PDA

View Full Version : Knicks sign F Thomas to contract extension

MavsFanFinley
03-09-2004, 11:50 PM
Knicks sign F Thomas to contract extension

March 9, 2004

NEW YORK (Ticker) - The New York Knicks re-signed power forward Kurt Thomas to a multi-year contract extension, team president of basketball operations Isiah Thomas announced on Tuesday.

Terms were not disclosed, but Thomas reportedly received a four-year deal worth $30 million.

Kurt Thomas, 31, had been rumored as possible bait to acquire Rasheed Wallace from Portland last month. Wallace ended up in Detroit.

Since replacing Scott Layden as Knicks director of basketball operations on December 22, Isiah Thomas has traded away seven players, waived one and made a coaching change. But he decided to make a commitment to Thomas.

"Rewarding Kurt for his hard work and devotion to the organization - both on and off the court - is the reason we have given him this extension," Isiah Thomas said. "His toughness and civic-mindedness epitomizes everything that a Knicks player should be."

The second-longest tenured current Knick behind Allan Houston, Kurt Thomas has averaged 11.2 points and 7.4 rebounds in 432 games with the Knicks over the last six seasons.

"From the moment I signed with the Knicks as a free agent over five years ago, this organization has treated me with the class and respect that every NBA player would want," Kurt Thomas said. "Since that day, I have made New York my home, and with this extension, my hope is that I can help deliver an NBA championship back to our great fans."

The 6-9 Thomas is averaging 14.3 points and team-leading 8.5 rebounds in 62 games this season.

The Knicks are in sixth place in the Eastern Conference with a 29-35 record, one game ahead of Cleveland and Boston and 1 1/2 games ahead of Toronto and Miami.

Dooby
03-10-2004, 09:20 AM
Unbelievable. Thomas as a free agent would get the mid-level exception. Why pay him $8/M (avg.) a year?

Thomas is smarter than the rest of us.