PDA

View Full Version : Rockets sign Oakley to 10-day contract

MavsFanFinley
03-18-2004, 10:09 PM
Rockets sign Oakley to 10-day contract

March 18, 2004

HOUSTON (AP) -- Charles Oakley signed a 10-day contract with the Houston Rockets on Thursday, giving coach Jeff Van Gundy another player from his New York Knicks days.

The 40-year-old power forward hasn't played all season, but that did not deter Van Gundy.

``I know him; I trust him,'' Van Gundy said. ``He knows how hard you have to play to win in this league.''

Oakley, 6-foot-9 and 245 pounds, hopes to toughen the Rockets in their drive for the playoffs.

``Every team needs to let the other team know that no matter what happened with the score they are not going to be a pushover,'' he said. ``I'm coming here to bring some energy and extra power.''

Oakley started with Chicago, playing three years for the Bulls before his trade to the Knicks in 1988. He spent a decade with the Knicks, then was traded to Toronto.

He played three years with the Raptors and returned to the Bulls in a trade. After one season in Chicago, Oakley reunited with former Bulls teammate Michael Jordan by signing as a free agent with Washington in October 2002.

Oakley is the latest ex-Knick to team with the former New York coach. In January, point guard Mark Jackson signed with the Rockets. Patrick Ewing is an assistant coach with Houston.

ddh33
03-19-2004, 12:09 AM
Meet Yao's new enforcer.

NYCdog
03-19-2004, 01:52 AM
Meet Yao's new enforcer.

Forget that..........

With all those ex-Knicks they now have, meet the New York Rockets!!!i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

MavKikiNYC
03-19-2004, 08:15 AM
Good sign by the Rox.

It's exactly the kind of signing that Nellie would never have made because:

1) He undervalues physical defensive players

2) Oak can't shoot the 3.

3) Mutual antipathy from previous Nellie coaching stint.

Mavs.

Need new blood.

mavsfanforever
03-20-2004, 04:56 PM
Actually, I was really surprised to see that Oakley is still in good shape after not playing so many games. He is a professional. Good signing if this guy can give 10 minutes/game in playoffs.

kingrex
03-22-2004, 12:54 PM
I predict he will get more than 10 minutes/game in the playoffs. The ole' oak tree is built for playoff runs. He veteran, play-off experience and is still a tough rebounder's mentality.