PDA

View Full Version : Defense is it effort or athletisim.

jayC
03-23-2004, 04:20 PM
I think its effort at this level. After all how can a guy aka Dirk look so smooth on the offensive end and look so clueless on the other end of the floor. T-Mac and Kobe have similar builds but Kobe is recognized as the superior defender.

grndmstr_c
03-23-2004, 04:45 PM
Size/athleticism in general have an impact (Shaq will never be able to guard a pg no matter how hard he tries, and vice versa), but effort and understanding how to play defense are probably the biggest differences between defenders at the NBA level within a given position. And I will never understand why Dirk gets singled out so often. I can only think of one guy in the entire league who's defensive responsibilities get jerked around as much as Dirk's yet manages to defend well, and that's KG. Dirk is unquestionably guilty of having lapses in effort on both sides of the ball, but most of the problems we see this year seem to come more from the fact that he's being asked to play almost exclusively out of position. He's either the center with an atrocious perimeter defense in front of him and an undersized/underathletic PF next to him, or he's having to defend guards and small forwards on the perimeter, which, honestly, he does about as well as any member of the Big 5 save Finley when he's really getting after it on that end of the floor.

DNNF
03-23-2004, 04:57 PM
I think defense is in the players' heads and the coach's system. I'm sure Dirk can play better defense if he actually concentrate at it and think Defense first. But that is not the case with most of the mavericks. Even with Finley, he is considered to be one of the few Mavs that actually play defense, but at many times in the game, he just straight up lazy.

I believed this system of Nellie will not encourage anyone to play defense. His mentality of "If I can stop them, I will try to outscore them" will not take this team anywhere. He traded the defensive players away during the off-season and brought two more offensive weapons. I think that's about summed it up.

Murphy3
03-23-2004, 06:37 PM
I'm wondering the same thing about Fin, Nash, and Jamison. How can they sometimes look so smooth on offense but totally suck on defense way too often?

Or, I could just single out Dirk because of some personal grudge and/or lack of basketball knowledge. When Dirk played the majority of his minutes at the 4 last year alongside a shot blocking 5, his defense was more than adequate. However, Dirk isn't capable of being the last line of defense on that end of the court. It is painfully obvious.

mavsman55
03-23-2004, 07:50 PM
Effort, without a doubt. But most of the time, it goes farther than effort. Effort extends to the full-court presses and hard-nosed in-your face man to man defense and such, but strategy is what spells out the defense. This is what Dallas lacks the most. Their strategy is so bad, at times when they were playing N.J. there were 4 mavs in the key going for a stop, leaving 3 Nets wide open from 3 point range at one time. Physical ability doesn't have a whole lot to do with it as team defense is what pulls the defense together.

EricaLubarsky
03-23-2004, 10:38 PM
Its all three (because you forgot to mention intelligence)

mavs_afroman
03-26-2004, 10:49 AM
Defense requires a separte set of skills from offense. Quickness really goes both ways but other things such as reaction time, strength, and being a quick jumper are more defensive skills than offensive. That's why Dirk, even though more adequate offensively than given credit for, con be a monster on offense but not on defense. The same goes for Fin for the most part. A 7footer with the skills he has can make a defender react to him more than he reacts to the defender. Dirk and Fin both are great at just dribbling to the exact spot on th efloor that they wan to get to and pulling up for the jumper. When put into situations where they have to react quickly to the defender neither usually do as well which is one reason why Finley has never reallu been a great ball handler. Its also a reason why Dirk throws a lot of those jumper passes while bringing the ball up the court. Their best offensive talents aren't the same ones that would make them great defensivly.

However, with more effort they could be good defenders whih is all that most players in the NBA are anyway.

MightyToine
03-26-2004, 12:58 PM
Walker can defend but it's more a case of a lack of athleticism on his part that makes him so damn slow in moving his feet.....