PDA

View Full Version : nike hoop summit

Julius
04-05-2004, 01:29 PM
Anybody knows a link. I would like to see the stats. There's a player of my hometown.

USA ROSTER
NO. NAME POS HGT WGT AGE HIGH SCHOOL/ HOMETOWN/ COLLEGE CHOICE
5 Jordan Farmar G 6-2 170 17 William H. Taft/ Woodland Hills, CA/*UCLA
10 Rudy Gay G 6-9 215 17 Archbishop Spalding/Severn, MD/*Connecticut
14 Daniel Gibson G 6-3 205 18 Jones / Houston, TX / *Texas
6 Malik Hairston F 6-6 200 18 Renaissance/Detroit, MI / Undecided
12 Al Jefferson F 6-10 265 19 Prentiss/Prentiss, MS/*Arkansas
11 Joe Jones F 6-9 250 18 Norman Gee / Norman Gee / Texas A&M
7 J.R. Smith G 6-6 220 18 St. Benedict's/Newark, NJ/*North Carolina
8 Josh Smith F 6-9 215 18 Oak Hill Academy/Mouth of Wilson, VA/*Indiana
4 Sebastian Telfair G 6-0 165 18 Abraham Lincoln/Brooklyn, NY/*Louisville
13 D.J. White F 6-9 230 17 Hillcrest / Tuscaloosa, AL / *Indiana
9 Mike Williams F 6-9 230 18 Wilcox Central High School/Camden, AL/*Texas

*Indicates college where the player has signed a National Letter of Intent

Head Coach: Marcellus "Boo" Williams, head coach, AAU (Hampton, Va.)

Assistant Coach: Joe Kleine, Little Rock Eagles AAU (Little Rock, Ark.)
Athletic Trainer: Troy Wenzel (Athletic Orthopedics & Knee Center, Houston, Texas)

NO. NAME POS HGT WGT DOB HOME COUNTRY / CURRENT TEAM
11 Wojciech Barycz F/C 6-10 235 4/13/84 Poland / Basket Rimini Crabs
12 Andrea Bargnani F/C 6-11 225 10/26/85 Italy / Benetton Treviso
10 Luka Bogdanovic F/C 6-11 220 2/11/85 Serbia & Montenegro / Red Star Belgrade
14 Yi Jian Lian F/C 7-1 230 10/27/87 China / Guangdons Tigers
8 Churchill Odia G 6-6 160 11/21/85 Nigeria / Montrose Christian H.S. (Rockville, Maryland/*Xavier University)
13 Juan Diego Palacios F/C 6-8 245 5/11/85 Columbia / Our Savior New American School (Centereach, New York)
6 Sergio Rodriquez G 6-3 170 6/12/86 Spain / Estudiantes Club Madrid
15 Michael Schroeder F/C 6-11 275 7/06/84 Germany / Goettingen
7 Roko Leni Ukic G 6-6 185 12/6/84 Croatia / KK Split
9 Marcus Vinicius Vieira F 6-9 215 5/31/84 Brazil / Mogi das Cruzes/Corinthians

*Indicates college where the player has signed a National Letter of Intent

Head Coach: Allesandro Gamba (Italy)

Assistant Coach: Marin Sedlacek (Serbia and Montenegro)

OutletPass
04-05-2004, 02:52 PM
Julius - I haven't found a box score yet, but here's an article on the game. Seems as though a number of the best Euro players (especially the big men) couldn't get free from their Euro teams to come and play, and the Russian boy who lives in Canada had "vis problems".

April 04, 2004

US Basketball
USA BASKETBALL: Josh Smith's 27 Points Leads USA To 99-79 Win In 2004 Hoop Summit

Oak Hill Academy (Mouth of Wilson, Va.) All-American guard Josh Smith scored 15 of his game high 27 points in the first half as the USA Basketball Men's Junior National Select Team rolled to a convincing 99-79 victory over a World Select Team in the 7th Hoop Summit Presented By Nike in San Antonio, Texas on Sunday afternoon. The Hoop Summit, featuring Americas' top senior boy high school players taking on a World Select Team comprised of the world's top players who are 19-years-old or younger, is played under international rules.

"Defensively, our guys really got after it. They wanted to win the game and the biggest difference between the two teams was that our guys really got after it," said victorious USA head coach Boo Williams. "The turning point in the game was when we put Daniel Gibson and Malik Hairston in the game. With Daniel and Malik coming off the bench, defending and playing hard, I think that was really when the game turned.

"When we first got the team together, we wanted them to be sure to know that this was not an all star game," continued the United States mentor. "We wanted them to understand that this was a game and we were going to play it like a game and coach it like a game and they responded to it."

The World squad jumped the American team early in the game and moved out ahead 8-4 and 10-6. Tied at 15 with 1:31 left in the first quarter, Rudy Gay (Archbishop Spalding / Severn, Md.) drained a 3-pointer with 41 seconds to play, then followed it up with another basket with 10 seconds left to push the U.S. ahead 20-15. However, the World team's Sergio Rodriquez connected from beyond the 3-point line at the buzzer to cut the deficit to 20-18.

Behind Josh Smith's eight points, six off of a pair of 3-pointers, the USA opened the second quarter with a 12-2 run to grab control 32-20. The World Team crawled back and with 22 seconds remaining before half, cut the lead to 44-40 following a 3-pointer from Croatian Roko Ukic. But with two seconds remaining before halftime, guard Sebastian Telfair (Abraham Lincoln High School / Brooklyn, N.Y.) nailed his only shot of the game, a 3-pointer, and the Americans retired to the locker room at the intermission up 47-40.

The U.S. dominated the scoring in the third quarter's first five minutes, outscoring the World Team 16-5 to take charge 63-45. Owning a 74-62 lead after three quarters, the USA's advantage never fell below 10 as the Americans cruised in for the win. All 10 healthy USA players scored, including four in double figures. Josh Smith led the offense with 27 points on 12-of-18 shooting and his12 made field goals set a new single game USA Hoop Summit record, improving on Zach Randolph's previous mark of 11 set in 2000.

"After the first couple of shots fell I was really relaxed and I played my game," said Josh Smith, a 6-9 forward. "This as an enjoyable experience, especially for us to play such team ball. This is the first time I've seen some of the top guys get together and learn how to pass the ball and be a team."

J.R. Smith (St. Benedict's Prep School / Newark, N.J.) added 17 points in the win, while Gay and Al Jefferson (Prentiss High School / Prentiss, Miss.) were credited with 14 and 13 points respectively. Telfair recorded a game high seven assists, tying the USA Hoop Summit single game record in the process. Although the U.S. was outrebounded 43-40, the Americans had 22 offensive rebounds compared to 16 for the World squad, and the USA outscored the World team 48 to 24 in the paint.. Jefferson led the USA's rebounding effort with seven, while Josh Smith added six and Mike Williams (Wilcox Central High School / Camden, Ala.).and Daniel Gibson (Jones H.S./Houston, Texas), each grabbed five rebounds.

With the win, the USA now owns a 5-2 series lead in the Hoop Summit and has won three consecutive Hoop Summits (2204, 2000, 1999).

USA Basketball Junior National Select Team Quotes

BOO WILLIAMS, USA Head Coach

On the talent level of talent on the World Select Team:
Oh they had some players. Number 10 (Luka Bogdanovic), number 11 (Wojciech Barycz). I really like the big kid from China (Yi Jian Lian). He's not as big as Yoa Ming, but he's a very good player, and is going to be a good player."

On Yi Jian Lian's strengths and weaknesses:
"The biggest thing with him is that he can shoot the ball. His strength is shooting the ball. He's also got great skills. His weakness is that he needs to get bigger. He's got to get bigger and stronger."

What he thinks about Yi Jian Lian's future in basketball:
"Oh he's going to make much more money than I make. He's going to make more money than I'll ever make."

On point guard Sebastian Telfair:
"Sebastian runs the floor. You can't ask for a better point guard than Sebastian. You know he is going to run your stuff, he's going to get the ball to the right people and then he's going to guard the other team's guards."

DANIEL GIBSON

On his overall experience at the Hoop Summit:
"It was one of the best experiences I've ever been a part of. I played on a team that traveled and played in France (an all star team not affiliated with USA Basketball), but we ended up losing. This was a fun experience in general, and we came out with the "W", so that makes it even better."

On the differences between playing the opposition he faced in his trip to France and the players he went against on the World Select Team at the Hoop Summit:
A lot of the faces were the same, but before they were on separate teams. At the Hoop Summit, we played the best of the best, all on the same team and it was a lot more competitive."

RUDY GAY

On why he was able to have success inside scoring (14 pts.):
"These guys play against men, so they know how to bang, to a degree. I had some success going to the basket, driving the lane, because they really guarded the perimeter, so I had room to get going inside."

MALIK HAIRSTON

On getting to know his Junior Select Teammates over the past week:
"Well, I got a chance to know them, last summer. Recently, it has even been better. We just came from the McDonald's Game. They're all great guys, on and off the court. There was great talent on this team. We had fun going out together to eat and hung out in each other's rooms from time to time, too. You don't always get that at camps and stuff."

On his overall experience at the Hoop Summit:
"It was a tremendous overall experience and something I'd do again without a doubt."

On the biggest difference he noticed about playing international players:
‘The big guys like to step out and shoot the ball and have a lot more of a perimeter game, compared to the guys over here (in America). So when they penetrated we had to stay out on the shooters, it spread you a little thin, as a defender."

J.R. SMITH

On getting to know his Junior National Select Teammates over the course of the week:
I've played AAU with some of these guys, and also the McDonald's Game. After this week, I feel like I really know the guys who I played with. This has been a good time and getting to know these guys better has been nice. I hope that everybody keeps in contact. I can't see why we wouldn't. It was a great experience off the court, because I feel like I built on a lot of relationships and made some new ones."

JOSH SMITH

On representing the United States:
It's different, because when you represent the United States you feel like you have to come out with a win, because it is for the country.

On whether the international game had any surprises for him;
"I knew how they played, because my high school team, Oak Hill, played in Spain. So I kind of had a basis for what it was going to be like."

SEBASTIAN TELFAIR

On the Junior National Select team really coming together and playing as a team:
Our biggest focus was coming in and playing as a team. We all can score and are all scorers, but from the start the coaches wanted to make sure that we came together and played as a team."

On getting guys involved on such a talented roster:
When I'm playing on teams like this, with such a high level of talent around me, it's easier for me to get some assists. If no one else is around to do it, I'm able to step up and run the team and make sure that we win, rather than try to get my individual stats."

On any surprises the international game may have had to offer:
"They ran a lot of different sets on offense. All week in practice coaches let us know that they were going to set a lot of screens, they were going to be very disciplined and that they were going to drive and kick out."

On what is was like to represent the USA:
It was very important to represent the United States, we were very happy, as a team, to be chosen to represent the United States."

When asked what is what like to play in this "all-star" game?
This is not an all-star game. It's a USA game and that meant something special.

On playing an international team, as more and more Europeans are being drafted to play in the NBA:
"I take it very personal, nothing racial, but the last couple of years you've had a lot of international players come through and get drafted. We wanted to come out and play fundamentally sound, play defense and win."

On being the "quarterback" on the floor:
I speak to team before games, whether it is an all star team or a regular game, and let them know the main thing is to win. If a guy has to score 35 points for us to win, then that's cool."

MIKE WILLIAMS

On what it was like playing in this game with Daniel Gibson, who he will be headed to the University of Texas with next fall:
"It was great. There was a bit of a difference in how I related to him and how I related to the rest of the guys, on the court. He pushed me a little more, and I pushed him too. We stayed on each other, but in a positive way. It was inspirational to have a guy that I've got a special bond with playing on this team."

On his first experience playing against international players:
The main difference was that their style of basketball has a lot more picking and the big guys love to step out and spot-up and shoot. But their focus on the outside helped us out, because we could crash the boards and had more room to work with inside. Around the basket I felt like I was working in space."

WORLD SELECT TEAM QUOTES

ALLESANDRO GAMBA, Head Coach

On playing against USA Basketball:
"We have to play like a tiger against them, but we are too soft. The learning curve for them (World Select Team) is long."

On the Hoop Summit experience for the World Select Team players:
"For the player, the experience of playing at the Hoop Summit is great. Many of these players have never left their country or been to the U.S."

On coaching at the Hoop Summit:
"I have great enthusiasm for coaching the Hoop Summit. This is a great time of year to be in America. I love the Final Four and all of the basketball. I love being in the USA."

LUKA BOGDANOVIC

On why his team came up short in the Hoop Summit:
"We just played too soft. There are a lot of good players on that USA team and they play tough."

On his overall experience with his teammates at the Hoop Summit:
"From the beginning it was great. The friendships I made here were great and the time we had in USA was great. I would do it all over again if I could."

OutletPass
04-05-2004, 02:56 PM
Here's another one :

Telfair still leaving NBA, Cardinals guessing
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pat Forde

SAN ANTONIO — The game the world will watch tonight is in the Alamodome, a grand and massive edifice in a distinctive downtown that is bursting with big-event energy. The game the National Basketball Association cared about was played yesterday in a squatty building on the arid outskirts of town, on a prosaic commuter-college campus. Dozens of pro scouts and general managers filled the bleachers to watch a group of teenagers who may never play a minute on the other stage.

That's the irony of the Nike Hoop Summit. The annual game between American and international teens is timed with the showcase event in college basketball, yet its best players have little if any use for the college game.

Sebastian Telfair showed his ability to set up teammates in the two all-star games he competed in.
And that was the unintended irony in the T-shirt Sebastian Telfair wore after competing in the Hoop Summit game. "Welcome to Bracketville," it read. "Stay as long as you can."

The question is whether the diminutive-but-dynamic high school point guard has any intention of setting foot in Bracketville. If he does, he and the University of Louisville could stay quite a while come the 2005 NCAA Tournament. If not, well, simply being in San Antonio this weekend will be the closest he ever gets to the Final Four.

Telfair played yesterday at the University of Texas-San Antonio, helping the American Junior National Select team to a 99-79 victory. He did not help himself much as a NBA prospect, however.

In basketball's strange modern era, where colleges root for their guys to play poorly in these events, Telfair's unspectacular performance could be good news for Planet Red. He made just 1of10 shots, scored six points, handed out seven assists, made three steals and suffered a thigh bruise on the game's first play that limited his assertiveness with the ball.

Not exactly a lottery pick's stat line — if you're drafting off this one performance. They're not.

If they were, Indiana University signee Josh Smith just made $10 million. The Oak Hill Academy star was awesome, scoring 27 points with a smorgasbord of skills: three-pointers, low-post moves, fast breaks, powerful dunks. If Mike Davis were feeling at all heartened by Smith's poor showing in the McDonald's All-American game last week, he lost all hope yesterday.

But Louisville's sliver of hope of ever getting Telfair into a red-and-black uniform might have gotten a little wider in the past week, after he had a total of eight points and 18 snappy assists in the McDonald's game and in this contest. How much wider? Nobody knows for sure. The spring all-star circuit is as rife with drama and intrigue as the national semifinals were Saturday night.

Everyone, from players to college coaches to NBA brass to the media, is wondering who's going pro and how high they'd be picked. Telfair himself was discreetly feeling out someone he knew about an hour after the game, asking for any feedback from NBA types. Some believe a decision to send his draft paperwork to the league is imminent but wonder whether the two all-star games might have changed the timetable.

UofL assistant coaches Vince Taylor and Reggie Theus were in the gym yesterday, watching signee Telfair and prospective recruit Juan Diego Palacios (who scored 10 points for the World Select team and looked remarkably unathletic doing it). Afterward they shrugged their shoulders and asked the same question as everyone else:

What did the NBA guys think?

(For the record: The NBA guys aren't sharing their thoughts — or notes — on high schoolers.)

As he did in the McDonald's game, Telfair played rather conservatively, content to set up his talented teammates. He did not shoot well and couldn't finish the few drives he made to the basket against the tall foreigners. Some suspect he's simply trying to protect his position in the draft — not risking a bad performance that could drop his stock. Afterward he said he has no timetable for making a decision about putting his name in the draft.

Thus the Great Bassy Guessing Game continues.

"He would be good enough to put Louisville in position to play in the Final Four next year," ESPN analyst Fran Fraschilla said. "But the flip side is, too many people have gotten in his ear, the shoe companies and other people. "The reality is, everything is a future draft. It's a baseball draft. If he does come out, someone is going to take him mid-first round. But there's no Triple-A to put him at until he's ready."

Draft analyst Chris Monter appraises Telfair as "mid-first round, worst case." But so much depends on which other guards are in the draft — from fellow high schooler Shaun Livingston to collegians such as Ben Gordon and Devin Harris. "If you're the coach of a lottery team and you have a 5-11 18-year-old," Monter asks, "is that going to help your team or get you fired?"

Telfair is, of course, a highly unusual 5-11 18-year-old. He understands the game on an NBA level, handles the ball and passes brilliantly. He's a coach's dream, shouting encouragement and instructions from the bench yesterday to his teammates — the only player on the Team USA bench to do so. His natural leadership skills, charisma and confidence are unquestioned.

"I'm going to be the one with the ball in my hand," Telfair said. "If the guys put the ball in my hand, I can almost guarantee we're going to win." He's a national sensation — LeBron Lite, if you will — and he handles fame's double-edged sword deftly for someone so young.

He tolerated the autograph seekers and question askers with customary poise yesterday. He said the right things about playing in a USA jersey, about enjoying watching the Final Four games on TV, about the possible benefits of playing for Rick Pitino. He firmly but politely deflected questions about his brother, Sylvester, recently charged with shooting someone. His comment about being on the cover of Sports Illustrated a few weeks ago? "That's cool; that's cute," he said. "But my mother's still in the projects."

Playing in the Final Four for Louisville next year would be cool, too. But it wouldn't get Bassy or his mother out of the projects, either. Only going pro can quickly remedy that situation. That might be what it comes down to in the end. For now, however, a sliver of hope remains for Planet Red.

OutletPass
04-05-2004, 03:42 PM
Julius, I'm guessing that your guy is Schroeder...Sorry for posting all these articles, but this one contains the only mention of him that I've found so far.

"More than 100 NBA scouts and dozens of NCAA coaches converged on the Convocation Center to watch America's best face the World Select Team of high-school-age players. If you're interested, America's youth ultimately prevailed by 20 points. But that's not the point. What was more interesting was that while superb U.S. talents like Josh Smith (6-9, 215 pounds) and Al Jefferson (6-10, 265) took over the game, showcasing great putbacks and hustle inside, the more technically sound center play came from the other side.

Smith and Jefferson might have wowed scouts with athleticism, running the floor, handling the ball like guards and overwhelming the World Select Team big men. Both clearly have bright NBA futures -- as forwards. It was the world team that had four legitimate center prospects contributing, playing with their backs to the basket, relying on jump hooks and post moves.

The most heralded of the group probably was China's 7-1 Yi Jian Lian, but one NBA scout said Yi looked timid in practices this week and still needs much work. The best of the group Sunday were Germany's 6-11, 275-pound Michael Schroeder and Serbia's 6-11, 230-pound Luka Bogdanovic. At other times this week, the 6-11, 225-pound Italian, Andrea Bargnani, was turning heads with smooth post moves.

This game proved that America still rules basketball. But foreign-born players are laying claim to the `5' position. At one point during the U.S. team's big second-half run that separated it from the world team, Bargnani actually got caught up in the Americans' fast-paced, athletic style. Maybe it was the TV cameras and all the dunking the young Americans were doing.

But on consecutive possessions, Bargnani tossed up 18-foot jumpers in transition. Italian coach Allesandro Gamba, a veteran of international basketball, raged. He called a timeout and benched Bargnani. Gamba's message to the big man was obvious as he scolded Bargnani on the bench: What are you doing taking those shots? Maybe if more U.S. coaches felt so strongly about big men playing like big men, U.S. players just might start reclaiming the one part of the game they've allowed to slip into foreign hands. The lane.

Julius
04-05-2004, 03:52 PM
Yes, you are right! Schröder is my man. I just heard on the radio that he scored 9 points and was the best rebounder. Hopefully I can read something in the newspaper tomorrow. Thanks for your work!

kingrex
04-05-2004, 04:03 PM
As a Longhorn fan, I'm glad to hear that Gibson and Williams already have good relationship. I hope that will translate on the court when they start NCAA play next year.

Julius
04-09-2004, 06:31 AM
Here are the stats:

The Official Site of USA Basketball

Men's Programs Women's Programs USA Basketball Store Senior Men Senior Women History Inside USA Basketball USA Basketball Home
USA 99, World Select Team 79

April 4, 2004 San Antonio, Texas

Game Story

2004 Hoop Summit Presented By Nike

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
OFFICIAL BASKETBALL BOX SCORE -- G A M E T O T A L S
World Select Team vs USA Basketball Select Team
4/4/04 1:00 p.m. at UTSA Convocation Center, San Antonio, TX
VISITORS: World Select Team (0-1)
TOT-FG 3-PT REBOUNDS
No. N A M E FG FGA FG FGA FT FTA OF DE TOT PF TP A TO BLK S MIN
7 Roko Leni Ukic * 2 7 1 4 4 4 1 4 5 2 9 2 3 0 0 28
8 Churchill Odia * 4 8 2 3 0 0 0 1 1 0 10 1 3 0 0 24
10 Luka Bogdanovic * 5 11 3 5 7 8 1 5 6 1 20 0 1 0 0 28
14 Ji Jian Lian * 2 6 0 0 3 3 3 4 7 2 7 1 3 0 0 28
15 Michael Schroeder * 3 4 0 0 3 3 4 5 9 2 9 1 1 0 0 21
6 Sergio Rodriquez 1 2 1 1 2 2 0 1 1 1 5 1 2 0 0 14
9 M. Vinicius Vieira 1 2 0 1 0 0 1 1 2 1 2 3 0 0 1 15
11 Woyceck Barycz 2 6 0 1 0 0 0 2 2 1 4 1 3 0 0 10
12 Andrea Bargnani 1 2 0 0 1 2 1 2 3 2 3 0 2 0 1 19
13 Juan Diego Palacios 5 12 0 0 0 0 4 1 5 0 10 0 0 0 0 13
TEAM ........................................ 1 1 2 1
TOTALS 26 60 7 15 20 22 16 27 43 12 79 10 19 0 2 200

TOTAL FG% 1st Half: 0- 0 .000 2nd Half: 26-60 .433 Game: .433 DEADBALL
3-Pt. FG% 1st Half: 0- 0 .000 2nd Half: 7-15 .467 Game: .467 REBOUNDS
F Throw % 1st Half: 0- 0 .000 2nd Half: 20-22 .909 Game: .909 1

HOME TEAM: USA Basketball Select Team (1-0)
TOT-FG 3-PT REBOUNDS
No. N A M E FG FGA FG FGA FT FTA OF DE TOT PF TP A TO BLK S MIN
4 Sebastian Telfair * 1 10 1 3 3 3 0 1 1 2 6 7 2 0 3 30
7 J.R. Smith * 7 15 3 11 0 2 1 1 2 3 17 0 0 0 0 25
9 Mike Williams * 2 5 0 0 3 4 4 1 5 0 7 0 0 0 0 16
10 Rudy Gay * 6 11 2 5 0 0 0 3 3 1 14 1 1 1 3 30
11 Joe Jones * 0 0 0 0 2 2 0 0 0 0 2 0 0 0 0 2
6 Malik Hairston 2 4 0 0 3 6 3 1 4 1 7 1 0 0 1 19
8 Josh Smith 12 18 3 6 0 1 1 5 6 4 27 0 1 2 3 33
12 Al Jefferson 5 11 0 1 3 4 5 2 7 3 13 0 1 1 1 21
13 D.J. White 2 4 0 0 0 0 3 1 4 2 4 1 0 1 0 10
14 Daniel Gibson 1 4 0 2 0 0 3 2 5 1 2 2 0 0 2 14
5 Jordan Farmar Injured
TEAM ........................................ 2 1 3 1
TOTALS 38 82 9 28 14 22 22 18 40 17 99 12 6 5 13 200

TOTAL FG% 1st Half: 0- 0 .000 2nd Half: 38-82 .463 Game: .463 DEADBALL
3-Pt. FG% 1st Half: 0- 0 .000 2nd Half: 9-28 .321 Game: .321 REBOUNDS
F Throw % 1st Half: 0- 0 .000 2nd Half: 14-22 .636 Game: .636 3, 1

OFFICIALS: Pat Rosenow, Eric Petersen

TECHNICAL FOULS:
World Select Team - none
USA Basketball Select Team - none

SCORE BY PERIODS: 1st 2nd 3rd 4th OT1 OT2 TOTAL
World Select Team 18 22 22 17 79
USA Basketball Select Team 20 27 27 25 99