PDA

View Full Version : John Kerry's ad campaign: squeezing the purple heart dry

Evilmav2
05-03-2004, 06:06 PM
The following is some quite good commentary from the Journal section of the London News Review. I think the editor makes a very good point in negatively comparing today's wheezingly staid Kerry campaign with the dynamism of Dean's early primary efforts...

http://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/capt.efa10303232102.democrats_kerry_efa103.jpg
John Kerry's ad campaign: squeezing the purple heart dry

The London News Review
Monday, 3rd May 2004

John Kerry is opening his wallet in his battle against Bush. According to a story in the New York Times, media experts are claiming that Kerry's campaign has:

"committed to spend up to $27 million for more than three weeks. Mr. Kerry's aides would not comment on the exact size of the buy, except to say it would most likely set records."
What's curious about this story is that the only thing of interest about the campaign is the record-breaking size of the expenditure. Nothing that Kerry is saying is new or interesting. He's just spending a cool $27 million saying it.

Apparently, the thrust of the campaign is to be the mouldy old chestnut of Kerry's Vietnam heroics. According to the NY Times report, the advertisements "will highlight his biography and service in Vietnam, which his advisers have always viewed as his strong suits." How fresh and forward-looking.

Give me strength.

Kerry is still selling himself on a 35-year-old war record. Hasn't the warranty expired on that thing yet? Or does the American public have an infinite appetite for grainy photographs of a big-jawed man lolling on a patrol boat? Kerry had better hope so.

Then again, you can understand why they're going back through the old photo albums when the new snaps are as dynamic as this:

http://www.lnreview.co.uk/media/journal/sodynamicjohnkerry.jpg

35 years ago he was a war hero. Now he's just an old man in a yellow jersey falling off his bicycle and scuffing his elbow on the gravel. 35 years ago his massive jaw looked purposeful and strong. Now he looks like Mr Punch.

http://www.lnreview.co.uk/media/journal/sadoldkerry.jpg

The tragedy of John Kerry is this: the longer his campaign drags on, the more clearly we can see what was so exciting about Kerry in the first place....

Howard Dean.

Remember him? Howard Dean was fun. He was ebullient. Articulate. He was a brilliant, fiery opening act for a pointless headliner. It's Jimi Hendrix opening for The Monkees all over again. We just didn't realize how dull Kerry was because our applause for Dean (and Dean's own yells) were ringing in our ears.

And now we're left with a ghastly silence, which Kerry is trying to fill with the rat-a-tat-tat of his old tugboat gun. Really, it's starting to smell like madness, this obsession with the past. It's the kind of thing you expect of your lunatic uncle who 'saw too much' and now sits rocking on the porch with a thousand-yard stare and slightly too much drool collecting at the corner of his mouth.

Come here boy, and I'll tell you what I did in the war...

Not now uncle. Isn't it time for your nap...?

God help us.

Suddenly $27 million doesn't seem like very much after all.

u2sarajevo
05-03-2004, 06:54 PM
Speaking of Kerry falling down... have your read this? (http://www.drudgereport.com/kerryid2.htm) I got it off of Drudge and it's dated, so I don't know if anyone posted it before. What a classy individual that Kerry is...

XXXXX DRUDGE REPORT XXXXX FRI MARCH 19, 2004 16:02:35 ET XXXXX

KERRY CALLED SECRET SERVICE AGENT 'SON OF A B*TCH' AFTER SLOPE SPILL

Dem presidential candidate John Kerry called his secret service agent a "son of a bitch" after the agent inadvertently moved into his path during a ski mishap in Idaho, sending Kerry falling into the snow. When asked a moment later about the incident by a reporter on the ski run, Kerry said sharply, "I don't fall down," the "son of a b*itch knocked me over." The Secret Service agent in question has complained about Kerry's treatment, top sources tell the DRUDGE REPORT. Last month, Kerry began receiving Secret Service protection.

"Obviously, the complications and burden of being monitored 24-hours a day is not just an a simple inconvenience," a government source explained Friday. "But Senator Kerry should understand agents are working for his safety and well-being."

On Friday, Kerry, his snowboard strapped to his back, hiked past 9,000 feet on Durrance Peak, then snowboarded down the mountain, taking repeated tumbles. Reporters counted six falls, although Kerry was out of sight for part of the descent.

dude1394
05-03-2004, 08:20 PM
Yea I heard that. Nice... very french of him, I'd say.

Rush today was wondering how kerry can fall down on the slops and fall down on a bike, get his picture taken and no video of him falling down. Sort of like dole, bush, ford. Funny isn't it.