PDA

View Full Version : lakers spurs..

rakesh.s
04-04-2004, 06:27 PM
bowen was in kobe's head again..and kobe barely passed the ball 9-26..about 10 shots too many

spurs finished them off like they did in the playoffs last year

i'm amazed that shaq still hasn't started complaining that he should get the ball more because if he had gotten about 20 shots this game, the lakers would've won...is he not saying anything because of the kobe trial?

Drbio
04-04-2004, 07:48 PM
It just reinforced that fact that the lakers are Sha's team and showbe is second fiddle.

Showbe did not put his team first.

EricaLubarsky
04-04-2004, 07:50 PM
Shaq is the one who really scares me. The most painful thing for me to admit as a Laker-hater and Shaq-hater is that Shaq is right when he demands the ball more. Surround Shaq with all defensive players and 3 point shooters and that team would be as dominant as any other Laker team. All the rest of the team needs to do is get him the ball and pull players to the perimeter and away from him.

Lakers added a lot of talent but its subtraction by addition if they take shots away from Shaq. It's the same concept as Webber's return hurting the Kings. Shaq, like Peja is one of the best scorers in the NBA today.

rakesh.s
04-04-2004, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by: EricaLubarsky
Shaq is the one who really scares me. The most painful thing for me to admit as a Laker-hater and Shaq-hater is that Shaq is right when he demands the ball more. Surround Shaq with all defensive players and 3 point shooters and that team would be as dominant as any other Laker team. All the rest of the team needs to do is get him the ball and pull players to the perimeter and away from him.

Lakers added a lot of talent but its subtraction by addition if they take shots away from Shaq. It's the same concept as Webber's return hurting the Kings. Shaq, like Peja is one of the best scorers in the NBA today.

thing is, would shaq try as hard on the defensive end as he has been in the last few games if he were getting 20-25 shots?

EricaLubarsky
04-04-2004, 08:30 PM
thing is, would shaq try as hard on the defensive end as he has been in the last few games if he were getting 20-25 shots?

He's obviously capable of both scoring and playing defense, so it isnt one or the other but if it was defense or offense I'd say defense until the end of games. Shaq will always be more clutch from 3-4 feet than any guard driving or taking outside jumpers.

FreshJive
04-04-2004, 09:10 PM
But not from the free throw line. Most teams are not going to let Shaq shoot the ball, three to four feet from the basket at the end of the game. Bottom Line: Shaq needs at least one other marquee superstar (or really clutch roleplyer) beside him to get the job done in the fourth quarter.

Murphy3
04-04-2004, 09:42 PM
Lakers need to finish third with the Mavs at the 5th spot...that would be ideal

samoan-maverick
04-04-2004, 10:09 PM
Not Good at All!!!

Hopefully the lose will fire up the Lakers cuz now their back in that 3rd spot with us.

grndmstr_c
04-04-2004, 10:21 PM
After Memphis lost today, though, the Mavs are back in control of their own destiny as far as that 5 spot is concerned. The Lakers getting stuck at 3 could very well be a good thing, as Murphy pointed out

Shaq Attack2
04-05-2004, 03:28 AM
Props to the Spurs on a well played defensive game. Lakers were unprepared and most of all (and I hate this), seemingly lethargic/unmotivated to play. Shaq didn't seem to care and Kobe basically disobeyed Phil and chucked up 26 shots. When Shaq starts to care more and Kobe gets it through his skull that he needs to play within the offense (especially against a guy like Bowen), the Lakers will be fine against the Spurs.

bernardos70
04-05-2004, 04:48 AM
I watched this game and <insert bowen is a dirty player comment here, I agree>, but he got it done against Kobe. This 11 game winning streak had a lot to do with kobe being hot from the field. Bowen got on his head like he does most people he plays, and Kobe wasn't himself, you could see him doing things he never did in the win streak like just getting the ball and passing immediately without ever trying to make something happen by himself, inexplicably lackadaisical. Looked like Bowen just sucked the life out of Kobe.

Spurs Fan
04-05-2004, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by: Shaq Attack2
Props to the Spurs on a well played defensive game. Lakers were unprepared and most of all (and I hate this), seemingly lethargic/unmotivated to play. Shaq didn't seem to care and Kobe basically disobeyed Phil and chucked up 26 shots. When Shaq starts to care more and Kobe gets it through his skull that he needs to play within the offense (especially against a guy like Bowen), the Lakers will be fine against the Spurs.

Thanks from a Spurs fan. As usual, Spurs-Lakers put on one helluva game. Good luck to your team (I can't believe I just wrote that) and I sure hope everyone is healthy come playoff time....

WayOutWest
04-05-2004, 11:27 AM
What a game. Only caught the second half but what I saw was steady defense win the game. I didn't get the impression that the Spurs were shutting down the Lakers as much as they were able to disrupt the flow. The Lakers often found themselves improvising on offense and not getting their typical looks. When the Lakers wanted they could pound the ball inside but because of the pressure on the perimeter the Lakers had trouble with the entry pass. I assume this "disruption" seemed to go on all game, based on shotting %, with the exception of the opening minutes of the second half when the Lakers were getting dunks and layups. Typically I expect Kobe to make some of the big plays needed to win these types of games, whether or not Bowen is guarding him, but yesterday Bowen and the Spurs interior D made it too difficult on Kobe. The team D on Kobe was excellent, when Kobe would get by Bowen there would be someone waiting at the rim.

On the flip side the Lakers were able to clamp down on the Spurs on defense but only in short spurts. They couldn't keep up the pressure for any extended amount of time so the Spurs only needed to make big plays every now and then as opposed to the Lakers having to make big plays almost every other possesion. TD and Parker made the big plays when needed and Willis just seemed to get the crucial lose balls for put back or extra possesions. A more consistent effort on D from the Lakers is needed.

All in all it was a great game.

Shaq Attack2
04-05-2004, 06:21 PM
You too, Spurs Fan. i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

Thankfully Phil's smart, so he'll make the proper adjustments now that he's seen the best the of the Spurs and what they'll bring in the playoffs.