PDA

View Full Version : Has the East become "More least"...look at the numbers.

OutletPass
04-08-2004, 06:24 PM
An ESPN article:

Wednesday, April 7, 2004
By Marc Stein
ESPN.com

The Indiana Pacers' 20-8 record against the Western Conference just got even more impressive than it was. Because we've just been convinced that the West has dominated the East like never before.

It's not just an opinion anymore.

ESPN's unparalleled Research Department has done the actual math and determined that, through Tuesday's games, the West of 2003-04 has tied the West of 1971-72 with a cross-conference winning percentage of .632. Indiana and Detroit (17-11) are the only Leasterners with winning records against the West.

Slams and Dunks math, meanwhile, has determined that the West can establish a new record if Memphis beats visiting Cleveland on Wednesday night in the only remaining West vs. East game on the schedule before the NBA Finals. A victory for the Grizzlies would push the West's record to 266-154, for a winning percentage of .633 ... as well as put LeBron James on the brink of playoff elimination ... which might give Carmelo Anthony a new glimmer of promise in Rookie of the Year voting.

Best Winning Percentage Since 1970-71
Conference vs. Conference
YEAR PERCENTAGE
'03-04 West over East; .632
'71-72 West over East; .632
'00-01 West over East; .617
'70-71 West over East; .605
'88-89 East over West; .596
'02-03 West over East; .595

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And in the same article....

"The Dallas Mavericks are not deluding themselves. Don Nelson knows Small Ball isn't going to get the Mavs back to the Western Conference finals. At 6-6, Daniels, bottom, gives Dallas a bigger backcourt.
But ...Here's what it does do:

A. It gets his rookies on the court more, and those rookies -- Josh Howard and Marquis Daniels -- are not just Dallas' best defenders. They're the silver lining of the Mavericks' season. No matter what happens in the playoffs, both kids look like gems.

B. It gives Dallas a bigger Small Ball team than it had last season. Instead of Steve Nash and Nick Van Exel in the backcourt, it's often Nash and Daniels together. And while no one would dare suggest that Antawn Jamison and Antoine Walker have helped the Mavericks defensively, both rebound well for their position and make Dallas better on the boards than they were last season.

C. Of greatest importance, playing Walker at center theoretically limits his presence on the perimeter. The less he's out there, the less he's casting up speculative 3-pointers or keeping the ball away from Nash and Nowitzki. Playing center obviously isn't his first choice, but Walker certainly prefers that to not playing, which is where he was last month.

"... if Ainge has made a mistake so far, it was trading 'Toine too soon. Because of the modern-day marketplace, where only the unquestionably elite players get the megamillions now, Walker has been saying all season that he will not opt out of the final year of his contract. Meaning that, as he enters that final season at $13.6 million, Walker becomes a trade asset. Teams will inevitably want his expiring contract, which threatens to invalidate Ainge's argument that he couldn't have gotten more for 'Toine than Raef LaFrentz and Jiri Welsch."

chumdawg
04-08-2004, 07:44 PM
Admit it, Danny. You had a man-crush on Jiri, which is why you made that terrible deal. Admit it, Danny. Running an NBA team is just not your game.

EricaLubarsky
04-09-2004, 05:38 AM
Indiana and Detroit (17-11) are the only Leasterners with winning records against the West.

Yet another reason why I will never watch an NBA finals game if the Nets are in it. I take that back: I will only watch a Nets NBA finals game if the Mavericks represent the better half.

edit: tense! I seem to be horrible with tense late at night.

EricaLubarsky
04-09-2004, 05:43 AM
Originally posted by: chumdawg
Admit it, Danny. You had a man-crush on Jiri, which is why you made that terrible deal. Admit it, Danny. Running an NBA team is just not your game.

i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

enjoyable post.

Dooby
04-09-2004, 10:03 AM
C. Of greatest importance, playing Walker at center theoretically limits his presence on the perimeter. The less he's out there, the less he's casting up speculative 3-pointers or keeping the ball away from Nash and Nowitzki. Playing center obviously isn't his first choice, but Walker certainly prefers that to not playing, which is where he was last month.

Maybe I am an idiot, and maybe this has beend discussed ad nauseum and I missed it, but this never occurred to me.

Maybe Nellie is a genius after all.

kg_veteran
04-09-2004, 12:28 PM
"The Dallas Mavericks are not deluding themselves. Don Nelson knows Small Ball isn't going to get the Mavs back to the Western Conference finals.

I think it's a bit premature for Stein to say this, quite honestly. He doesn't know what might happen in the playoffs. If Dallas gets Sacto in the first round and Minnesota in the second, that looks like at least an achievable path to the WCF.

dalmations202
04-09-2004, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by: kg_veteran

"The Dallas Mavericks are not deluding themselves. Don Nelson knows Small Ball isn't going to get the Mavs back to the Western Conference finals.

I think it's a bit premature for Stein to say this, quite honestly. He doesn't know what might happen in the playoffs. If Dallas gets Sacto in the first round and Minnesota in the second, that looks like at least an achievable path to the WCF.

Dallas needs all of this posted on a bulletin board in the locker room...... along with Ralph Wileys "In the West, throw out Dallas, Portland, Utah, Denver, and, outside of the Laker matchup that L.A. wants to avoid, Houston."

A 6 game winning streak, and blowing people out in the last 10 of the season. Last 6 average winning margin 18.5. No one not beat by at least double digits.

And the media says - throw out Dallas. F'em.....

Max Power
04-10-2004, 01:33 AM
A victory for the Grizzlies would push the West's record to 266-154, for a winning percentage of .633

Since the Grizzlies won, the East has set a new record for pathetic. That conference SUCKS. If the playoffs were seeded 1-16, the only Eastern teams that would be favored to win would be the Pistons, Pacers, and the East teams that battle each other.

04-10-2004, 03:08 PM
I know, what Stein said some years ago: "Trading Robert Traylor for Dirk Nowitzki will never let the Mavericks reach the playoffs..." i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif