PDA

View Full Version : Pistons

Bookit
03-18-2004, 09:59 PM
This just in........the Pistons are good. They are smothering teams on the defensive end of the floor and could easily win it all this year. They held 5 in a row under 70 and held New Jersey to 71! On New Jersey's home floor!!? Damn, these guys are good.

SaltwaterChaffy
03-18-2004, 10:27 PM
The Nets also fouled the Pistons as they were running out the clock in order to get another chance at breaking 70! It took Aaron William's tip-in with 1.7 seconds left to break the streak. Amazing. I think that if anyone other than the Lakers makes it out of the West, Detroit could win the NBA Championship.

As good as their interior defense has become with the two Wallaces, I still think that Shaq would eat their lunch in the paint.

TripleDipping
03-19-2004, 10:35 AM
Don't forget Indiana...

No doubt this year's ECF will be a very good one.

OutletPass
03-19-2004, 10:39 AM
If they're scoring under 70 in the World Championships. I won't be watching it.

Unless the Mavs pull a miracle, that is ....i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

Big Boy Laroux
03-19-2004, 11:40 AM
ha ha
the nets were SO excited when they hit 71 at the buzzer

kg_veteran
03-19-2004, 12:09 PM
The Pistons do look pretty damn good.

(DISCLAIMER: Bold Prediction Follows)

They >>might<< have a shot to win it all.

dalmations202
03-19-2004, 12:38 PM
What would the Mavs look like with Rasheed starting at the 5 here ? ? ?

ddh33
03-19-2004, 12:56 PM
Rasheed's defensive abilities are the prime reason why I wanted him here. He's really improved them...

As a matter of fact, I still hope that we make a slight run at Rasheed this summer. He may already have his mind made up for New York, but he would help this team a ton.

dalmations202
03-19-2004, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by: ddh33
Rasheed's defensive abilities are the prime reason why I wanted him here. He's really improved them...

As a matter of fact, I still hope that we make a slight run at Rasheed this summer. He may already have his mind made up for New York, but he would help this team a ton.

I think my ideal off-season would be Rasheed, Tag, Brent Barry, and Chris Anderson to the Mavs, replacing Walker, Delk, Best, and TAW.

ddh33
03-19-2004, 02:50 PM
Your dream off-season will be hard to accomplish.

I think Rasheed is possible, although Detroit makes sign and trade possibilities much more difficult. If it comes down to the MLE, we're going to have a really hard time.
Ostertag should be gettable at the MLE.
Barry should be gettable at the MLE.
Andersen shouldn't get much more than the LLE.

But looking at all that, we need to realize that we can only get so much in free agency. The rest will come through trades. This team would have to be awfully creative, to say the least.

MavKikiNYC
03-19-2004, 07:49 PM
Detroit looks pretty solid, but I don't think Rasheed would have the same effect defensively for Don Nelson that he has for Larry Brown playing alongside Ben Wallace.

Both Detroit and Indiana look like they have some starch, while New Jersey looks like a defensive version of the Mavericks--all defense, no offense. That Mourning deal has bitten them in the ass big time.

I saw Milicic play last night for the first time. Garbage time only, but he looks very mobile and surprisingly fluid for an 18-year-old 7-footer, and they're projecting that he could grow to 7.3. Larry Brown has quite a mix brewing there. Wonder how far he can go with it.

OutletPass
03-19-2004, 08:08 PM
New Jersey looks like a defensive version of the Mavericks--all defense, no offense. That Mourning deal has bitten them in the ass big time.

-- Kiki, can you elaborate ? What's happened to RJeff in particular ? I've always thought that they had a nice mix of offense and defense...not the best, but pretty damn good...I see the stats this year for Kittles, RJeff and K-Mart and I've been wondering what happened to their Kidd led O.

Murphy3
03-19-2004, 08:31 PM
KMart reminds me of a better version of Anthony Mason offensively. I don't like anything he does on the offensive side of the ball. But, he's finally getting to where he can hit a high percentage of his 2pt shots.

Jefferson can't get any damn shots. He's amazingly efficient but the Nets have some serious pecking order issues when it comes to shots.

MavKikiNYC
03-20-2004, 01:05 PM
I can't honestly say that I know what's gone on with the Nets. From what I've seen, it looks like their engine Kidd may've slipped a little bit due to injury. Scott didn't do much to develop a PG backup so that the team wouldn't fall way off when Kidd needed rest, and the heavy minutes just caught up with him and the team.

Offensively, they very much needed some kind of inside scoring threat, which, I suppose is why they went after Mourning. Right idea, wrong player, obviously. (And no, I admit that Mutombo wouldn't have offered any more of an inside offensive presence than Mourning has. ) But they really needed more production from the $$ they sank into Zo. They are still playing decent defense this year, and individaually, K-Mart and Jefferson can still lock on to a guy pretty good at given point in the game. But if they have one defensive let up, and a team gets a 10-12 point lead on them, it's very, very difficult for them to catch back up.

K-Mart reminds me more of a young, slightly more athletic Buck Williams--with better hops. Not a go-to scoring threat, and unlikely to develop into one, but pretty good as a big man running the court in an open court game, and very able to finish inside with a player like Kidd setting him up. But if they try to post him or let him beat his man off the ball, he can't carry them consistently.

RJeff is very similar in that regard--a very good defender, very good in the open court, but just doesn't have the skills or touch to be a consistent offensive threat in a slower, halfcourt game. Both Jefferson and K-Mart HAVE to have Kidd in the game for them to have any chance at being effective.

So, they went after a post player in Mourning. He was the wrong player. And they've fallen off since last year. Somehow, that song sounds familiar.