PDA

View Full Version : East 8th seed; 8 games below .500

Dooby
03-10-2004, 02:11 PM
It is almost guaranteed that the East will have a playoff team with a losing record. Currently sitting in 8th place is the Cleveland LeBron James's at 28 and 36. With 18 games to play, Cleveland will have to go 13-5 (.722) in its remaining games to finish without a losing record.

Not impossible to go 13-5, 9 games against playoff teams; 5 games against the West (including Spurs and Dallas, but including Suns and Warriors, too); 8 games on the road (including SA and Dal in a back-to-back).

Edit: I should note that 6th and 7th seeded NY and Boston are also below .500.

Nicky31
03-10-2004, 02:40 PM
Facts like these make me wish they would move the Mavericks and the Spurs or the Timberwolves in the east. I think that would balance out the 2 conferences alittle.

MavKikiNYC
03-10-2004, 02:40 PM
I don't think that it's a lock either for Boston or NY to win more than 40 games. It's really going to look bad for a team like the NYKs to ooze into the playoffs, while a team like Utah, which will probably have more wins, and with the majority of them coming in a head-and-shoulders-above better conference/division, will be likely to miss out.

This kind of makes me wish that the NBA could go back to a format where all teams play all other teams an equal number of games, splitting home and away appearances. I know that with expansion this would not be as easy to implement without expanding the number of regular season games as well. But there are very few teams in the Eastern Conference that I care anything at all about shelling out $$$$$ to go see. The imbalance of power between the conferences really dilutes and degrades half of the NBA's product.

Wondering what kinds of changes NBA will come up with for a 30-team league to make scheduling as comparable as possible; and if the league wouldn't be better served to have young stars like Yao Ming and LeBron James make more trips to opposite-conference cities.

Dooby
03-15-2004, 03:59 PM
There are 4 pathetic East teams with 30 wins: CLE; NY; MIA and BOS. In all likelihood, only one of these is not going to make the playoffs. That is just sad.

Chiwas
03-15-2004, 05:20 PM
If the seeds were given on a general table of standings, involving both Conferences, the East would improve perforce immediately.

Max Power
04-01-2004, 12:12 AM
The 4th best team in the East is just .500 right now. There is a chance that the 4th best team in the East could be sub-500 while the 10th best team in the West is over .500

bernardos70
04-01-2004, 01:09 AM
Explain to me again how this is fair? The whole midwest division is not only over .500, but with the exception of Denver right about now, are all making the playoffs.

EricaLubarsky
04-01-2004, 01:11 AM
Originally posted by: Max Power
The 4th best team in the East is just .500 right now. There is a chance that the 4th best team in the East could be sub-500 while the 10th best team in the West is over .500

It's a sad day in basketball. The best college basketballers are from the East, the best NBA teams are in the West.

At least the finals may be interesting this year. The Lakers beat the Nets without even trying. The Spurs didnt act like they wanted to win but the Nets played even worse. Here's for a competetive finals. i/expressions/beer.gif

Epitome22
04-01-2004, 04:13 PM
It's bad, but not near as bad as last season. Yah, the east still sucks, but an East team has the best record in the league and there will probably be at least 3 teams with 50 wins this season.

Nash13
04-01-2004, 05:03 PM
22, three teams may have 50 wins, but the others will be under .500. The fourth seed is one game under.

But i do think that the east is better, commercially wise. Small Market teams and past playoff teams like Miami, New York, Cleveland are doing better. Hopefully, it will bring more fans.

HeatFan7
04-01-2004, 05:33 PM
Miami will finish above .500

chumdawg
04-02-2004, 12:35 AM
Screw the also-rans. Indiana is going to have a major say in this years Finals.