PDA

View Full Version : Ray Allen pining to join Lakers?

Evilmav2
03-07-2004, 11:24 AM
This strange excerpt is from yesterday's Seattle times. First Allen helps seperate Kobe's shoulder, and now he is speculating about playing in LA with Shaq? Weird...

http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:El_VYEQn2uYJ:www.rpspecialt.com/rayallenprintkm.jpg
Allen would fit in L.A.

In a moment of levity last month, Minnesota guard Sam Cassell suggested what he believed would be the perfect destination for friend Ray Allen if the All-Star guard was unable to resign with the Sonics.

"Ray would be perfect with the Lakers," he said. "With Kobe (Bryant) or without Kobe, Ray would fit in. They've been trying to find a shooter like him for years. Mitch Richmond, Glen Rice, (Isaiah) Rider. Ray would be perfect for Shaq."

When told of Cassell's suggestion, Allen didn't flinch.

He expressed similar thoughts at last month's All-Star Game, when he played alongside O'Neal and Bryant.

"I could play with Shaq because I know what Shaq needs. He needs touches," Allen said. "I've laughed at the feuds and squabbles they've been having down here between Shaq and Kobe. That wouldn't happen with me.

"There would be no power struggle at all. ... There's only a few players you look at and say, 'Yeah, I want to play with him.' Shaq is one of them because I've never played with a dominant center before."

Allen's contract expires after the 2004-05 season. He expects to talk about an extension with the Sonics this summer.

Seattle Times Link (http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/sports/2001872882_soninotes06.html)

tartufe
03-08-2004, 01:23 AM
Sounds like Ray is doing some campaigning.

ddh33
03-08-2004, 01:51 AM
Remember Ray Allen this summer. I think he could wind up with the Mavs. It's nothing more than a hunch, but it makes some sense to me.

Shaq Attack2
03-08-2004, 03:46 AM
Ray Allen's a loser.

Evilmav2
03-08-2004, 08:48 AM
Is it just me, or does Ray Allen's statement seem to disparage Kobe a bit?

He thinks the "feuds and squabbles" are laughable (implying that Kobe's roles in those squabbles are laughable), and then he says he knows that Shaq needs more touches (implying that Shaq doesn't necessarily get enough in his partnership with Kobe), and even implies that he could successfully step into Kobe's role as the supporting wing-man on a Shaq championship contending squad, and that no laughable squabbles would happen if he did.

This is all pretty funny stuff...

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/buck/image/2002/bryant210.jpg
Ray Allen: Eyes on Kobe?

4cwebb
03-08-2004, 11:10 AM
Didn't Ray make a comment last year when he dropped a high number on the Lakers? Something to the effect of "people forget that I was drafted ahead of Kobe". Yeah, no kidding Ray, mainly b/c you haven't quite lived up to the billing you had coming out of college. I'm sure he'd love to be out of Seattle and coasting on a team like the Lakers, but I don't know if the Lakers win a title with the Ray and Shaq combo.