PDA

View Full Version : Lakers, Knicks, Raptors - Checking out Rodman

mary
03-10-2004, 10:20 PM
Posted on Wed, Mar. 10, 2004

Long Beach 126, Kansas City 123

Associated Press

LONG BEACH, Calif. - After helping the Long Beach Jam capture the American Basketball Association championship Tuesday, former NBA rebounding champ Dennis Rodman expressed hope that a team - possibly the Lakers - will give him one more chance in the NBA.

Rodman, 42, returned to the Pyramid on the campus of Long Beach State University and grabbed 14 rebounds in 24 minutes as the Jam beat the Kansas City Knights 126-123.

Nine of his rebounds were on the offensive glass, and he put back one of those rebounds in the first half for his only two points of the game.

Sporting a shaggy haircut, which was dyed golden blond and dotted with gold glitter to match his gold goatee, Rodman said he had more bounce in his step than he did a month ago, when he was pulled out of his second game with the Jam because of a strained calf.

Alluding to the possibility that he may have returned to basketball too quickly last month after needing 80 stitches in his legs following a motorcycle accident last November, Rodman said "I needed to show people the real Dennis, not the gimp Dennis from a month ago."

Rodman did look like his old NBA self at times, frustrating Kansas City's big men with his positioning and defense, and he frequently dove to the floor chasing loose balls.

"I was a little more aggressive, had my hops, got the deer legs back," said Rodman, winner of five NBA championships with Detroit and Chicago and two Defensive Player of the Year awards. "If I had played 30, 35 minutes, I'd have gotten 20 (rebounds) easy, and in the NBA it would have been the same thing. Hopefully, I'll get a call in the next couple of weeks."

Rodman's agent, Darren Prince, said about six teams have expressed at least some interest in Rodman, including two teams in California.

"I'm not about to beg anyone to get a guy like me," Rodman said. "I think the Lakers should get me at least as an insurance policy ... all the (players) are falling like flies. They know I know the offense, know the system, know the guys.

"Hopefully another team will pick me up and I'll win a championship somewhere else."

Lakers scout Bill Bertka was one of three NBA scouts who attended Tuesday's game, with the Knicks' Jordan Cohn and the Raptors' Jim Kelly joining him. All three declined to comment specifically on Rodman.

"I just want to win another title," said Rodman, who's been sober for five months. "I want to go out there, prove that at 42, hey, I still got it."

Nicky31
03-11-2004, 04:44 PM
Rodman's fooling himself if he thinks he can pull 20 rebounds a night in 35 minutes at 42 in the NBA (especially in the playoffs, but I would love to see him go against Yao, KG, Tim Duncan, Shaq, heck I would love to see him matched with Danny Fortson against the boards. Not taking anything away from Rodman cause in his prime especially in Detroit he was a great defensive player probably one of the best, but he is well past those days...

What people will do for attention and money....

Drbio
03-11-2004, 04:46 PM
Rodman, as goofy and odd as he is, will out rebound 90% of the players in todays NBA even at age 42.

DNNF
03-11-2004, 05:27 PM
Cuban should definitely re-invite Rodman to stay at his mansion. Like it or not, Rodman will be the best rebounder in this team even he only play 20 mins.

dalmations202
03-11-2004, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by: DNNF
Cuban should definitely re-invite Rodman to stay at his mansion. Like it or not, Rodman will be the best rebounder in this team even he only play 20 mins.

Make that 18 mins and you've got a deal.