PDA

View Full Version : Mavs won't be hasty trying to trade Walker(DMN)

jayC
07-24-2004, 12:23 AM
Mavs won't be hasty trying to trade Walker

08:31 PM CDT on Friday, July 23, 2004

By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News

Trade talk percolating through the Mavericks is centered on Antoine Walker, but if offers don't get any better than what's been mentioned so far, the Mavericks may bide their time rather than get rid of Walker hastily.

The Mavericks have made it no secret that Walker is available. That's a tough bargaining position. But president of basketball operations Donnie Nelson said the club is not opposed to starting training camp with the 6-9 forward on the roster.

"We're getting a lot of calls," Nelson said. "I think people realize that Walk has value, not only because of his ability but because he's going into the last year of his contract. Wherever he plays, he's going to have a big season. But there's nothing close right now."

The latest speculation has focused on New York and Philadelphia. Knicks general manager Isiah Thomas has been a fan of Walker's, and Sixers coach Jim O'Brien got along famously with Walker when both were in Boston. The Mavericks are believed to have interest in Philadelphia's Samuel Dalembert and/or Willie Green, although other players would have to be involved to make the salaries match. Glenn Robinson is on the block in Philadelphia, but the Mavericks are lukewarm about acquiring him.

If the Mavericks want to combine Jerry Stackhouse and/or Christian Laettner with Walker in any trade, nothing can happen until after Aug. 24, 60 days after Laettner and Stackhouse were acquired from Washington.

Contract clarification: Marquis Daniels' five-year guarantee from the Mavericks is worth $29.4 million, not the $30.62 million that has been reported.

The difference stems from the fact Daniels is neither a "Bird" free agent nor an "Early Bird" free agent. He is entitled only to 10-percent increases, not 12.5-percent raises, yearly.

If the Mavericks exercise the sixth year option on the deal, the total is worth $36.75 million.

Point guard update: The Mavericks are still on the lookout for a veteran point guard. Milwaukee's Damon Jones is one of the best names left on the free-agent market. But the Mavericks have no money to spend and would have to trade a player for Jones.

Houston is one of the front-runners for Jones, who had an excellent playoff run last season. Atlanta, Seattle, Miami and Milwaukee also are vying for Jones.

EricaLubarsky
07-24-2004, 12:48 AM
I bet KG that he will be gone before training camp. All this talk about not shopping him and not being hasty is just spin control.

ddh33
07-24-2004, 01:10 AM
It probably is spin control, but it's right too. The Mavs don't need to make a panic move and deal Walker for something that will help them even less, despite what a lot of fans are saying.

Nash13
07-24-2004, 01:16 AM
I guess being "Hasty" is better than being "Hesistant."

The Mavs don't need to make a panic move and deal Walker for something that will help them even less, despite what a lot of fans are saying.

I agree, but it may not be up to Dallas anymore. They've already stated that they don't need him because he's not a good fit.

jayC
07-25-2004, 05:45 PM
The mavs need to buy time and wait for the right moment to hit. And do not take back any crap the knicks try to hand you. Trade Laetner plus 3 million for Dampier. Trade Finley, Walker and howard for Vince Carter and Penny.

Chiwas
07-25-2004, 07:48 PM
Mavs won't be hasty trying to trade WalkerThey were hasty to trade Jamison and don't want to be hasty to trade Walker...

Sheesh!

grndmstr_c
07-25-2004, 07:52 PM
They were hasty to trade Jamison
They got a good deal for Jamison.

EricaLubarsky
07-25-2004, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by: grndmstr_c

Exactly
AND lots of teams wanted Jamison. We need to find a decent deal in all the crap for Walker.

Richie41
07-25-2004, 08:25 PM
Even if he starts training camp, he's gonna be gone before december.

GP
07-25-2004, 08:30 PM
If Walker wanted to play elsewhere he should have opted out. If he doesn't come into training camp with a good attitude they ought to suspend him without pay until his contract runs out. At the worst, he sits on the inactive list all year and his salary comes off the book at the end of the year. They don't need to be handcuffed by bad contracts and players who can't play just to get rid of him.

Chiwas
07-25-2004, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by: EricaLubarsky

Originally posted by: grndmstr_c

Exactly
AND lots of teams wanted Jamison. We need to find a decent deal in all the crap for Walker.We lost the only natural SF that we have had in years and -using Donnie's words-, "populated several spots" with no overall upgrades (imo). If many teams wanted Jamison that would have been the best clue to not trade him, in the same sense that not many teams want Walker becoming the best clue to trade him asap.

Chicago JK
07-25-2004, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by: ddh33
It probably is spin control, but it's right too. The Mavs don't need to make a panic move and deal Walker for something that will help them even less, despite what a lot of fans are saying.

I agree DDH33. Walker will eventually be moved, but the Mavs should wait for the right move. I am surprised so many want to dump walker for anything. He doesn't fit here, but someone eventually will give you value. It may be at the trading deadline though. Walker is still a good player. He just doesn't fit this team. I am surprised how much hatred he has on this board. OH well, I am surprised with the Nellie hatred too. Walker plays an ugly game, so maybe that has something to do with it.

Murphy3
07-25-2004, 09:03 PM
Jamison is a natural Small Forward? How do you get that? He's utterly incapable of guarding anyone at either the small forward or the power forward spot. I suppose if you're looking at offensive contributions and offensive contributions alone, you 'might' have a case. But wasn't part of the reason why this whole thing failed last year was because of the over abundance of power forwards (dirk and the twans)?

grndmstr_c
07-25-2004, 09:04 PM
Josh is more of a natural SF than AJ (who nonetheless played the position quite well, of course). As for the pieces we got back, Harris figures to be our point guard of the future once he adapts to the league, Stack when healthy is a very good swingman, and because of his ability to create his own offense could be even more valuable than he otherwise might have been with Steve departing, and L8 should be able to give us some solid minutes in the frontcourt. Even if the Mavs don't intend to hang on to those two they both have very movable contracts. We got as good a deal as we could realistically hope to get for AJ. Don't dismiss the "populated several spots" quote as meaning that all the Mavs did was add warm bodies.

Stressboy
07-25-2004, 09:06 PM
Unless a good trade can be worked out, I don't mind keeping Walker around for a little while. I understand him being upset, but he will get over it.

I only say this because we have no idea how this team will play now that Nash is gone. Stranger things could happen than Walker finding his groove with the Mavs and staying for 3-5 more years. I would not bet on him being on the roster come October, but I also don't want to just give him away to get him out of here.

Stressboy

MavKikiNYC
07-25-2004, 09:07 PM
1) I think they traded Jamison in one of their telegraphed trade set-ups in hopes of getting pieces to deal for Shaq. But Laettner and Stackhouse are neither necessary depth nor talent upgrades. They are totally and completely redundant. The Mavs were also either foresightful or lucky in that they managed to come away with a PG prospect in Harris.

2) Jamison was a very good player offensively--one of the few bright spots for the Mavs last year. His work on the offensive boards, and his ability to score in the paint saved the Mavs bacon more than once last year. But as a SF, he was often playing out of his best position (he's probalby most effective as an undersized PF), and was admittedly a mediocre defender on his best nights. His skill set was not optimally complementary to Dirk's--AJ was better posting up, and was a weak outside shooter. Mavs should be looking to post Dirk more, and with Jamison in the game, Dirk tended to stay outside.

3) Jamison's tradeability and Walker's untradeability are, IMO, accurate indicators of their relative value. I would hate a dealfor Walker that brought any players on the NYKs; and would like a deal that brought Carter to the Mavs only a little bit better. I am very doubtful about Carter's ability to fit in, as well as about his durability. I'm growing more inclined to park Walker on the IR, keep him away from the team, wait and see if his value rises closer to the trading deadline, and if not, let him walk at the end of the year. Don't take crappy players or players who don't fit just to be making a deal.

Murphy3
07-25-2004, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by: Stressboy
Unless a good trade can be worked out, I don't mind keeping Walker around for a little while. I understand him being upset, but he will get over it.

I only say this because we have no idea how this team will play now that Nash is gone. Stranger things could happen than Walker finding his groove with the Mavs and staying for 3-5 more years. I would not bet on him being on the roster come October, but I also don't want to just give him away to get him out of here.

Stressboy

I don't see the correllation between Nash being gone and keeping Walker.

EricaLubarsky
07-26-2004, 04:22 AM
Originally posted by: Murphy3

Originally posted by: Stressboy

Stressboy

I don't see the correllation between Nash being gone and keeping Walker.

I hope I can sleep tonight after hearing that statement.