PDA

View Full Version : Rod Strickland released

Jamisonite
03-02-2004, 01:36 PM
Associated Press
ORLANDO, Fla. -- Rod Strickland has been waived by the Orlando Magic, giving the veteran point guard the opportunity to sign with a playoff team.

Strickland, 37, requested and received his release following the Magic's loss in Boston on Wednesday night. He had to be waived before midnight if he was to be eligible for the postseason.

Strickland averaged 6.8 points and four assists in 46 games for Orlando, including nine starts.

In 16 seasons, Strickland has 7,889 career assists -- seventh in NBA history and third among active players behind Houston's Mark Jackson and Gary Payton of the Los Angeles Lakers.
.................................................. ..........................................

What do u guys think...with the injury to best and everything maybe we should pull the trigger on this guy???? ur thoughts

sike
03-02-2004, 01:51 PM
how much $$.....it might be a good thing....but how much?

TheBaron
03-02-2004, 02:40 PM
we could use another center i/expressions/moon.gif

Dirkenstien
03-02-2004, 02:58 PM
im not sure it would be worth it... who would we waive? ..how much would he want?

Drbio
03-02-2004, 04:02 PM
How come every time some other teams spare is released we get a thread about bring that same spare to Dallas? There is no room on the roster for another teams spare part. First of all, who do you cut. You don't pick up someone if they aren't going to play so that leaves out Steffanson. You aren't cutting TAW and eating the contract since insurance has kicked in. You don't bring in a spare to replace anyone at the end of the bench. Najera? He is more valuable. Who then? The answer is NOONE. We do not need to inject other teams shit into a team that has begun to play as a cohesive unit. This Mavs team is hitting its' stride and I expect great things from them.

Please...no more Let's bring in the other teams spare threads.

bernardos70
03-02-2004, 04:04 PM
The problem is we would have to waive someone, I think.... we have all spots filled, but I like strickland's game. As a backup, he would be great. But I hope Best comes back soon, what's the latest news on him? If he can be ready for a few games before the playoffs, that would be perfect.

doggnutz
03-04-2004, 07:30 AM
Originally posted by: Drbio
How come every time some other teams spare is released we get a thread about bring that same spare to Dallas? There is no room on the roster for another teams spare part. First of all, who do you cut. You don't pick up someone if they aren't going to play so that leaves out Steffanson. You aren't cutting TAW and eating the contract since insurance has kicked in. You don't bring in a spare to replace anyone at the end of the bench. Najera? He is more valuable. Who then? The answer is NOONE. We do not need to inject other teams shit into a team that has begun to play as a cohesive unit. This Mavs team is hitting its' stride and I expect great things from them.

Please...no more Let's bring in the other teams spare threads.

I think he wants to replace Best with him. Not sure who I would want out of the two (Strickland or Best) but I thought Best would be playing alot better than he has.

Jamisonite
03-04-2004, 11:18 AM
What im saying is with Best being hurt we could use insurance

Drbio
03-04-2004, 11:36 AM
You cannot waive Best while he is injured....it's a little CBA thing. So who would be waived then? It isn't going to happen. You don't add other teams garbage to a team that is beginning to play as a cohesive unit and you don't add a guy that isn't going to play.

Simon2
03-04-2004, 11:49 AM
Seems like the Mavs need to pickup this guy just for insurance. Best and Delk haven't panned out.

Jamisonite
03-04-2004, 12:40 PM
Best has panned out...delk hasnt however...im not saying waive best

doggnutz
03-05-2004, 08:49 AM
Is there even room to sign Strickland? Brevon Knight is also available what about him for insurance. I think I would rather see Daniels as the backup PG. The playoffs may have him shaken in his boots, whole different atmosphere.

MavsFanFinley
03-05-2004, 11:47 AM
Strickland signs with Toronto

March 5, 2004

TORONTO (AP) -- The Toronto Raptors signed veteran point guard Rod Strickland for the rest of the season on Friday and waived guard Jannero Pargo.

Strickland requested and received his release from the Orlando Magic earlier this month. He wanted the opportunity to sign with a playoff team.

Strickland averaged 6.8 points and four assists in 46 games for Orlando.

Strickland ranks seventh in NBA history with 7,889 assists in 16 seasons and third among active players behind Houston's Mark Jackson and Gary Payton of the Los Angeles Lakers.

The Raptors need a point guard because of injuries to Jalen Rose and Alvin Williams, who are expected to miss at least three more weeks.

Drbio
03-05-2004, 03:47 PM
Remind me to send the Craptors a thank you note for killing this thread. i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

kingrex
03-05-2004, 04:00 PM
I'd rather give Marquis Daniels more playing time at the point than bring in a spare point guard.