enough to ref. Every game I watch, I think to myself what each call should be as I'm sure most people do when they watch sports. From what I've heard about refs for college sports such as volleyball can make a good amount of money per game, so they should be expected to be very alert.

scorched03
02-29-2004, 11:58 PM
during the wolves game i think he said something like this:

who would let someone like me on the air. the producer said all these things like i'm too tall, ugly red hair, "has a speech impediment", etc etc
he named off the things wrong, which it was funny cuz true.

but he forgot stupid, worthless, annoying commentary as the biggest weakness

mary
03-01-2004, 12:03 AM
http://www.colosscollect.com/mags/si/si761213.jpg

I appreciate his dry sense of humor.

I guess you either love him or hate him.

mmmfast
03-01-2004, 12:17 AM
I appreciate his dry sense of humor. I guess you either love him or hate him.

I appreciate dry humor, but some of us just put up w/ Bill because he happens to call (term used loosely) some games I want/get to watch.

mavsfanforever
03-01-2004, 10:24 AM
I actually started liking Bill Walton. Some of his comments are classic.

The comments about Brian Cardinal being a future hall of famer we great.

Big Boy Laroux
03-01-2004, 10:32 AM
that's walton's best game of the year so far (for me). "brian cardinal... all-star... future hall-of-famer"

Drbio
03-01-2004, 10:34 AM
Every once in a while when he emerges from his dope induced stupor, Walton hits on a great line like the Cardinal line. Mostly though....he's just annoying.

kg_veteran
03-01-2004, 11:36 AM
You hatas leave Walton alone. i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

Drbio
03-01-2004, 12:28 PM
kg_vet loves Walton?

Believe me when I say I am restraining myself here. i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

Chiwas
03-01-2004, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by: StvNash13
Did I hear this correctly? Did Bill Walton just say that being a basketball referee is the hardest job in the world??????? Never mind the coal miners, the fire fighters, that's not difficult. Wow, when will the stupidity end?The coal miners use lamps, the fire figthers bombs and such, but the NBA has not provided dogs to the refs yet. i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

Often I prefer Walton than Barkley or some boring announcers of Fox and CBS.

LRB
03-01-2004, 02:25 PM
Saying Bill Walton is a moron is like saying water is wet.

samoan-maverick
03-01-2004, 11:04 PM
Often I prefer Walton than Barkley or some boring announcers of Fox and CBS.

True...

Barkley was a great basketball player, Definitely Top 10 of all time. But he has no right to say that the Mavericks have no chance, at the title. I think EVERYONE on this forum can agree with that.

I believe sports analysts should be great players, but also have the credibility, Now Barkley has his name in a lot of books but I dont see that, one thing that he lacks as a star??? What is it??? oh i cant remember... ah yess A FREAKIN RING!!

That goes for Kenny "the jet" Smith, Steve Kerr, TIM LEGLER(is that how you spell his name???), I mean these guys act like they made a difference in the league. Steve Kerr was lucky landing with MJ and Duncan.

I can listen to Sean Elliot cause he was a key ingredient to the Spurs 1st Championship. Bill Walton is great, he actually gives the Mavs the respect they deserve, although he does have a history of.... Nevermind.

twelli
03-01-2004, 11:18 PM
I know the players are underpayed (sheed told me so). but what about the refs? do they make enough money? and how about the commentators? are they underpayed? the toughness of a job should be related to the pay. in this regard a coal miner or a nurse has a much tougher job than any ref.
btw.barkley should pay for getting the permission to talk on TV...

EricaLubarsky
03-01-2004, 11:20 PM
What is your signature about, Twelli? I'm not understanding your situation here.

There may be something about pay- but it isnt about difficulty, its about quality and NBA refs earn a good chunk of change for three hours work. They earn more than they deserve IMO, but what do I know?

About Walton- I think he's classic. He's like a more likable Ronald Reagan. I enjoy his commentary- he isnt as partisan as some of the talking heads on TV. He is as clueless as Stephen A Smith but he's more likable since he isnt a Mav hater. He's just the master of the overstatement- he's like a little kid. When someone plays well they are allstars.

twelli
03-01-2004, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by: EricaLubarsky
What is your signature about, Twelli? I'm not understanding your situation here.

That's just a dream a like to dream...

EricaLubarsky
03-01-2004, 11:29 PM
Keep on dreaming, Mavs fans...

?

LRB
03-02-2004, 11:05 AM
That goes for Kenny "the jet" Smith, Steve Kerr, TIM LEGLER(is that how you spell his name???), I mean these guys act like they made a difference in the league. Steve Kerr was lucky landing with MJ and Duncan.

Well Stever Kerr did hit a shot at the buzzer that won a NBA title. I would call that making a difference. And quite frankly I'd take Kerr over Barkley or Walton any day. Steve was definitely now near those 2 in basketball talent, but he did play with arguably the best player of all time and on the best team of all time. He's been behind the scenes on championship teams and seen what the players and coaches did to prepare to win a championship. He also had to work his butt off to be a contributer on those teams and even just to stay in the league because he didn't have overwhelming talent. But most importantly he appears to have a brain and knows how to use it, something I seriously doubt with Barkley(does he have one?) or Walton(was it damaged by a bad drug experience?).

sike
03-02-2004, 02:11 PM
when will the stupidity end?
he gotta die some day....right?? he is human...isnt he?? !!!!!

StvNash13
03-02-2004, 02:32 PM
I think that Kerr does an OK job on TNT doing the games, but i hate his column. He says the most obvious things and there is absolutely no point in writing the stuff that he writes. For example, after the Nets win 13 in a row he writes: The Nets are playing well. Wow, thanks, we would have never figured that out. We really need sports analysts to point these things out for us.

Chiwas
03-02-2004, 02:37 PM
Kerr could improve in time; he is starting, isn't he?

But others are already stuck with the same old mental paraphernalia.

LRB
03-02-2004, 02:41 PM
I think that Kerr does an OK job on TNT doing the games, but i hate his column. He says the most obvious things and there is absolutely no point in writing the stuff that he writes. For example, after the Nets win 13 in a row he writes: The Nets are playing well. Wow, thanks, we would have never figured that out. We really need sports analysts to point these things out for us.

At least he doesn't say the Nets are playing terrible after winning 13 games. I certainly could see UpChuck Barkley saying something along those lines. Better obvious that totally without a clue. And it appears that Kerr watches the games instead of CSI like some analysts on TNT. i/expressions/rolleye.gif

scorched03
03-02-2004, 02:45 PM

i think the all time dumb award goes to isiah at least speaking wise. the jury is still out regarding GM duties i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

i lost count of how many times he said "the key to winning is that the team needs to play better defense and score more"
although i also dunno how many times walton said something similar

StvNash13
03-02-2004, 08:16 PM
My favorite line belongs to Doug Collins. It went something like When the Detroit Pistons score over a hundred points and hold their opponent below a hundred points they USUALLY win