PDA

View Full Version : Insider Article on Mavs-Grizzlies/ Dirk-Gasol

Hitman
03-30-2004, 01:28 PM
Anyone have it?

Male30Dan
03-30-2004, 03:15 PM
You talk about deceiving... I opened this thread EXPECTING TO READ this article, and here you are looking for it...

Shame on you Hitman...

Shame on you indeed!!! i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

bernardos70
03-30-2004, 04:35 PM
Same here Dan. Where's thebac?

Male30Dan
03-30-2004, 04:41 PM
He has been absent for a while...

I remember OP promising to re-start his delivery of great Insider info if thebac didnt return... Where oh where is the great OP to fulfill his promise???

Dirkenstien
03-30-2004, 04:57 PM
someone help!

Male30Dan
03-30-2004, 05:15 PM
Are OP and thebac the only members with an Insider pass?

chumdawg
03-30-2004, 06:38 PM
It's Greg Anthony, so take it for what it's worth:

The Grizzlies are playing as well as anyone in the league, and while a tremendous amount of credit has to go to Jerry West for trusting his instincts and putting together a team that can compete with anyone, and to Hubie Brown for orchestrating that talent and pushing the right buttons, there is yet another reason this team has thrived, and it's called competition.

Memphis is thriving because it's players are constantly engaged in good, old-fashioned, healthy competition for minutes. Statistically, the Grizzlies don't do anything that gives them an identity. They can score (seventh in the league), but they won't always blow you away with points, like Dallas or Sacramento. Defensively, they are middle of the pack in points-against and field-goal percentage allowed. And they don't rebound that well (minus-2 differential per game). Yet since Jan. 1, Memphis has one of the three best winning percentages in the league.

So how are they doing it? One word: Depth.

When you have a young team without an established superstar (Pau Gasol is on his way, but he's not there yet), it forces everyone to play at high level or not play at all. This win-by-committee attitude works well on a young team, as long as management has created an environment for success. The Grizzlies' young talent has developed, and they now believe they can compete.

One of the most difficult things to do in sports is win consistently, because so much of that is psychological. There is a barrier a team or player has to cross to get to the point of being comfortable. There are a lot of teams with the ability to win that don't win, and that's because they haven't reached the point of actually being a winner. Memphis, though, has reached that point.

In addition to their great depth, they now have an understanding of what it takes to be a winner. Success on the court and leadership from the top on down have brought them to this level. Now the real test begins. When I was in Portland, we had a similar team -- we were 10 deep; everybody was capable of getting the job done; and we had become winners. But what allows you to become the winner as opposed to just a winner is the emergence of a superstar, and this is the stage Memphis is at.

The Grizzlies are dangerous and will be difficult for whomever they match up with in the first round, but the key to the next round and beyond is whether their best player can take the next step and become a true superstar or whether he maybe comes up just a bit short.

You have a similar scenario in Dallas, where Dirk Nowitzki is a tremendous talent and obviously one of the best players in the league, but he has not gone to the level where Mr. Duncan and Mr. O'Neal reside. (Though he hasn't won a title, Mr. Garnett is also in that elite class, because he has shown the growth and willingness to be great, which allows him to fulfill his potential and dominate both ends of the court). Dirk's talent is unquestioned, but his progress has not been at the rate that allows him to dominate a game at both ends, and probably will keep the Mavs from realizing their goal of a world championship.

That next level calls for leadership, not just verbally but by example, showing a willingness to carry a team at both ends, making everyone on the floor better able to take over a game when necessary and ultimately leading your team to the promised land.

Memphis has a chance to be great, and while they may be a player away from challenging for a title, a lot of their future will depend on whether or not Gasol takes that leap to the next level. He has the ability, but only he can fulfill it and make Memphis the next team to beat in the quest for the ring.

It will be fun to watch, because like so many he has the talent, but does he have the mindset for greatness?

scorched03
03-31-2004, 03:14 PM
i'll take time to do put it on the msg board if need be.... someone just needs to have an acct since i dont got one i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

OutletPass
03-31-2004, 06:27 PM
Sorry, just saw this thread.

ESPN now seems to have some type of block on the Insider articles so that they can't be cut and pasted anymore. I suspect that's qhy theBac hasn't been posting them. I'll see if I can find a way around it.

dude1394
03-31-2004, 11:00 PM
Guy makes some sense about the dirkster.

bernardos70
04-01-2004, 03:27 AM
Originally posted by: OutletPass
Sorry, just saw this thread.

ESPN now seems to have some type of block on the Insider articles so that they can't be cut and pasted anymore. I suspect that's qhy theBac hasn't been posting them. I'll see if I can find a way around it.

What's the block, you can't right click it? Just highlight it and ctrl+c to copy iti/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif If you can't do that, view the source or choose to edit the file..... unless it's an image or flash, but there's always the trusty prt. scr. i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif If you can see it, you can copy it i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

Poindexter Einstein
04-01-2004, 06:47 AM
I have tried to cut-n-paste some of the insider articles, or portions, and been unable to do so. That isnt recent. I dont have the technical expertise to figure out a solution. If anyone knows how to do so, info would be appreciated.

scorched03
04-02-2004, 01:17 PM
i heard to save the espn webpage as a txt file and then copy off of that. i could help someone do to so?