PDA

View Full Version : Rockets lose again

mavsfanforever
04-07-2004, 01:24 AM
Rockets are in a position to lose a playoff spot if they lose any more games starting now. They have a tough last game against mavs on their last game of the season. Will they make the playoffs?

rakesh.s
04-07-2004, 01:39 AM
they better..because they play denver, the clippers and seattle..the tough games are at Utah and dallas

but they lost to GS tonight..so hell i guess utah and portland might both make it and houston might drop out..if that happens i think mark jackson will be the starting PG next year

rakesh.s
04-07-2004, 01:41 AM
sorry see above post..wanted to edit and ended up hitting quote..

Max Power
04-07-2004, 02:04 AM
Houston is going through a really rough stretch. They've lost 9 of their last 12 games and the 3 wins needed OT. But they would have to have a monumental collapse to miss the playoffs - they would have to lose at least 4 of their next 5.

MikeB
04-07-2004, 10:41 AM
Its hard to believe but they really really miss Kelvin Kato. Without Kato knocking people around inside Yao has been forced to be the enforcer and he is not yet and may never be ready for that role. I had them finishing at 48-34 but they already have 35 losses but they should beat the Clippers who are really playing out the string losing 11 in a row. Then they have 3 of their last 4 against either playoff teams or teams fighting for a spot. They need to win 3 of these last 5 to make it I think or it will be a huge colapse.

Dirkenstien
04-07-2004, 01:01 PM
anyone see the rockets making a push to acquire allen iverson for francis next season? Iverson would be a great fit in houston and philly, although not acquiring as much talent in return, would get atleast somewhat adequate compensation. I'm sure Houston would have to throw in a pick or two to make it seem more attractive for them. I could especially perceive the rockets attempting something like this if they fail to makethe playoffs

samoan-maverick
04-07-2004, 01:15 PM
I can definetly see A.I. coming. Both 76ers and Houston have a legitimate problem but, the sixers need someone to give Dalembert the ball. Francis is a ball hog.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dont see Houston getting in the playoffs, and if they dont it will be a TRAVISTY.

dalmations202
04-07-2004, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by: Dirkenstien
anyone see the rockets making a push to acquire allen iverson for francis next season? Iverson would be a great fit in houston and philly, although not acquiring as much talent in return, would get atleast somewhat adequate compensation. I'm sure Houston would have to throw in a pick or two to make it seem more attractive for them. I could especially perceive the rockets attempting something like this if they fail to makethe playoffs

AI a great fit in Houston ?? I thought they were building around Yao. Getting AI takes the ball out of Yao's hands. From what I have seen they are needing a Derek Fischer type, who brings the ball up, and then passes it in, or hits the spot up jumper with frequency.

Dirkenstien
04-07-2004, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by: dalmations202

Originally posted by: Dirkenstien

AI a great fit in Houston ?? I thought they were building around Yao. Getting AI takes the ball out of Yao's hands. From what I have seen they are needing a Derek Fischer type, who brings the ball up, and then passes it in, or hits the spot up jumper with frequency.

Yes, you are correct that the rockets are building around Yao, however that does not mean that bringing in a player of AI's endowment would hurt what they are attempting to accomplish in regards to advancing their improvement by strengthening their weaknesses.

1) Houston's defense is one of the best in the league right now, however they have the worst steals per game difference in the NBA. Allen Iverson has mastered the art of getting steals, as he has led the league in steals in multiple seasons. Thus, meaning improvement for the Rockets

2) Houston has one of the worst offenses in the league, averaging just under a pitiful 90 points per game, but are 10 and 0 when scoring 100 points or more. Allen Iverson, on the other hand, is a terriffic scorer, currently averaging 26.4 points per game, and has also led the league in this statistical category on multiple accounts. Thus, meaning improvement for the rockets

3) Allen Iverson would bring the same passing abilities if not better than Francis' to the Rockets. Not much of a drop off in that category, and I'm sure that if AI were teamed up with a skilled big man he would find him a lot more than Francis has. Thus, meaning no significant drop off in feeding the big man from China

4) The rockets desparately need someone who can take some of the double team pressure off of Yao. With all of the attention AI attracts, this duo tandem would be down right sick. By adding AI they would free up Yao down low as well as their outside perimeter scorers which would inturn create more offensive production. (See above for significance) Thus, meaning improvement for the Rockets.

Overall, this would be a great trade for the Rockets but you also must consider the correlation between AI's age and the potential drop off in overall production. It's definitely a gamble, but is it a gamble worth taking?

dalmations202
04-07-2004, 03:54 PM
<clip for space>

Yes, you are correct that the rockets are building around Yao, however that does not mean that bringing in a player of AI's endowment would hurt what they are attempting to accomplish in regards to advancing their improvement by strengthening their weaknesses.

1) Houston's defense is one of the best in the league right now, however they have the worst steals per game difference in the NBA. Allen Iverson has mastered the art of getting steals, as he has led the league in steals in multiple seasons. Thus, meaning improvement for the Rockets

2) Houston has one of the worst offenses in the league, averaging just under a pitiful 90 points per game, but are 10 and 0 when scoring 100 points or more. Allen Iverson, on the other hand, is a terriffic scorer, currently averaging 26.4 points per game, and has also led the league in this statistical category on multiple accounts. Thus, meaning improvement for the rockets

3) Allen Iverson would bring the same passing abilities if not better than Francis' to the Rockets. Not much of a drop off in that category, and I'm sure that if AI were teamed up with a skilled big man he would find him a lot more than Francis has. Thus, meaning no significant drop off in feeding the big man from China

4) The rockets desparately need someone who can take some of the double team pressure off of Yao. With all of the attention AI attracts, this duo tandem would be down right sick. By adding AI they would free up Yao down low as well as their outside perimeter scorers which would inturn create more offensive production. (See above for significance) Thus, meaning improvement for the Rockets.

Overall, this would be a great trade for the Rockets but you also must consider the correlation between AI's age and the potential drop off in overall production. It's definitely a gamble, but is it a gamble worth taking?

I guess you and I see AI's game differently. AI, IMO, is like TMac, and VC. He is a take it to the hole, and either score, go to the line, or kick it out to a spot up shooter. He is very skilled at scoring, and making it happen. He has to have the ball in his hands to do that though. He will take 25+ shots a game on average.

If you match him up with Yao, then you are clogging up the paint for him. Yao is no longer the focus, and now AI is. IMO,they should add a player like Big Dog with Yao. A player that scores in bunches, but can work backside cuts, etc. Jamison/Rahim would be a good fit as well. As for the guard, people like Daniels/Kidd would post AI all day long. He is good at steals, but not that good on lockdown D. IMO, Bobby Jackson, would be a better fit for a PG for the Rockets than AI or Francis.

MikeB
04-07-2004, 04:35 PM
I can't see Van Gundy putting up with Iverson plus I don't think it would be a good match for the team. Francis needs to go for sure and Mobley needs to become a 6th man gunner coming off the bench. They need a true PG who will pass the ball to Yao and not try to be the focus of the team.

kg_veteran
04-07-2004, 04:43 PM
Brent Barry might be a nice fit as PG in the Houston system. Damon Stoudamire might also work.

They just need someone who can handle the ball, take care of it, hit outside shots when Yao gets doubled, and occasionally create his own offense. Both of those guys would fit the bill.

kg_veteran
04-07-2004, 04:55 PM
If I were the Rockets, I might try to deal Francis to Detroit for Billups and Campbell, then sign Brent Barry with the MLE.

Ming - Campbell
Cato - Taylor
Jackson - Griffin
Mobley - Barry
Billups

That seems like a pretty good squad to me. Lots of depth in the paint, and you'd have a bunch of guys (Billups, Mobley, Barry, Jackson) who were capable of burying the three when Yao got doubled.

Honestly, though, I doubt Detroit would go for it.

MikeB
04-07-2004, 05:06 PM
Hey maybe a 3way where Iverson goes to Detroit and Francis goes to Philly? i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

dalmations202
04-07-2004, 06:05 PM
AI in Detroit? I'll have to think on that one.

Max Power
04-08-2004, 01:03 AM
Houston won tonight in pretty convincing fashion. Of course it was the Clippers, but a win is a win.

dalmations202
04-08-2004, 12:31 PM
Houston will get in, IMO. The question is "how are they going to play, once they get in", or are they just going to be happy for getting there.

mavsfanforever
04-09-2004, 10:56 PM
Interesting game between Denver and Rockets.

97-99 with a minute and a few seconds to go.

mavsfanforever
04-09-2004, 11:18 PM
Rockets win it and probably wrapped a playoff spot.