View Full Version : Riley Watch--The Sequel

MavKikiNYC
03-27-2004, 07:46 AM
Part 1: The Adamant Denial

Riley denies Dallas rumor

By Ira Winderman
Staff writer
Posted March 27 2004

MIAMI As much as playoff possibilities hovered over Friday night's Mavericks-Heat game at AmericanAirlines Arena, there also was a tangible subtext.

Fueled by rumors, but strong enough to elicit responses from both parties, is the notion that Pat Riley could emerge from the Heat front office to take over next season on the Dallas sidelines.

The reports have coincided with the Mavericks' inability to produce quality, Riley-like defense during Don Nelson's coaching tenure.

With one year left on his front-office commitment to the Heat, Riley said there is no credence to the speculation.

"It is absolutely irresponsible journalism," he said. "If anybody throws my name out there, like that, for any team, any organization, it's absolutely irresponsible and it's wrong.

"It's irresponsible because there's nothing to it, absolutely nothing to it. I have to deal with it, we have to deal with it, but when my owner looks at it, he's wondering and it's not fair."

Mavericks owner Mark Cuban addressed such a report in the Chicago Tribune with a scathing retort on his personal Web site.

"I had never talked to Coach Riley in my life other than to say hello on the court after we played the Heat," he wrote.

Heat owner Micky Arison said he did not consider it an issue.

"To be honest," he said, "we haven't talked about it. I assume Pat's doing the best in the job he took and if wanted to do something else he'd talk to me about it, and he hasn't talked to me about it.

"I don't pay a whole lot of attention to rumors about him going to Dallas. I believe that if Mark got in contact with him, Pat would call and tell me.

"And until I get that phone call, I assume these stories aren't true."

OutletPass
03-27-2004, 09:03 AM
The adamant denial...I love that, Kiki.

Can't wait for Part II. "Nellie gets a vote of confidence"

MightyToine
03-28-2004, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by: OutletPass
The adamant denial...I love that, Kiki.

Can't wait for Part II. "Nellie gets a vote of confidence"

Followed soon by Part III. "Nellie gets a loooong vacation" i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

jayC
03-28-2004, 10:16 PM
If he comes here I would be ecstatic. But lets remeber this team was no where without Nellie. They had the worst statistical decade of anyone including the Bengals and Cippers in the 90's.

jayC
03-28-2004, 10:16 PM
If he comes here I would be ecstatic. But lets remeber this team was no where without Nellie. They had the worst statistical decade of anyone including the Bengals and Cippers in the 90's.

HeatFan7
04-01-2004, 07:18 AM
Pat is staying right where he is. Watching a team he put together grow and become contendors in a couple years led by Dywane Wade and Lamar Odom. Why exactly would he want to leave that again? The only way I see Pat coming back and coaching is, if the team he is going to is a clear cut contendor or have the pieces to be that and this Mavericks team do not right now. Last year? Very possible indeed but this year? No way....

MavKikiNYC
04-01-2004, 07:29 AM
I, for one, hope Cuban AT LEAST contacts Riley, and that he will ultimately be able to persuade him to either coach or GM the Mavericks.

It's interesting how Riley's GM job has come together--how the talent that he assembled, both players and coaches, have gelled and performed better than people were predicting at the start of the year. Far from quitting on the Heat, he revitalized them. One way or another, he realized when he could help the team most by stepping off the floor and focusing his efforts from the front office. And just as he's been successful every place he's been, he's demonstrated the ability to build a competitive team (if not yet a contender) as a GM.

Would that Nellie had the same capacity to understand when it was time to do what.